Note to New Members ×

Where to Live?

Ginsu

Why not sticking to portland, oregon? Funny, during the reading of your post, i said to myself -- portland.

I'd also be really curious why not Portland. Has it gotten too crowded? or is it that the ride to the mountain has just gotten too hairy? I've been considering moving there sometime soon. Am I part of the problem (New Yorkers, LA'ers, SF'ers et.al. escaping) :o ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also be really curious why not Portland. Has it gotten too crowded? or is it that the ride to the mountain has just gotten too hairy? I've been considering moving there sometime soon. Am I part of the problem (New Yorkers, LA'ers, SF'ers et.al. escaping) :o ?

IMHO Portland's a fantatisc place to live. The only drawback for the purposes of this discussion is the fact that it's over an hour to the mountain each way. Living 20 minutes from the mountain door to door here in Bend lets me get a lot more riding in, considering I have a "day job" - but at least I can show up at noon and work late, and still get 2 hours of riding in.

I did that "find your spot" thing and Portland came up #1! An hour to the mountain seems close to me! Hunter is 2 1/2 hours and Stratton is 4 1/2 hours away... Is that 1 hour away with traffic or is it really that bad (i.e., is it anything like I-70 going to Summit from Denver)?

Uhm... What's Bend like?

About two years ago I stumbled on an amazing site:

[/Quote]

I just took this quiz (answered all questions honestly) and guess what my #1 place was?

Albuquerque, NM

2-10 were:

Medford, Oregon

Bend, Oregon

Carson City, Nevada

Fayettville, Arkansas

Reno, Nevada

Eugene, Oregon

Corvallis, Oregon

Alexandria, Louisiana

Santa Fe, NM

Guess I'm where I'm suppost to be!

I just took this quiz (answered all questions honestly) and guess what my #1 place was?

Albuquerque, NM

Guess I'm where I'm suppost to be!

You already live there. Funny! I was there last February (did a week in Taos Ski Valley - notice they don't call it Taos SNOWBOARD Valley) with my ski club. The altitude really got to me. I could get used to that but not the anti-boarding environment.

My wife's #5 choice was Hartford, CT - ten minutes from where we live now. She agreed that Montana and northern Idaho were beautiful although she would like something larger like Coeur D'Alene.

In Sandpoint, ID I was blown away by Schweitzer Mountain's base area. The shops, restaurants, hotels, etc were far more developed than I expected. And the team from Schweitzer won the resort competition at last year's NASTAR Nationals beating out host Park City Mountain Resort. We were there before the season opened but the mountain looked great.

You already live there. Funny! I was there last February (did a week in Taos Ski Valley - notice they don't call it Taos SNOWBOARD Valley) with my ski club. The altitude really got to me. I could get used to that but not the anti-boarding environment.

Yep that's what Angel Fire is for!

It's about the same distance as Taos anyways...

Plus from Albuquerque it's 6 hours to Summit County, Colorado. Not bad at all!

Yep that's what Angel Fire is for!

It's about the same distance as Taos anyways...

Plus from Albuquerque it's 6 hours to Summit County, Colorado. Not bad at all!

Angel Fire looked great but the club was staying at the Inn at Snakedance at TSV. I got some pretty good instruction into glade skiiing. I'm glad I went but future trips will be to mountains that let me drag my knuckles.

I lived in Sandy for 4 years and moved to Bend.

Sandy is a cow-town. You need to drive to Portland or at least Gresham for lots o' things - competent medical care, anything you can't buy at Fred Meyer, restaurants that don't smell like an ashtray. (For the latter you can also go to Welches, 16 miles toward the mountain).

On the other hand, we sold our 3Bed/2Bath 1500sf house in a nice neighborhood for just over 200K in April '05 (and were suprised to get that *much*). If you're going to buy in Sandy, do it in the middle of winter while it's wet and muddy, the market seems to really bounce once it gets sunny and dry.

