• over 20 degrees
    • over 15
    • over 0
    • above - 10
    • above - 20
    • above - 40
    • What is this "cold" you speak of???

Guest mphdemon

I don't know where all of you are from, but for those living in New England right now anyway, it's been in the negatives for the past few days now, and I was wondering who's been going anyways? Tomorrow it's supposed to be as low as -40 degrees, is anybody gonna go? I wish I could but I don't think my parents would ever let me get near my car. So who's been going out anyways? and if you have been going out then how cold would it have to be for you to decide not to go?

Originally posted by mphdemon

I don't know where all of you are from, but for those living in New England right now anyway, it's been in the negatives for the past few days now, and I was wondering who's been going anyways? Tomorrow it's supposed to be as low as -40 degrees, is anybody gonna go? I wish I could but I don't think my parents would ever let me get near my car. So who's been going out anyways? and if you have been going out then how cold would it have to be for you to decide not to go?

I'm assuming you mean -40 with wind chill, with the well temperature in the low negatives. I've been up into Quebec Canada couple of times to snowboard in the January chill and it gets pretty darn cold (like -20 with windchill -40) wait that's celsius so like -6 and -40 (oddly -40 is same for both systems).

I looked like a marshmellow man because I was wearing a down jacket under a shell, with a fleece vest under that. The key thing was having absolutely no exposed skin. After that it wasn't so bad as your breath warmed up the air as you breathe inside the mask.

Still, any colder... or if I haven't been prepared with the proper winter wear and I would have stayed in... we had a few people get frostbite after our first run (white nosetips and cheeks) so we rushed them in an got facemasks. Sunday River can get pretty cold as well.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

When will you finally figure out that those archaic units of measurement you use have been replaced in every other country of the world?

Anyway, the poll makes no sense. How can "over 0" or "above -10" be too cold? It should be "below 0" or "below -10".

Hehe... true... at least they use the metric system in science and engineering classes now... that actually changed while I was in school! Temperatures is another thing.... hard to go from saying it's 70 degrees to saying it's 22 degrees to say it's nice cool temperature... don't know if we'll ever change from that.

I agree about the poll being weirdly worded.

To all, let's not get this into a big US vs the world argument as one already started on the USENET newsgroups.

We just had some minus 24 to 28 degree celcius excluding windchill in whistler aboot a week and a half ago.(hey its cold for out here)

Wasnt to bad but ya gots ta cover the exposed skin

Those face covering balaclava things are okay but the condensation from breathing freezing the mask to your face kind of unpleasant.......solution.

Wear a full face helmet, duct or hockey tape a toque over the chin bar, all exposed skin covered and nothing directly contacting the skin around the mouth n nose area.

You will get some funny looks but not as much as the guy whose nose turns black falls off and ends up with a michael jackson nasal prosthetic.

My biggest problem in our west coastal cold was getting wax that would slide on the colder than usual snow and the shocks freezing up on the old car.

Originally posted by lonerider

I'm assuming you mean -40 with wind chill, with the well temperature in the low negatives. I've been up into Quebec Canada couple of times to snowboard in the January chill and it gets pretty darn cold (like -20 with windchill -40) wait that's celsius so like -6 and -40 (oddly -40 is same for both systems).

The temps have been ridiculous up here in NH. All week long the high temps have not cracked the 0F mark. Concord set a record for two consecutive days with the high temp below 0. It's never happened before in the history of temp record keeping for the city. Conditions on Mt. Washington have made the national news....two days ago and then again last night actual temps reached the

-40F range with windchills approaching -100F!!! Cannon and Wildcat were closed for a day this week because of the cold weather and wind, who knows if they'll even open today. Over 250 schools in the state are closed or delayed. The high school where I teach cancelled, but it's too darn cold and windy to leave the warmth of my house!! I guess it's another day of carpet carving.

To paraphrase Jon Stewart..."it's so damn cold outside.....there's something jingling in my pants and those aren't my keys":D

What high school do you teach at? My high school (Pinkerton Academy) has been delayed since wendsday, with no school whatsoever today. If you're interested in hooking up for a few runs on fridays, head up to gunstock around 4:00 on fridays. Ski club has been canceled for the last 2 weeks because of the cold, as was our traveling club's trip to sugarbush last sunday.

-Justin

________

Glass Pipe Pictures

Aside from tricky wax selection I have always preferrred ridiculously cold days. The "squeaky" snow is perfect for carving and there are ususally fewer people signing up for lessons which means I am free to hard boot.

My nine year old says as long as I bring enough money for hot chocolate he'll come out too. He also digs the fleece lined neoprene face mask from Seirus "Santa" brought for him last year.

According to the Mayor of International Falls, MN "there is no bad weather just bad clothing and bad preparation."

Before whining about subzero weather think of the alternative...

"Downhill skiing could disappear altogether at some resorts, while at others, a retreating snow line will cut off base villages from their ski runs as soon as 2030, warned the report by the U.N. Environment Programme." http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/02/un.melting.mountains.ap/

As for me, 9AM tomorrow morning I will be hoping I don't have any lessons booked on a glorious winter morning at the Dartmouth Skiway.

The big factor this week has not only been the cold temps, but also heavy winds and obscene windchills. Today we're seeing steady wind speeds in the lowlands of 20-30mph range and gusts even higher. Wind speeds in the mountains are probably approaching a steady 40-50+mph.

Justin,

I teach at Plymouth HS. I have a threedom pass so I frequent Waterville or Loon on the weekends and vacations. I usually make it over to Gunstock once a winter--they have some fun carving runs.

