Note to New Members ×

Need help choosing equipment

ike

I'm a 16 year old. I love carving. right now im just using a regular board, but im still one of the fastest at the mountain.

anyways, i dont have a low budget, and i wanna know what i should get (most bang of $$)

im like 5'1 and 110 pounds.

any suggestions

p.s. i just went yesterday for the first time this season. it was pretty good. 1st day the slopes were open:1luvu:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike,

If you're looking for a starter alpine setup without breaking the bank, I have a rossi race vas 159cm with snow prow race bindings I'd sell to you for $125.

If you're looking to spend a little bit more, I'd suggest the Donek Pilot. Its new this season and can be bought as a package including bindings from donek. We're all waiting for reviews on them by people who bought them this season.

You're other options are to just cruise the classifieds here look for a good deal. Ebay, catek and some of the other carving sites are good too.

Or you can continue using plates on your freeride deck.

I'm sure a lot of people here will tell you to start with a good pair of boots that fit well.

In any case, no matter what "starter" setup you get, you're gonna want to upgrade quick because your skills will certainly progress as well as your desire to get some pretty awesome gear. Just to warn you, its addicting....

What's your "regular board"? If you're on a freestyle board now, It might be a better idea to get a longer, stiffer freeride board and move to a forward facing stance (like 40/30 degrees). You will get the feel for forward stanced carving, it will be much more forgiving, and you will be able to grow into the board. I would think that at your weight, the short carving boards will be unforgiving and frustrating. I would get something like a 155-160 Donek Incline since it's thin at the waist, and you could ask to get it a bit softer.

Well if you got the green like you say, I would lay it out on a Donek.com Axis or Priorsnowboards.com 4WD. Both great alpine boards what will still give you the allmountainness that I'm guessing you probably would still like. If you want something less versatile but more carving oriented, the F2 Silberpfeil would be a good choice to you, or the more budget friendly Donek Pilot.

If you're not on hardboots, I would recommend the TD2 bindings with yellow e-rings and Deeluxe Lemans or Suzukas for boots. If you don't mind jumping into things, got straight to the Deeluxe Indys, which is what I did. Felt really hard at first, but I got used to them really fast and was glad I had gone with them. Make sure you also get the to-be-released Bomber spring mod for the Deeluxe boots.

Just some ideas for you from a relative newbie myself. This will only be my second year hardbooting. :)

Welcome, Ike....

I second the suggestion of putting plates on your current board for now and getting some boots off eBay....

I'm guessing you'll be putting on about 6 inches to 1 foot of height in the next year or two and probably, at, least, 50 lbs.....

Around age 18, then I'd go for a freecarve board. You'd be experienced with the angles and boots/plates/cants from your transition period and could focus on getting a real screamer board, then....

It's just the mom in me talking.... ;)

---"What's your "regular board"?"

I just have a handy-down airwalk board, but it's okay. but my brother has a real nice burton punch with flows and stuff, so i "borrow" his alot. thats the board i mostly use though

----"I'm guessing you'll be putting on about 6 inches to 1 foot of height in the next year or two and probably, at, least, 50 lbs....."

I wish... I most definitely wont though. the tallest person in my family is like 5'4. so...

---just a little bit more background. Like all board sports come natural to me, so i'm confident that i can do this. I snowboard, mountainboard, kite board, wakesurf, skimboard, skateboard, and surf.... so i'm hoping i can handle it:o

[edit]

the person who posted the first post (since this is an edit, it's not letting me see ur comment so i dont know ur name) but anyhow, do u have any pictures of the board?

The Carvers Almanac is a great place with many answers for you. Have you been there yet?

Under the buying section there is some great info along with a link to Raceboarders.com with this custom Ebay Search.

I believe there are a few Rossi's for sale there now so you can get an idea...I personally have never owned one myself so not much help there.

I believe snowpro bindings are somewhat soft compared to td's or cateks. Good bindings though check the reviews on this site for gear info as well. Best of luck in your search!

I've never ridden the Donek Pilot (I'm WAY too heavy at 195 pounds) but I have ridden many, many other models from them, and have either liked or loved them all. IMHO the only place you can possibly go wrong is to get one that's too stiff or too soft for you, and talking to Sean the owner directly will keep you on the right track. Info at www.donek.com.

Based on his spec sheets, it would appear that he has a number of young up and coming racers on his boards, so I'm sure he can help you pick out a good set of bindings and boots to go with it too ;)

try setting up the angles where there is zero toe or heel hang (boot centered heel to toe obviously)

thatll put you around 30-40 or so depending on foot size and board width

this way you can really lay it over. I dont think underhang is a good idea, or anything over 40 give or take, as soft boots dont offer the same side support

oh...if theyre at flat angles with almost no hang now, then...well...dont go to 40 as youll likely have major underhang, and might have trouble pressuring the edges!

maybe move them until theyre JUST at the edge, with neither under nor overhang, then the boots wont ever drag and you can get the full carve

and dont worry, youll find gear no sweat. especially if youre fortunate enough to not have cash be a big restriction

for best carving, centered or close to it

check the bomber files for binding centering.

of course, for powder you need some offset

and, as for low budget...youre stoked you found this place, as youll be able to find a board for sub $200, bindings for sub $150 or less even, and boots for sub $150. just be patient

a board for sub $200, bindings for sub $150 or less even, and boots for sub $150. just be patient

so much money:eek:

i guess this will have to be a christmas presant from both my grandparents, my parents, and myself..... all for a used board... oh well, it's worth it

so much money:eek:

i guess this will have to be a christmas presant from both my grandparents, my parents, and myself..... all for a used board... oh well, it's worth it

Well take another look at Scorpio's offer. $125 for both the board and bindings is a pretty good deal.

Welcome, Ike....

I second the suggestion of putting plates on your current board for now and getting some boots off eBay....

I second on this opinion. Get cheep plates (you do not need Bomber / Catek at your weight) and mount them onto your current board. You'll be surprised by carving improvement!

If you're a skier too, use your ski boots. Or borrow from a buddy?

There you go - shoe string budget hardboot setup...

And welcome to the Dark Side!

Boris