Note to New Members ×

Raichle locked vs. unlocked

Kirk

I've been going back and forth with riding my 224s in "walk" mode and locked in at "3" (front and back) and still trying to decide which I like better. Rode on Monday for about a half day in "walk" mode and I think I'm starting to favor that. With stiffer race tongues and a booster strap, they're still plenty responsive even in the unlocked position. That little extra fore/aft freedom is kinda nice and I'm finding that my legs aren't burning as bad at the end of the day.

I'm sure there have been more than one thread on this subject in the past. Just curious as to what folks out there are doing with their Raichles.

Be safe!

Kirk

Guest Randy S.

I alwasy rode my Raichles in the locked position, except on powder days. With my current UPS boots, I do the same thing. I used to ride Raichles with the front foot slightly more upright (less angle) than the rear foot. I'd get in a neutral stance, flip the lever up on the front foot and then pull back to click it in. Same on the rear, but I'd lean forward. It worked well for me.

I ride with my front boot locked at '3' so that I have maximum control with my steering front leg, and ride with my back boot in the '1->3' half-walk position, so that I still have enough mobility to bend my knees, get low, and rotate my hips around.

I seem to remember in a previous thread on the old, old forum, that somebody around here does the opposite (locked rear, loose front).

Last year was my first on plates and I thought it was just my experience level that drove me to unlock my boots.

When I was on the groomed runs, locked boots gave me a lot more power but required a lot more energy. On the steeps with powder unlocking my boots was like a warm summer rain cooling off some rectum clenching anxiety when trying to pop turns inside of chunky powder shoot gaurded by boulders on each side.

alan

I have been riding in the walk mode for a while now! I have the AF600s and I find even in the walk mode, they are still too stiff. At 140 pounds, I have a hard time flexing the tongue on the rear foot, so at the end of the day, I have a nice little welt on the front of my left shin ( I'm goofy!)! Time for me to invest in a pair of LaMans boots from the good folks at Bomberonline!

...the amount variation out there. Thanks for the input. I realize that it's a personal pref. thing, I was just curious to see what others were doing and their rationale. This is my 4th season on these boots and, until this season, have never tried riding unlocked! Was always concerned about compromising performance. Never rode any of my Burton hard boots in walk mode either. Call me a creature of habit. I'm finally experimenting a bit (even started using thermo liners too!)in this area after all these years of riding plates and am kinda likin' it. Seems to help with quad. fatigue (at least for me). Any other thoughts, keep 'em coming!

Kirk

... and duct taped up as they break and flop open otherwise.

Obviously personal preference, but I don't like to have any play between my leg action and the board, if you see what I mean. I have tried unlocked (by accident, years ago), but I didn't like the flex.

I always ride unlocked. It helps me to get my body lower to the board. I also just like the feel of it. If I want to adjust the boot stiffness for different conditions, I tighten or loosen my top two buckles. The heel and toe are always locked down, though.