You can say that again. Yea, I lived in Government Camp for two years. Passed Sandy on frequent basis, and thoguht it'd be nice compromise for those whose job market is in portland and wants to ski/snowboard often. 'sides, I would stay away from Gresham. Too ghetto. Only place I would go there would be Food 4 Less. Not bad prices for those houses.

You can say that again. Yea, I lived in Government Camp for two years. Passed Sandy on frequent basis, and thoguht it'd be nice compromise for those whose job market is in portland and wants to ski/snowboard often. 'sides, I would stay away from Gresham. Too ghetto. Only place I would go there would be Food 4 Less. Not bad prices for those houses.

Yep, Gresham is rather ghetto, unless you live outside the growth boundary, off Orient Road on some acreage. There are a few good places to shop and eat though. Sandy is more liveable, but when it came down to it I really didn;'t want my daughter growing up there.

Sandy is more liveable, but when it came down to it I really didn;'t want my daughter growing up there.

How true. I would want my "imaginary" kids to grow up in Welches. I dont know if its still ranking the top but the last time I checked, Welches Elementary school was the best in the entire state of Oregon. But I dont have that kind of money for golf-catering houses.

I did the survey and came out with some surprising results!:confused:

Top 10

Leadville, CO

Divide, CO

Heber, UT

Leavenworth, WA

Driggs, ID

Helena, MT

Durango, CO

Salida, CO

Dillon, MT

Big Fork, MT

So I guess I have some more research as only 1 yes 1 of those 10 were even a glimmer on my radar and that's Helena. Maybe I don't know myself as well as I should? I'll have to have the wifey do it also and see what she gets!

Guest ArmanTanzarian
There's tech in SLC, but keep in mind that tech there, like most businesses there, is run/dominated by Mormons. I don't have anything against people choosing whatever faith they want. Heck, I'm Jewish and we've been persecuted for generations. That said, I've worked for tech companies run by mormons and worked with those companies a lot over the years. If you aren't Mormon, and don't attend church with them, it makes it very difficult to break in/move up. They'll tell you this isn't true and wave all sorts of rainbow inclusiveness/diversity flags (not as big as the rainbow flags we wave here in SF), but its just not f'ng true. There's more crony-ism and exclusion in Mormon run companies than any other I've seen (and I've lived in CT and NY where we Jews, plus the old-line protestants take old-boy to legendary heights). I suppose if you know this going in, and are accepting of it, you'll deal with it. If you want to be a cog at a company, it probably won't matter. If you want to move up, it might be hard.

Sorry for not being PC about this, and for essentially bringing politics/bias into the discussion, but I've spent a bunch of time there, had family live there, and know lots of folks there. Just trying to call it as I see it.

The riding is awesome in Utah. I even break out the skis so I can ride at Alta(great steeps) and Deer Valley(great slope-side food and service).

This is a burst of the bubble. I too was thinking of moving to SLC and am in the tech sector myself. I lived there a short time between semesters and liked it a lot. Then my brother was livin there and said some of these same things. But he and I are like the polar opposites so I figured he was just cryin. Huh?

Is Reno cool? What parts [neighborhoods] cause I drove through it to get to the airport and such and found Reno 911 [tv show] to be pretty accurate from what I saw. Looked a bit rough. But I guess the drive to O'Hare in Chicago doesn't exactly tour the better parts of this city.

Cheers

-b-

I did the survey and came out with some surprising results!:confused:

Top 10

Leadville, CO

Divide, CO

Heber, UT

Leavenworth, WA

Driggs, ID

Helena, MT

Durango, CO

Salida, CO

Dillon, MT

Big Fork, MT

So I guess I have some more research as only 1 yes 1 of those 10 were even a glimmer on my radar and that's Helena. Maybe I don't know myself as well as I should? I'll haev to have the wifey do it also and see what she gets!

you must have picked SMALL towns, cuz leadville is tiny, and so is Big Fork, but BF is a beautiful place, right on flathead lake. AWESOME golf course at Eagle Bend, and not super far from Big Mountain (Whitefish)

I too took the quiz and came up with interesting results!

