Note to New Members ×

What was your first board?

Guest RAIN

Sorry if this thread has been done before but I'm new here... and thats my excuse :cool:

Mine was a Sims 163 switchblade. Not a bad little board... and pretty stiff too if I remember correctly. I was in high school and I bought it with the money I earned from my part time job at Pizza Hut.

They didn't even sell snowboards in my province (born in pei) at that time (88'-89') so I had to special order it from a shop on NB.

I remember the day I picked it up at the grey hound station...:rolleyes:

A 175 Big A## Mountian Board from Glissade. Way too much board for me at the start. I wish I'd have know someone who could have helped me - the snowboard shop in Seattle really screwed me I think. I went on the next year to a 166 - much more sensible starter board. I almost gave up thinking all boards were the same.

Burton Elite 140 w/center fin, received for 14th Birthday. Bought from a store long out of business and rode King Ridge(had to be certified to ride) also long out of business.

Don't you ever wish you could go back in time, and do it all again.

Eric

The first board I owned was a 162Gnu Vertigo. I traded it in the next yrar as the darn thing did make me dizzy with that swirl thing on the nose.

First Alpine board Mistral Ecstasy 167. Rode this one and two more into the ground. Could carve like a demon on that with flat Ride plates. and do powder.

With the wood core, loved that board then they changed to Kevlar and they lost something. Learned on a Burton Elite 150? With the fins removed and the fastex lowbacks the season before, and rode Boreal when you had to get certified to ride Green circle, Blue square, or Black diamond.

My first board was the Sims Blade 1710 with the gold stripes then. :rolleyes:

However the first board I rode was the Burton Cruzer with the metal fin in the center. Yilkes. :eek:

My first alpine board was the Burton Alp with the Ram head (3 days use only). That was quickly replace by the Burton coil as the Alp board was a defect. Good spring board.

Double :eek:

Brunswick snurfer back in 1978. Yellow and black Bought brand new for 20.00 at kunkels sporting goods in Davenport IA. Put a bungee cord on it and made2 fins to go on the back out of aluminium. Kunkels is still around today. If i can rtemember them all I might post a list of all the boards I have owned through the years. And no I would'nt want to go back and ride all those crappy boards again! It was fun to see the equipment evovle to what it is now but we are fortunate to have the gear we have now.

Burton Cruzer 165 - ski swap with lawnmowing money.

Three strap black bindings with yellow burton insignia on back.

The base was convex and the board could not be flexed. Not much different from a 2X4 with ptex and edges. Although there was something much more inspiring about having 5 inserts than the current 3 :D .

Winterstick Swallowtail 165cm circa 1978. Rode chutes across from Alta, Utah. Broke this same stick and had it replaced by Winterstick. It wasn't until 1983-4 that I finally got to ride ski lift with a Burton Powdergun (I let the 'dope rope' and handle dance down by my bindings while I rode). Never felt my toes while riding until around 1995 when I finally bought real snowboard boots.

Mark