Note to New Members ×

? First alpine board.....How to choose?

surfinsmiley

Hi team,

I have just bought myself my first Hardboots and bindings(both Head).

I`m looking at getting an Alpine board but have no idea how to choose one.

I`m a complete begginer at snowsports but I`ve surfed and downhill skateboarded for many years. I bought a soft set-up last year and then saw the error of my ways after about a week on the snow........I saw some guys Hardbooting and instantly new my future lay in that glistening trench in the snow.

I am currently on a Rad Air Reto LSD(beautifull), I bought it because I had originally planned to go with the Catek Freeride`s, but after lots of lurking.....I ended up getting a Hard on, ...no no...... I meant...... Hardboots and Bindings.:)

So now I`m shopping for an alpine board.

I`m 80kgs (180? pound) and 188cm tall (6`2").

My boots are a size 29 mondo, yes they are the smallest size I could get into, they hurt like hell just siting around in them but I`m already working with the boot fitter on that one.

Any suggestions on how to start looking for a board to learn some fluid style?

My main concern is my boot size vs board width. It seems that most boards are in the 18-20cm wide range and I really don`t like my chances of getting my hoofs on a board that narrow. I think I`d feel like a skier.

My idea is something around 172+, 20-21cm wide with a 12-13m sidecut. I just kind find anyone who actually makes a board of those dimensions, so I might be completly wrong in my train of reasoning with that idea.:confused:

All good! Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Donek Axis 172 - 21.5 waist, 10.2 scr

Prior 4wd 174 - 21.4 waist, 10 scr

those are two great starting boards - I rode the axis last year and loved it.

don't know who makes wider waists with a bigger scr, but there's a start. Check the classifieds here - that's a good start. depending on how much you want to spend, Donek or Prior will do custom work as well... (sorry I left out coiler but I assume you want it this year)

Hey Surfinsmiley

Check out the Prior ATV, it is basically a wider 4wd. This board was designed with guys like you in mind. I'd recommend the 171, 23.5 waist, 10m sidecut for your weight and boot size.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_atv.php#

Here is Priors description:

The ATV model is designed primarily for learning hard boot snowboarders. It's also an excellent choice for experienced alpine riders who want a fun board for use everywhere on the mountain. The ATV's 23.5cm waist also make it a realistic option for directional soft boot riders with angled stances searching for a high performance carving tool

Rob

Edit

Check out this used ATV, it has a square alpine tail with and Allmountain nose. Very rare to find a wide (23.5cm) alpine board. I'm guessing it is a proto or the wrong picture?

Serial Number 7596 in the used section.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/used_boards_list.php?BSTY_ID=13

why not try your plates on the reto? just for "S&S"

20cm would leave you moderate angles I think in the high 50s, which isnt unreasonable.

Ive ridden an axis and it was a damn fun board. you wouldnt be bummed on that one. I have a 4WD this year, slightly wider at almost 23cm...so its closer to the ATV...havent ridden it yet, but my other prior is a lover so Im sure Ill be happy

oh hey...dont rule out boardercross boards! the F2 speedcross...22cm waist I believe...

and, if you have the money, talk to sean at Donek. He might have a 20ish waisted board with the sidecut youre looking for.

edit:

http://www.donek.com/specs.htm

check the 175 Abs GS. Slightly wider than you suggested (2cm isnt even an inch) and slightly longer

then theres a 178 with 13m scr and 20cm waist

Wow!

Such a wealth of great responses.

Thanks.

I`ve just been looking at the Prior and Donek sites and have had my eyes opened a little more regards what`s available.

Well spotted D-sub, Downtown Tokyo offers lots of really narrow race boards.

I`ve been looking for something secondhand on the local market but all the boards seem built for little Japanese sized feet.

RJ-PS, I`m pretty sure your one of the reasons I picked up the Reto. (and PSR?).

I`ve done many hours of reading to find a board that I could ride with both so I could better understand the differences in the boots but on the same board.

I will ride it on plates, I`m just getting concerned about effective edge.

Do I need more than the Reto offers?

OFF TOPIC- Has anyone got those spring systems yet, from the french dude, Arnaud?(spelling).

Guest astan100

I just learned hardbooting last year on a 172 donek axis. I'm like 175 and about 6 foot or 6'1.

It's been pretty easy on the board. Nothing too wild. I expected a harder learning curve, so I guess the board really helped me out.

The hardest part for me was getting through the break-in period on my boots. Wear them around the house...a LOT!

-Allen

Thanks guys,

I have been wearing my boots at home lots, much to the detest of my Japanese wife. Shoes in the house are a big no no in Japan.

TB, thanks for the offer but my bank balance is still recovering after buying my boots and bindings. I`ll see if I can ride some other peoples boards on the hill to get an idea of what a "skinny board" feels like and come to some decision from there.

....I`ll see how I go on the LSD this week-end with hardboots for the first time.