Note to New Members ×

carving decision

Guest rocks

I love long carves and short carves with tons of rebound, but i have a soft boot setup on a freeride board. I was wondering what kind of trade-offs i might encounter. I like to ride switch, i'm not driven by it. I like to catch air, but don't really do tricks, and i love moguls and powder. I was wondering if i would loose any or all of these options?

FWIW,

I really enjoy riding switch as well as goofing around in the bumps and powder. With practice you can adapt your riding style to accomodate all of these types of terrain. This can be made easier if you opt for a twin tip all mountain carver like an axis - not only can you float the freshies, but you can also crank some great rails when you transition back to the hard pack.

Bottom line: It ain't the ride, its the rider, so hop on a pair of plates, pace yourself a bit, and carve on:cool:

I've been wondering about the Axis...of the three custom makers, Prior, Coiler and Donek, its the Donek's Axis that intrigues me the most. It's shape and and attributes seem most it tune with my preference of a slightly wider all mountain board that I can ride with my Clickers...Anyone ever used an Axis with Softies???while there is no way I would consider a true race/carve board the nature of the Axis seems to lend it to a middle style not hard not soft...anyway I ramble

From what I have seen and heard, the Axis is the stiffest of the three all-mountain boards that you mentioned. An experienced carver friend said that the Axis was too stiff for pow or bumps. Ride any Donek and see that they are among the stiffest boards.

I just got my 174 4X4 and it rails on the groomed, I haven't tried it in the pow yet, but it does have a forgiving flex.

Hugh

...probably is stiffer than the 4x4, but it still makes a really nice all around ride. I weigh 170#, have a 172 Axis that I believe was a intial run proto model and take it everywhere. It has rapidly become my deck of choice regardless of the conditions. Also, if memory serves, Sean made them a bit softer after the inital year of production.

Any other feedback out there on the 4x4 versus the axe?

PS- In response to Gecko's post, IMHO I think the deck is a bit too much to ride with softies.

I think it's too stiff for softies, and unless you have low profile bidnings, probably too narrow, even at high angles something like a Salomon or Brton binding is going to be gangly on a 21.5 cm waisted board.

But I ride mine everywhere in plates. I've taken a run or two with Sean and let me assure you that he's light years ahead of me, but I can still hold my own on it in powder, trees, and jumps. I weigh 190 and with hard boots, the Axis stiffness is just right for me in powder. I tend to jump-turn it through bumps but with practice I'm pretty sure it would be fine.

I've never ridden a Coiler or Prior all-mtn.

Originally posted by rocks

I love long carves and short carves with tons of rebound, but i have a soft boot setup on a freeride board. I was wondering what kind of trade-offs i might encounter. I like to ride switch, i'm not driven by it. I like to catch air, but don't really do tricks, and i love moguls and powder. I was wondering if i would loose any or all of these options?

Hi rocks. I was pretty much like you at the beginning of last year. I like(d) moguls, powder, off-piste, carving, and getting airs (sounds like you probably like jumping off of rollers or windlips in the trees rather than hanging out in the park?). I made the switch to hard boots and a carving board last Christmas, and my experience is that hard boots are better control, and way, way more fun for carving, moguls, and some off-piste. Sometimes when the trees are really tight and I need to do jump turns I'd rather have my soft boots, but it's not a huge deal. I get the same amount of air on my carving board as I ever got on my freeride board. Landing is way easier on hard boots (you can land in a hard toeside carve, for example, and not worry about your ankles collapsing). If there's powder it's too soft to carve hard on the groom anyways, so I take the soft boots out and ride like I did before. I never rode switch before, so I can't comment on that.

Riding switch takes some practice... it's not harder but it definitely feels different. I think frontside 180s might be easier - and backside 180s correspondingly more difficult. But I was never much good at bs 180s in softboots either so it could just be me.

Ironically I have an easier time riding switch with 55/50 stance angles than with 45/40.

Other than the adjustment period for riding switch, IMO everything else is just plain easier in hard boots. More stiffness means more control and that's just plain good. The only time stiffness gets in the way is in midair - I can't "strike a pose" like I did in soft boots. Big deal. :)

Originally posted by Sean

...probably is stiffer than the 4x4, but it still makes a really nice all around ride. I weigh 170#, have a 172 Axis that I believe was a intial run proto model and take it everywhere. It has rapidly become my deck of choice regardless of the conditions. Also, if memory serves, Sean made them a bit softer after the inital year of production.

Any other feedback out there on the 4x4 versus the axe?

PS- In response to Gecko's post, IMHO I think the deck is a bit too much to ride with softies.