Chris_eco,

In perspective, the long term alternative to cold temps--global warming--which will result in climate change and retreating snow lines is real and depressing. For now though, my concerns are the short term reality of frost bite. A few years ago, I experienced frost bite and don't want to endure it again.

In college I spent a winter break working at Sunday River. Literally every morning for almost a month straight the temps were

-20F. Brrrrrrrr. At least things warmed up to single digits during the days and working & boarding in those conditions were at least tolerable. Layers baby....two hats, two pairs of gloves plus silk liners, and every article of fleece I owned!!

I've experienced these types of temps in Jackson Hole before. However, it just seems that the cold out west is slightly more bearable and doesn't "chill you to the bone" as it does here in New England. Who knows, maybe it's just the beautiful scenery, mind boggling terrain, and all of the great snow that distracts you and takes your mind off of the cold temps. :p

Temps are supposed to warm up this weekend and finally get above 0F. Snow conditions should be spectacular.

this cold is really obscene. pipes froze last night and we've been working on getting them warmed back up since 6am this morning...

*yawn*

here's a question... as a dancer, i find if i don't keep my muscles warm after dancing, especially in weather like this, the muscles ache terribly for DAYS. being that we're made primarily of water doesn't help as your muscles want to contract in the cold anyway.

so how do you all keep those bodies warm when you take a short break between runs? just go inside and stretch or what?

Guest dragonfly jones

It's never too cold!

HA, -11 at Steamboat a few weeks ago.

Lowest at Eldo - with the wind chill - 44. That was a freaking cold day.

Other than that if you spit and it freezes before it hits the ground - your wrecked!

Oh sunny days please!

DFJ

Originally posted by Dave*

We just had some minus 24 to 28 degree celcius excluding windchill in whistler aboot a week and a half ago.(hey its cold for out here)

Wasnt to bad but ya gots ta cover the exposed skin

Those face covering balaclava things are okay but the condensation from breathing freezing the mask to your face kind of unpleasant.......solution.

Wear a full face helmet, duct or hockey tape a toque over the chin bar, all exposed skin covered and nothing directly contacting the skin around the mouth n nose area.

You will get some funny looks but not as much as the guy whose nose turns black falls off and ends up with a michael jackson nasal prosthetic.

My biggest problem in our west coastal cold was getting wax that would slide on the colder than usual snow and the shocks freezing up on the old car.

Dave,

Stop Kermit in your avatar;)

that we had 2 weeks ago wasn't bad till you factor in wind chill. Got cold face fast ( or going fast made face cold ) in this freak west coast weather. As a ex- Wisconson farm boy I remember seeing -60 degrees F once on the thermometer. It's the wet factor and the wind factor that matters more than the base temp.

I live in Wisconsin which typically isn't much colder than the NE. About 9 years ago, I was up in the U.P. of Michigan and with the cold wind coming off lake Superior the wind chill was -60. It was really cold and there were only 20 people out on the hill which made for great carving. Now I typically don't drink and carve, however on that day I was going in after ever 3-5 runs for a hot tottie. As others have mentioned the key is layering, but not too much that you sweat. Also, no exposed skin...lubing up with vaseline in the spots where the mask, goggles and helmet don't cover is a helpful hint I learned in cross-country where we've been known to run in shorts and a tank top in 5* for nationals...brrr!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ghostrider

I was just at a USCSA Race at Searchmont, Ontario this last weekend. We were showing -44 C on a thermometer....which equals about -47 F! The wind chill of my "warmup run" was -133 F...in case you were wondering, the summit forecast of Mt. Everest was 7 degrees warmer on the high and low for the day (those mountaineers are sissys..they have 3 layers of Down coats on and they are cold...try wearing long underwear and a GS suit!!!). Also, the temperature of dry ice is -109 F...for some comparison. The warming hut at the top of the hill was packed...it felt about 80 F in there, but we realized we could still see our breath and predicted it was about 20 F inside...which was a wonderful improvement. I used base burn protector as wax which was rated to -25 F and it didnt stop sticking until about 2:00 in the afternoon. But once it was warm enough for that stuff to glide, it was the best carving I have ever experienced by far....it almost brought a tear to my eye...luckily it didnt cuz it would have frozen. But after you get some snow in the face from a couple laid turns...it was time to go in when the snow stopped melting on your cheeks...then go to the lodge, thaw the skin and head back out...it was a wonderful cycle....until i had to drive 7 hours home.......

I remember a week at Stowe while I was in Collage when the Temp didn't rise above -20F and it was blowing hard 20-30MPH they only had the main mountain open and only 2-3 lifts at that ...still the 100-200 people that were there enjoyed perfect snow between warming in the lodge

We've had some pretty extreme teps here in NB. Seems like everytime I take my 9 year old girl for ski lessons it is -30 f plus wind chill. She hasn't yet complained yet. I have though because on the real cold days I have to look at the bottom of my board to see if someone glued sandpaper to it. What does everyone else use for xtreme cold wax. I have been using the new dominator zoom wax but I guess i have to fork out some bigger $$$ for better wax

Guest woodman

It's been in the high 30-40F degrees here, we thought we had it bad last weekend when it was 19F in the parking lot when we pulled in! I really can't complain about the weather here in Northern Cali too much, we get alot of sunny days on the slopes. I'll make a warm run for all of you on Sunday with the new rig!!! Aisling, quit teasing us with the subtle mind candy....a dancer? Your picture created enough mayhem for one post!:D

Good carving,

Paul