Note to New Members ×

The season that never was

Bobby Buggs

Has anyone noticed here in NewEngland we are headed for one of the worst seasons in the past 5 years for Snow and snow making temps. My yard is Green the second week of Jan???

WOW, I am glad I didnt get a pass anywhere this season. One of my local ant hills Blanford, Closed today :eek:

Anyone have some data about Feb potentials

Chill...we had a great early season and it will recover in no time after this January thaw. You have my personal guarantee that it will be the snowiest March on record and those without a big nosed powder boards will be bitching and moaning about the lack of groom! Your not missing anything this weekend anyway so if it has to be ****ty out this is the best weekend for it, right?

So far conditions have been surprisingly ok even with the semi-erratic weather.

Right now it's pouring rain in NH, but we're supposed to see a big swing in the weather tonight. Ski areas are expected to pick up 6+ inches of fresh snow. They need it desperately. Loon only has a 12-18" base. Waterville is looking at a 14-24" base. Other resorts are doing a little better.

I was pissing and moaning this morning after going hiking in 3 inches of saturated corn snow, ice, and mud. I was thinking to myself--this feels more like April rather than mid-January!! But then I remembered last season, Cape Cod had 10x as much snow than northern NE in Dec/Jan. Most ski areas didn't get hit with substantial snow until late Jan.-Feb resulting in spectacular conditions. It's only going to take a couple of storms to get us back online. I haven't given up yet on this season.

Same here as New England. In Montreal, we got an early start, by November 19th I was on the hills. But since Wednesday it has been very hot and today it's raining. This is so depressing. Some of the hills have decided to close down to keep decent snow coverage.

Tomorrow this should all freeze with a -10 C. Hopefully they will fire up the snowmaking and it's suppose to snow 2 inches. Not much but I'll take it. Then starting wednesday it's suppose to be hot again ! Go figure.

I already made up the cost of my season pass, like, 5 times over so cost isn't an issue for me. The weather is not remotely winterish here right now, oh well. It's nice riding my old Honda around comfortably.

This January thaw is a harsh one but winter's goig to come back with a sh!t-storm of cold pretty soon. It always does. The skies will puke snow again!:barf:

It's weird how my general thinking swings into springtime-fixer-upper-mode when it starts to get warm though. I start tinkering when the temps warm up.

i'm not too worried at all. I remeber back in '96 or '97 i was out in shorts on christmas but then we got 5 feet of snow in april. I'm using this time to save up enough money for some spring break in colorodo or tremblant.

conditions at wachusett were not perfect but there were amazing considering the weather we've had. Ive gone 3 days in a row ands been getting progressivly icier and barer but hopfully tonights minor storm and temp drops will help. Keep your hopes up:biggthump

Ohio eh? me too..least its snowed and still is..

3 of us are headed to the Peak and Peek..not much hill but its all open and the lake effect hit and they groomed it in yesterday and today..and should continue tomorow so we are going.. we get first chair and only get the 4 hour pass.. Should be on my BX boards but we will be the only one on hardboots there anyway.. we are parking at the Retreat but mainly ride the far left side and center..

Later..

Right said Shred..

6 days till big mountain,,man can't wait!!!

...20 degrees and snowing like heck at Sugarbush right now boys and girls. Sit tight.

Raced on a hellish slalom course at Stowe this morning in driving rain on ice and slush. The hill was used for a school GS the day before and never groomed either - huge transverse berm in the course at one gate! Cancelled the afternoon GS thankfully. Makes me want to sell the race equipment and use the $$ for a ticket to Vail.

Guest Randy S.

Bobby,

Its dumping snow outside, I'm wearing my Evil Sports Hoodless Hoodie, and there's an empty bed in the cabin with your name on it. Let me know when you are flying into Reno Airport!

Randy

...20 degrees and snowing like heck at Sugarbush right now boys and girls. Sit tight.

It only snowed for about an hour or two (4-5 inches) which then promptly blew right off the frozen slush and mud (40-50 knot winds), and now it is 0 degrees...but no worries, 'sposed ta be warm up to 45 by Wednesday...Ugghhhh!! :barf:

Geez, what a season!

I just finished ASIA certification in snowboarding at West Point this past weekend. Saturday, our classes were held in torrential rains, and Sunday, cold and high winds. They did a remarkable job keeping one trail open.

The Connecticut Ski Council postponed last Wednesday's state GS Ski Race until this Wednesday. Can you guess the forecast? Yep, more heavy rain!

I spend nine years as a meteorologist (3 1/2 on air with an NBC TV station) and I know better than to blame something like this on Global Warming. Climatic changes manifest themselves over long periods of time, not year-to-year. Even so, I can still be grumpy :mad::mad::mad: about it.

BTW, the state Snowboard Race at Mt. Southington on the 25th is in jeopardy - not because of weather but low level of interest. If you are a CT resident, and want to race, let me know ASAP. If we don't have enough participants by the 18th, the race will be cancelled.

It only snowed for about an hour or two (4-5 inches) which then promptly blew right off the frozen slush and mud (40-50 knot winds), and now it is 0 degrees...but no worries, 'sposed ta be warm up to 45 by Wednesday...Ugghhhh!! :barf:

Break out the wetsuit and snorkel. Here's the current report for NH:

Tonight: 1 inch of snow and ice

Wed: up to 2 inches of rain and 20-30mph winds

For the rest of the week, temps in the high 30's and 40's with more rain forecasted for Saturday. Good thing I'm heading out West in a month.

:smashfrea