Note to New Members ×

Prior WCR 2010 vs Donek GS w/ Olympic Construction vs Coiler PR Titanal

groovastic

You really need to add a Tomahawk and a Kessler to your list. Remember there are board makers outside the North America. The boards with titinal will win hands down. Skiers have known this for years, take a look at the side wall of just about every race stock ski out there, you will be at least one metal layer. Most of the time this metal is titinal. I'm so glad some board makers are figuring it out. The others need to catch up because materials do make a differance, no matter what they might say.

You really need to add a Tomahawk and a Kessler to your list.

I totally agree with you! See the attached images, they show proper (picture with 2 riders, right one is a new Tomahawk with titanal, left one older Tomahawk without titanal) :) and improper :mad: use of the new Tomahawk boards...

post-148-141842215184_thumb.jpg

post-148-141842215185_thumb.jpg

Thanks Istvan,

Running length of the virus is some 6 cm longer than the prior. and of course Virus's waist is 2.4 cm more on diet. They were both made for my weight but prior's flex definitely feels (by pushing with my hand) softer. Overall SCR of virus is per number close to the WCR but since virus uses multiple scr's in the same board, it's hard to compare the two (at least for me). Chris Houghton may be able to explain this better.

I was very happy with the virus, but I was looking for a board that would carve deep at lower speed. Don't know whether WCR metal is going to deliver it but I am sure it won't be a disappointment either.

As for Kessler and Tomahawk, need to learn more about them and then who knows.

I've ridden the Prior Metal 183 (SES demo) and the Donek Olympic in a FC175 (mine) and one of the Thorndike 182 models (SES demo)

The two are night and day different.

The Prior Metal felt very soft longitudinally and very stiff torsionally. I couldn't make it chatter as long as I kept it on edge. It was certainly damp, and certainly grippy. I did however get the sense that I need to develop as a rider before I could truly appreciate it, I felt like there was something to the board I wasn't seeing due to my riding. Like I wasn't driving it hard enough. Then again my legs were absolutely shot when I rode it. I would need to spend a lot more time on one in order to get used to the way ot flexed. The stiff tornsional/soft longitudinal threw me off a bit. A few days later I am thinking I should try one of these again some day when I am not so tired and can do a few full hours on it.

The Donek Olympic has an altogether different feel. It is very "quiet" but not "damp" in the sense that a Coiler or thr Prior Metal is. It adapts very well to bumpy snow. You can still feel the snow through the board but it doesn't get thrown by bumps as easily a lot of boards including "regular construction" Doneks might. It's stiff both tornsionally and longitudinally.

My FC 175 is very lively and bouncy. The demo 182 was not as lively - not dead for sure, but more subdued. I spend a lot of time aboard my Doneks and that probably made me get used to the 182 demo pretty quickly.

Both were demoed in variable conditions that comprised mostly of good carving snow with intermittent bumpiness and a few patches of blown-and-skied-off chalk.

I'd like to try the metal again when I'm not so tired and hopefully when I've got another season of riding and improvement under my belt.

much does a tomahawk with titanal cost?

Been interested in them for awhile now but few people have info on them here in the US

how do they compare to other makers boards?

I've never ridden a Kessler, so I cannot tell you the difference. I have to put quite some input into my Tomahawks, but they give so much back: great edge, smooth ride, very good rebound. As compared to my former non-titanal SL: the new titanal alot smoother when riding it, great damping.

In the US Thedo Remmelink (from Holland!), coach of Steamboat Springs, is also riding Tomahawk, as do some of his riders. He was the one who advised me to go and buy a Tomahawk a few years ago. However, I could not find them anywhere, until one of our own riders showed up on such a board. Right now, over 10 of our riders are using them and at the dutch parallel slalom championships it was place 1,2,3 and 4 for Tomahawks.

Prices are around €700 right now, but I don't know the exact price.

If you want the email address of Tomahawk, just leave me a message.

Rode the metal WCR yesterday. Simply amazing. Very light weight, so I could carve a full hour above my normal limit for the morning (4 hours instead of the usual 3). Very very smooth and friendly ride. It carves deep even at medium speed. Can't wait to try it again in a few days. Thanks Chris for the Great Job on my titanal.

Very light weight, so I could carve a full hour above my normal limit for the morning (4 hours instead of the usual 3).

I wouldn't think board weight would really affect your legs that much. Assuming you have a board that is the correct stiffness, I find it's usually the style of riding (which is sometimes dictated by snow conditions) that has a greater impact on how tired my legs get.

Gabe

Chris Prior told me his Metal WCR boards are 25% lighter than his conventional construction. I thought it was noticibly lighter (and thinner) than other boards. I think the ride is so forgiving that your legs will last longer since you dont have to fight the board or conditions. It does alot of the work for you. Other than the weight, I thought the Donek FC 171 Olympic rode very similar to the WCR. Not as forgoving but still very a very quiet (some say damp) ride. Both are excellent quality and construction made by very conscientious builders. (note I rode the 177 Prior). I did not ride a Virus or Coiler but hope to in the future.

I am just a recreational rider with a limited knowledge of board and technique.

All I know is that I lasted longer on this board for any rational reason one may come up with.

Yes we did have hero snow on that day and yes I did have cereal for breakfast so all possibilities are wide open.

I'm quite curious about the Titanals and look forward to trying one out. I hope to get my hands on one of Bruce's earlier creations this week for a test ride.

Not sure if this is true, but I thought I heard someone say that the Prior metal boards are not warranteed against delamination?

Gabe

Paul,

The cateks work just fine for me on my Virus. I did try Burton physics on Virus as well but needless to say that cateks are far more solid and superior. On WCR I started with TD2s (should have started with what I know ((cateks)) as you did, but I was too lazy to take them off Virus) and I like TD2s too. I've only had 2 days on TD2 but I can't say I detect any major difference between cateks and bombers. Both are just solid, state of the art bindings.

One thing I noticed with Virus is that in the middle of the carve, you can shift your weight on the board and effectively change the turn into a tighter or a bigger one. With WCR I get "locked" in a turn with a determined radius and I have to commit to the turn as is. Again this may be just "me" and I am not an expert on this.

I ride 63/63 on Virus and 63/60 on WCR. The latter I might change since I've had only 2 days on them.

I spoke to Chris Prior about this, he uses TD2's on his personal metal board, and said that any binding is OK except that the old version TD1's with the small bases HAVE to be used with the bumper (B.A.D.) setup.

If you slam the tail into the snow to stand the board up you can expect delam, but it is repairable, not warranteed.

Sounded reasonable to me.

I run 63F/60R as well, but I'm thinking about going 63/63 on the Virus. I rode again today, but the results weren't as good as I hoped. I started out 65F/63R because I felt like my feet weren't angled enough on Tuesday, but the conditions were icy for several hours and this made riding a bit dodgie. I think in softer snow it might have produced better results, but I was very timid this morning on the ice. I changed back to 63F/60R and it felt more controllable, but not solid. Finally broke down and hauled out the F2 and made some good confidence building runs before I left for the day. Sunday will be another experiment/break-in day so I'm hoping the weather cooperates and gives me some snow like we had Tuesday. Thanks again for the info,

Paul

Cool,

I am heading up to squaw tomorrow and will take the tantalus to Granite chief in Truckee for a tune. The rest of the weekend I will be at kirkwood. Love to see this stealth from up close. Others may disagree but I would not hesitate to experiment with the bindings, positioned away from the center and towards the back of the board.