1)Ogden, UT

2)Provo-Orem, UT

3)Fort Collins, CO

4)Great Falls, MT

5)Boise, ID

6)Idaho Falls, ID

7)Salt Lake City, UT

8)Colorado Springs, CO

9) Loveland, CO

10)Cheyenne, WY

I thought New England was a pretty good place to be but I guess I'm movin' to the Rocky Mountains!

I think most of us would end up someplace else then we thought using this method? There are so many choices it's not possible to come up with all the possibilites easily without help like this. Guess I've got some research and travelling to do.

Is Reno cool? What parts [neighborhoods] cause I drove through it to get to the airport and such and found Reno 911 [tv show] to be pretty accurate from what I saw. Looked a bit rough. But I guess the drive to O'Hare in Chicago doesn't exactly tour the better parts of this city.

Cheers

-b-

Reno is very cool. I was born and raised here and I love it. I have only watched that show a couple times but don't think it represents Reno at all. Every town is going to have rough areas but that doesn't even describe Reno as a whole. The downtown area gets it's share of criticism because of homeless people and such, but that area is rapidly changing for the better. It used to be the locals didn't want to go down town but now there are attractions there to bring us down. Read what stainless said that is all very true.

I took the quiz and cam eup with:

1. Anchorage, AK

Maybe there is some big mountain riding in my future...but I doubt it, don't think I will ever leave Reno.

Guest Randy S.

Cheers

-b-

I don't live there so I can't really comment. I've certainly seen some nice neighborhoods popping up. I was there last weekend to pick up a pool table/ping pong table for the ski cabin and I go to the airport on occassion. Randy T lives there and he commented already. Find Daneille on the TahoeCarvers site. In fact, TC would be a good place to pose questions about Reno, there are a handful of folks who live there that post.

I have to say that I've considered moving there, but I'm sort of stuck where I am until my kids go to college. Unless I wanted to drive down here to see them each weekend.

Guest Randy S.

For me it came out:

Bend, OR

Portland

Seattle

Provo-Orem (WTF? How many Jews in Provo and Orem - like maybe 3 - heck, there's only one synagogue in the whole state)

Loveland, CO

Missoula, MT

Medford, OR

Corvallis, OR

Kent, Wa

Ft. Collins, CO

Tacoma

Idaho Falls

I am surprised that that no mentioned Hood River Oregon. Its 35min to Mt Hood and has great summer sports also. It is a fun town year round and was in the top 10 ski town list last year. It has world class windsurfing-kiting and tons of mountain biking hiking fishing.It close to pdx for shopping or the airport (60miles) It is the tech center for the columbia gorge, and is HQ for a number water sport manufacturers. I would seriously consider moving from PDX to HR or Bend if a job was open for me.

Jim

Guest ArmanTanzarian

Sweet Quiz!

Portland, Oregon

Ventura, California

Santa Barbara, California

Honolulu, Hawaii

Little Rock, Arkansas

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Palo Alto, California

Santa Cruz, California

Frederick, Maryland

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Charleston, West Virginia

Medford, Oregon

Thanks for the insight Randy T/Randy S!!!!!

While my wife and I would love to move to Tahoe I just don't see much in the way of work there. So the insight on Reno is much appreciated;)

I never considered Portland either but it does seem to have tech jobs so it certainly is an option. I favored the Sun heavily on the quiz and I wouldn't have thought Portland offered it. I always pictured it grey and smelling of paper plants;) Is hood really that close?

We always felt Utah was the only true city IN the mountains.

If anyone ever hears of flash/web design positions in or around Tahoe lemme know! Shameless plug comin.......

http://www.codesixty2.com

Cheers

-b-