Note to New Members ×

Human Gates

Guest RAIN

Sometimes I imagine snowboarders sitting in the middle of the hill as gates. I don't hit them but us them for setting up lines and cut as closely as possible around them without, in my very very good judgement, being dangerous.

Does anyone other than me do this? :confused:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back in my punk kid days, we took it a step further...

the "Tourist Jib"

Just wait for one to fall over and then ollie the end of their board/skis and a little nose bonk as you're passing...

(this was a long time ago ... I'd never do anything like that now :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2: )

hahaha, i used to do that kind of ollie ages ago at winter park in early 90s too! now, i look back, i -really- feel bad for the people ive ollied over their skis/snowboard and scaring them.

speaking of human gates, i more or less keep my awareness acute considering my hearing impediments. so i gauge the people's skills skiing/snowboard, and i try to anticpate where they're gonna go. however, on narrow catwalk, it can be dicey. yesterday, i was hauling ass at vail and there was this n00bie snowboarder. i wasn't too sure about him but wanted to pass him quickly. -whistle- he abruptly stopped 90 degrees and i nearly ran into him or his snowboard. thank goodness that didn't happen. i think that taught both of us to be careful, me to at least -TRY- slow down the rossi world cup 184 in a very narrow catwalk and him to try not to stop abruptly in a very narrow catwalk.

Guest jschal01
Sometimes I imagine snowboarders sitting in the middle of the hill as gates. I don't hit them but us them for setting up lines and cut as closely as possible around them.

Does anyone other than me do this? :confused:

Well, then sooner or later you will hit them. Not cool. :nono:

Well, then sooner or later you will hit them. Not cool. :nono:

Hence my reasoning on avoiding them as much as possible. It's no fun to hit them, and to have 'em cursing at you. This makes me think of the Slope Rage posts, which I avoid reading. Ive seen too many of this kind of incidents on the mountain and it is very unpleasant experience on both sides. Even worst, fatal incident has stemmed from collision.

I had a "chance" to try one of these typical family-mountains last sunday morning... In all honesty I was hoping that if I show up at the openning, I'll get tired before it gets really crowded... well, guess what?! Moms aren't that lazy in North America... :biggthump Weither it is a good thing or not about moms I don't give a damn... But kids in NA are absolutely inadequate, that's for sure! And people-gating was just a part of a day... :angryfire

I find pleasure in tucking a shoulder at the "SLOW" signs while the Patrollers are watching.

They love me.......

Yep, I love doing that too. But at Stratton, it can be more risky; At Stratton, they actually have "Police"(Disguised as "Safety Ambassadords") at many of the slow signs ready to chase down anyone going "fast." Fast, I think, is a relative term. But I do adjust my speed accordingly because no matter how in-control the "speeder" might be, they will chase you down.

I had it happen to me one year: The "Safety Ambassador" was so intent on scolding me (Never mind there was nobody else on that section of trail at the time) that he came running through the lift corral, pushing others out of the way, and nearly fell over, had he not grabbed onto me for stability. He was all blustery and self-important until he realized we were the same age, and two of my "body guards" were on either side of me. The look on his face was priceless when I told him I was ignoring his waving arms and police whistle.

They seems to think we go faster than we do...it's a carving thing.

Next time that happens, ask if they define speed at which you descend the hill or at the velocity in which you make your turns!

You can't change their position, but you can change their vision!

;)

They seems to think we go faster than we do...it's a carving thing.

Next time that happens, ask if they define speed at which you descend the hill or at the velocity in which you make your turns!

You can't change their position, but you can change their vision!

;)

Heh, I tried exactly that a few weeks ago. Came to a "SLOW" sign, started cutting really deep turns almost straight across the hill, and they waved me to a stop. (It was ski patrol, not "hospitality ambassadors" or whatever they call them.) I pointed out that my progress <i>down</i> the hill really was very slow, and they eventually understood this concept. But they were unappeased...apparently they're concerned about side-to-side speed as well!

While we were talking I read the patroller's nametag, which gave his position as "Assistant Avalanche Control Supervisor," so I didn't want to be too much of a jack***. It ended with him saying "those are real nice turns, but I need you to slow down," and me meekly agreeing.

Being a cross over carver, I have been gaper bashing since the 80's, but I find it much more entertaining now, laying down the lumber for the slack-jawed awestruck wannabe's, keeping safety in mind of course. I have pulled up probably as often as I left the ditch behind....keeping in mind that the clueless aren't exactly predictable.