I'm about 185#in my birthday suit (when I'm in good shape). My present board is stiffer than every carving board I've tested it against over here however I also accept that the Japanese are shorter and lighter than me so their boards are likely softer than boards made for bigger framed americans...I've steepened my angles for control from 48/45 to 55/51 I've got loads of room on a 22cm waist with my clickers (probably due to small feet). A 172 is what I'm looking for as it has roughly the same effective edge as I have now and more float. Just for info I used to ride a 200cm in softies I'd still be riding it if it hadn't been stolen with the rest of my quiver.

I agree with Mark, keep your soft setup and buy a carving setup.

When riding the park/pipe, I find soft boots and shorter freestyle board a lot more forgiving - meaning its easier to recover from a mistake. Especially in the half-pipe, soft boots and shorter board is much easier.

Also, with a higher stance angle, I was more likely to rotate my board on a jump and catch edge on the landing.

I also find riding switch much easier with a flatter stance.

Get a separate carving setup to ride in the morning and go to your freestyle setup after the cordoroy gets all hacked up.

GdBoyTyler

I thank you all for your input.

I don't live in a cold area so all the snowboarding i do requires travel. This makes taking both soft and hard setups really difficult. I would love to use a carving setup, I just don't know how much terrain i would have to sacrifice.

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

The only terrain that really suffers is park/pipe. If those don't matter to you, get yourself some hard boots and an Axis or 4X4 and let 'er rip.

Funny thing is I saw a lot of hard booters nailing the doubles/kickers in the terrain park, most just grabing Indy or Method but a few were pulling 360's, grabbed and straight

Originally posted by Gecko

Funny thing is I saw a lot of hard booters nailing the doubles/kickers in the terrain park, most just grabing Indy or Method but a few were pulling 360's, grabbed and straight

Yeah, you can do it but you're using the wrong tool for the job. If your idea of freeriding is looking for every hit you can find, hardboots are probably not for you. If your idea of freeriding is going fast and turning hard, and you enjoy the mountain itself, not the artificial terrain added to it, then I think hardboots and an all-mountain board are for you. You can still air it out, too - but if you want to land switch, it's harder.

I ride an old Prior 4X4 165 and Raichle 224s, and I take it in the bumps, the trees, the steeps - truth to tell, I'd rather be any of those places than on the groomed, which is heresy on this forum but there you have it. Not that groomers aren't fun, too...

If I had to change anything on my setup, I'd like to go a little longer and with an upturned tail (my old Prior has a straight tail). I'm eyeing the Axis 182 or the 4X4 179, and have a yearning for a Tanker 200 too. I'd keep the 165 for a bump board.

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Yeah, you can do it but you're using the wrong tool for the job. If your idea of freeriding is looking for every hit you can find, hardboots are probably not for you. If your idea of freeriding is going fast and turning hard, and you enjoy the mountain itself, not the artificial terrain added to it, then I think hardboots and an all-mountain board are for you. You can still air it out, too - but if you want to land switch, it's harder.

No...my Idea of snowboarding is cruising at high speed and airing only when something pops up in front of me...I just like to air stylishly when I do so...my only stylish air is a nose boned Indy (frontside & occasionally b-side) I also have an ugly Crail (Backside) I cruise terrain parks only if they are empty (more so here in Japan than anyplace else I've ever seen or heard of) and then only to make a hit of two and leave but they are good for practice

thanks for the input, i'm convinced now, need to decide the setup. Sounds like the axis or the 4x4. I weigh 190 lbs, so the boards might ride a little softer for me than others, and i have size 11 boots.

Can I get some advice on boots and bindings please?

I will probably want step-ins.Can I also get advice on board length, i currently ride a 163 in a soft freeride board.

Regarding length - I'd go with either the Axis 172 or the 4X4 174 but I'd talk to Sean or Chris about it first. I weigh about the same as you do and find the 165 a little short, but then it's an older model and things have likely changed.

For boots - I have the old Raichle 224 and love them for general riding. I think the Deeluxe 423 is the current equivalent, maybe people who are more up on the current boots can advise you better.

Bindings - I'd run with step-ins for sure. Bombers are the weapon of choice here but I think you could also be happy with Proflex (I think F2/Deeluxe/Raichle bindings are all Proflex, I may be wrong).

All of this stuff is available through the shop here on BOL.

Like I said above, I'm also 190 and the Axis 172 is just right. I'm a size 25.0 MP shell and keep flip-flopping between mellower angles (48/42) to get the ideal boot position, and more comfortable angles for me (54/51) with a little underhang... your size 11's would be fine these boards. I've only ridden mine with Cateks, but I see a pair of TD2 step-ins in my future, I want the extra dampening of the TD2 w/ soft e-ring, and LOVE the intec step-in interface.

The Deeluxe LeMans is the current version of the Raichle 224, and IMHO makes an awesome all-around boot. If you want to stiffen them up a little, see if anyone has the softer tongue from a pair of 225 or 325's to sell you. I've owned the 224 and 423 and the only differences I could see are cosmetic... the 324 and LeMans are different year models of the same design.