Note to New Members ×

Mounting by centering off board sidecut vs Inserts

rikytheripster

From a recent discussion in the classifieds it seems some boards ride better when the binding discs are mounted by centerign them on the insert pattern whilst some are better when the discs arte mounted by centering them on the boards sidecut/effective length.

What boards do people recommend doing which way?

I have a prior 185 wcr and am wondering how best to mount it( so to speak)?

I believe the only boards that actually perform better with a more forward located stance are the ones with funky asymmetrical (lengthwise) camber/flex designs, like Madd. Otherwise, if your board's camber and flex is symmetrical with respect to the sidecut, then binding placement is strictly personal preference. That said, I don't know what the deal is on the WCR. Fortunately you don't have to drill to find out!

it worked best with my binding in the inserts closest to the nose but using the set of holes in the bindings that are closest to the nose

I have no idea where that is centered, I just ride it where it feels right, from trial and error.

too much thinkin, riky...BUT...I ride the WCR, and you cant "perfectly" center on the sidecut due to insert placement, but I believe I have mine set as far forward as possible on the front foot, and then basically centered on the back foot to where I can use the "wide" inserts on my TD2s...thats about a 20.75" stance width. felt best this way for me

I've been playing with this myself lately. Previously, I'd just been using the default holes, then adjust width from there... which ends up with, on most boards I've ridden, quite a bit of setback from the center of the effective edge.

The last few times I've put on bindings (on both my Volant Excel 162 and my Donek Axis 177), I've found the true center of the effective edge and centered my bindings exactly around that. I like it a LOT better... previously, I would often feel like my tail is washing out. Now it seems much more solid.

This means on both of those boards that the bindings are using the front, or nearly the front, insert holes. I guess board manufacturers assume you'll want a longer run in front than in the rear. Go figure.

Last year at SES in Aspen the Donek guy was adament about mounting symetrically on the inserts. He claimed the manufacturers knew where the "sweet spot" was and that was the center point defined by the inserts. I'm curious what others think about that.

I've noticed some manufacturers center of inserts are the same as center of sidecut and others not.

Last year at SES in Aspen the Donek guy was adament about mounting symetrically on the inserts. He claimed the manufacturers knew where the "sweet spot" was and that was the center point defined by the inserts. I'm curious what others think about that.

I've noticed some manufacturers center of inserts are the same as center of sidecut and others not.

Some manufacturers seem to know where the sweet spots are and others don't. I "center" on the insrets on Donek and Coiler because it seems to work out great. When I had a Madd 170, centering on the inserts led to a miserable experienc, I put them most of the way forward. I also havethem forward-of-center on (believe it or not) my OSin 4807.

Every board is different, even different length boards from the same manufacturer are different. I like to start centered on the inserts considering that this is the "default" or "recommended" position, then experiment from there. Mostly I end up more or less in the same position relative to the effective edge, but quite a bit different to the inserts (Nidecker!) on some boards.

For carving, I get better results if Im (sorry no apostrophe, that key seems to be dead today?) centered on the effective edge. For soft or heavy snow, putting the bindings back an inch or two helps. I rode yesterday with my bindings back a little for just that reason, and that having my bindings back a little bit makes steep moguly stuff easier... I never thought about it much before but it seems I like to have my weight back a little bit when Im "putting the brakes on" with skidded turns.

Its all relative to the effective edge though, as others have noted you never know where the manufacturer is going to put the inserts.

You can compensate for binding placement somewhat by changing how far forward you throw your weight into the turns. If you lean forward beyond a certain point, you become easily unbalanced ( fore/aft) by any unexpected terain change. Best answer is experiment.

On a related vein, I have been experimenting with my carving skis and now run 35mm ahead of the factory sugested position. Found this intresting article

http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/binding_placement.htm

BobD