Note to New Members ×

another new binding from catek

bobdea

I'm feeling your pain philistine. I just sold two pair and grabbed a pair for the shop. I had no clue about the new ones!

Well at least the three of us can say we had the last three Freerides made.

:o :o :o

Anyone for the last pair of freerides, I'll hook you up.

;)

It'll be interesting to see if they addressed any of my suggestions:

1) Heel cup too high, ankle almost gets jammed underneath it - OW. Make it lower and regonomically shaped

2) Foot slides side to side on base plate - makes it hard to strap in standing up on less-than-ideal spots - add some kind of raised ridge along sides like other soft bindings have, to make it so foot doesn't tend to slide off the side

I have a set w/ Salomon HB+straps, but the more I ride them, the more I like my plain old Salomon S6 bidnings better... the Cateks are on my Donek Wide and the Salomons on my 4807.

1) Heel cup too high, ankle almost gets jammed underneath it - OW. Make it lower and regonomically shaped

2) Foot slides side to side on base plate - makes it hard to strap in standing up on less-than-ideal spots - add some kind of raised ridge along sides like other soft bindings have, to make it so foot doesn't tend to slide off the side

Mike, What kind of boots do you have? My Malamutes fit perfectly (snug at the heel and the width at the toes fit nicely between the straps)... It would be interesting to have a list of boots that don't fit the FR's all that well... Any binding you get will fit well with some boots and not fit with others, I think when getting any binding you just have to do the research or try the boot with the binding... :)

Mike, What kind of boots do you have? My Malamutes fit perfectly (snug at the heel and the width at the toes fit nicely between the straps)... It would be interesting to have a list of boots that don't fit the FR's all that well... Any binding you get will fit well with some boots and not fit with others, I think when getting any binding you just have to do the research or try the boot with the binding... :)

Malamutes, size 26. What size are yours? I get the impression Jeff Caron's a pretty big guy with big feet based on the way he makes his bidnings ;)

Hmmm... Mine are size 24.5's! I have a pair from a couple of years back they're tan and red, not black ones. Could this be the reason for the difference? Is the only difference between the different sizes of bindings the length of the toe ramp? I have the mediums. What size FR's do you have? I'm not sure if there are any difference between the heel cups. I guess that would be a question for the Catek site...

Hmmm... Mine are size 24.5's! I have a pair from a couple of years back they're tan and red, not black ones. Could this be the reason for the difference? Is the only difference between the different sizes of bindings the length of the toe ramp? I have the mediums. What size FR's do you have? I'm not sure if there are any difference between the heel cups. I guess that would be a question for the Catek site...

Mine are 01-02s. Black with red highlights. The lateral movement issue bugs me as much the heel cup, actually...

Seems like the Nidecker 900's or some other plastic/carbon setup would be the answer...

I think the nature of a metal base plate (in terms of manufacturing and weight issues) is going to limit the FR's for boot/plate interface. I doubt your concerns would be addressed in the FR2's. It would require a whole 'nother approach to the base plate fabrication.

I just like'm because I can swap my plates to straps with one bolt and a bit of tweaking of the four set screws without really playing with the mounting plate.

Seems like the Nidecker 900's or some other plastic/carbon setup would be the answer...

I think the nature of a metal base plate (in terms of manufacturing and weight issues) is going to limit the FR's for boot/plate interface. I doubt your concerns would be addressed in the FR2's. It would require a whole 'nother approach to the base plate fabrication.

I just like'm because I can swap my plates to straps with one bolt and a bit of tweaking of the four set screws without really playing with the mounting plate.

I've no plans to spend money on any more softie gear... I can certainly live with the issues. I tend to ride softies only on deep powder days and also on deep "cement" days.

yeah... I'm about two maybe one step away from going to plates with EVERYTHING (powder, freeride, carve). I think I've gotten my boots dialed in enough with my RAB mods. that they can be almost as soft (fore-aft) as my Malamutes or as stiff as I need. But I think I'll probably keep the stuff just in case. :)

Work is REALLY slow here in NYC because of the transit strike...