Guest jschal01
Don't worry Dad ;) , I never get that close; at least 1 or 2 meters and they are sitting on the snow, motionless.

If you've got it that much in control, and never get that close, then take it into the trees. You can go as fast as you want, there're never any speed police in there, and the trees don't care if you hit them. Or use lift towers or snowguns.

When the inevitable happens and you do then hit one of those inanimate pbjects, you may of course paralyze yourself or die, but that's better than catching an edge and then spearing little Mikey as he sits defenseless on the snow. Chicks don't dig it when that happens.

least -TRY- slow down the rossi world cup 184 in a very narrow catwalk and him to try not to stop abruptly in a very narrow catwalk.

Yeah I was on mine last Sunday @ Killington - had to put it away after about 11am - just too crowded for that board. Loving the 15m sidecut early in the morning though...

If you've got it that much in control, and never get that close, then take it into the trees. You can go as fast as you want, there're never any speed police in there, and the trees don't care if you hit them. Or use lift towers or snowguns.

When the inevitable happens and you do then hit one of those inanimate pbjects, you may of course paralyze yourself or die, but that's better than catching an edge and then spearing little Mikey as he sits defenseless on the snow. Chicks don't dig it when that happens.

Perhaps I painted an unintentional evil picture of myself...

My goal is not to go fast but to carve. I don't aim myself at people. I intentionally carve around them, like they were gates... Kinda hard to avoid at any mountain I think since the middle of most runs are full of squatting little Mickys.

Perhaps I should find a run void of people? To be honest, I wish I could but it has yet to happen to me.

As far as trees are concerned, I've yet to find a groomed tree run I could carve in (perhaps they do exist somewhere but not at my mountain).

All I am saying is that I like to fantasize while I ride. Makes it more interesting. :rolleyes:

Guest jschal01

Hear what you're saying. I'd just say you might want to intentionally aim as much between them as possible, rather than cutting close to them. If you think of them as gates there's something called target fixation that really does make it much more likely that you hit them. The tree riding analogy is that you don't look at the trees, you look at the spaces in between because that's where you want to be.

In all my years riding, I have yet to collide with anyone, cause a heart attack or hurt anyone's feelings :ices_ange (although once I ran over a squirrl while mountain biking... another storey:freak3: ) while snowboarding that is...if that makes you all feel better...

perhaps I should be a little more PC in how I explain things

Hear what you're saying. I'd just say you might want to intentionally aim as much between them as possible, rather than cutting close to them. If you think of them as gates there's something called target fixation that really does make it much more likely that you hit them. The tree riding analogy is that you don't look at the trees, you look at the spaces in between because that's where you want to be.

Today, we had 3 people helicoptered off the slopes. 1 snowboarder with smashed wrists and a broken leg, 1 kid who took the boarder's plank full-face, and the friend who took the boarder and ended up with a broken leg. This wasn't actually due to human-gating, but the related sport of snow-showering. It makes for an unfunny end to the holiday.

Simon

Heh, I tried exactly that a few weeks ago. Came to a "SLOW" sign, started cutting really deep turns almost straight across the hill, and they waved me to a stop. (It was ski patrol, not "hospitality ambassadors" or whatever they call them.) I pointed out that my progress <i>down</i> the hill really was very slow, and they eventually understood this concept. But they were unappeased...apparently they're concerned about side-to-side speed as well!

While we were talking I read the patroller's nametag, which gave his position as "Assistant Avalanche Control Supervisor," so I didn't want to be too much of a jack***. It ended with him saying "those are real nice turns, but I need you to slow down," and me meekly agreeing.

Had the same issue at Meadows at the bottom of the vista chair. They actually want you to go so slow you have take your foot out and push over to the chair ....

Jim

Had the same issue at Meadows at the bottom of the vista chair. They actually want you to go so slow you have take your foot out and push over to the chair ....

Jim

Yeah, that's a super-sketchy area - very badly laid out. Come to think of it, the Vista chair actually should start about 50 feet further up the hill. It would also help a lot if they'd move that !@$$#@ burrito truck! :)

i admit getting a buzz cutting around people ans seeing their expressions. However this one time i slipped out on a heelside about 2m uphill of the person i was turning around; hit them pretty hard and felt reallly bad about it- they were ok though. Now im more careful but still have the tendency.

I think if your carving around them, ie downhill of them and they are stationary its not too risky.