Note to New Members ×

Recommendation to Americans

Linus

I've just informed by UPS that I missed my delivery eventhough I was there :mad: and also that they will charge me $39 fees(brokerage, customs). I bought a pair of used binding from Danielle a week ago for $60 and UPS charges more than 50% of the actual cost to get the stuff delivered to me. :mad::mad:

I'm really upset about this nonsense. Last month, USPS charged me $80 dollars when I bought $2k laptop including taxes and brokerage fee. So here I highly recommend never use UPS when you send any item to Canada.

NEVER EVER USE UPS TO CANADA!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Guest SpecRaceM5

I'm so sick of shipping companies. The last two things I got took WAY longer then they were supposed to. One was thru the mail and the other was thru ups. But what can ya do huh.

well that kind of makes sense because usps stands for untied states postal service. you guys should of gone UPS

um....did you read the post?

UPS, FedEx and DHL charge HUGE "brokerage" fees. USPS doesnt charge nearly as much

Im surprised it was $30 via USPS to be honest. I just shipped a pair of fairly heavy Drake binders for about $22 I think it was, via Airmail Parcel Post

if you dont insure, and its under about 4 lbs you can ship Airmail LETTER Post and its even cheaper

mark the box USED, and declare it a gift. this customs crap is definitely something to try to get around

That's too bad Linus. I hope you end up liking the bindings though. The USPS wanted $30 to ship from this end, not inexpensive either.

Daneille

Sorry Daneille but $30?? I've sent 10lbs size of midtower computer case for under $25CND. It was sent to CA. I'm sure that quote was incorrect. Anyway, Hopefully that bindings perform good.

Just another data point - USPS wanted about $30 USD to ship the lower half of some Raichle shells to Canada via air, from Oregon. Going ground was much cheaper and much slower.

Please accept that shipping Canada->US will not necessarily cost the same as US->Canada.

Whenevr I've shipped outside the US, I've always negotiated a price for the goods, asked the buyer how they want it shipped, gotten a quote for their preferred method(s), and then sealed the deal... based on this thread, I am never doing it any differently!

The best is USPS into Canada, it goes through Canada Post and has very little brokerage (usually $5). Of course you have to pay the GST and PST on the declared value. No duty if made in NA or Mexico. FedEx is more expensive, and UPS is the MOST expensive.

There have been a few threads on this in the past. Buyer beware, especially if you're in Canada!

Linus, e me directly if I can help you with importing anything.

Guest Randy S.

When shipping USPS international, check out the fixed rate boxes they have. They are awesome and a great deal on heavier stuff. Bindings would be a perfect candidate for one of those boxes.

I used one to ship some motorcycle parts and it worked flawlessly. It didn't hurt that I marked the customs form with "used motorcycle parts" and value of $10.

I also used one to ship a motorcycle crank across the US. A motorcycle crank weighs about 30lbs but just barely fits in one of those boxes. Normal rates would have run about $30 on UPS/Fedex ground. It cost me $7.70 to ship and it got there in 2 days.

um....did you read the post?

UPS, FedEx and DHL charge HUGE "brokerage" fees. USPS doesnt charge nearly as much

Im surprised it was $30 via USPS to be honest. I just shipped a pair of fairly heavy Drake binders for about $22 I think it was, via Airmail Parcel Post

if you dont insure, and its under about 4 lbs you can ship Airmail LETTER Post and its even cheaper

mark the box USED, and declare it a gift. this customs crap is definitely something to try to get around

and do as D-sub reccomends, it works every time

in some cases its a good idea to write on the box "No comercial value" as well

except if you overdo it you might draw suspicion.

you know whats even worse?

I dont know about UPS, but if you ship something via FedEx Ground internationally, and the recipient somehow doesnt pay the brokerage, the shipper is then considered responsible!

I had this happen twice...once with a nice pool cue, and once with some music gear

both times I told FedEx to stuff it and threatened to cancel my account (hundreds monthly) and didnt hear any more about it

mike...I dont know where they came up with $30 for your boots, either, man! Im shipping some Suzukas soon...whole boots...and it was less than that!

I was shipping ipods, then a friend was reselling them also those belkin radio transmitters

the transmitters were a very good way to make money, I would keep a eye on all the big websites like buy.com and a couple others, buy when I found a deal, then ship to a friend in germany who would in turn sell them on ebay for 45 to 55 euros

pretty good deal since I could have a box shipped to him for around $25 USD per unit including shipping then he would send me half of the profits from the sales, so I guess for me a weak US dollar is a good :)

after shipping them to Canada. Never used to have a problem until this year when the whole thing went to hell. One of the boards was opened up at customs and they scratched the base of the board enough to were UPS had to issue a claim check to the buyer to cover repairs to the base. Another was lost completely after crossing the border, never to be seen again. The third was delayed by over a week and the buyer missed out on giving it as a gift for a special occassion/trip. Unfortunately for me it's been costly and has kept some of my best buyers out of the loop due to the fact I won't ship there anymore. UPS & USPS were used (USPS lost the one board) so it wasn't just a "localized" problem. I've had boards go as far away as Denmark this year without a hitch, but Canada seems to be my "achilles heel" Maybe I should try DHL or FedEx?

Thanks,

Paul

has at times been a total pain in the ass, you would think if something is going to germany that they would be able to do it well but not always.

For me with international shipping USPS has done it the best and cheapest, its just that you have fewer options, size limitations and you can't insure stuff that is going to another country with USPS.

Linus:

Get a hold of the UPS Canada head office phone number and call the president. Find out his/her name first so you can ask for that person directly. You will get an admin person for sure but go ahead and tell your story. Don't forget to add the part about being a starving student and your sick grandmother. I'll betcha they waive the fee. Always remember to get names when you talk to these people too. Makes them feel accountable.

I complain ALL the time when I feel slighted by a corporation and I have about a 75% success rate.

Henry

Linus:

Get a hold of the UPS Canada head office phone number and call the president. Find out his/her name first so you can ask for that person directly. You will get an admin person for sure but go ahead and tell your story. Don't forget to add the part about being a starving student and your sick grandmother. I'll betcha they waive the fee. Always remember to get names when you talk to these people too. Makes them feel accountable.

I complain ALL the time when I feel slighted by a corporation and I have about a 75% success rate.

Henry

I'll try to call....thx

I was trying to get UPS canada head office # but couldn't find any so I call UPS customer service to ask for the # and guess what happened? I asked the rep. that I need the head office # to talk to someone there and she says "can't give out that number" and I asked her name and "Can't give that out information"...

WTF?

DOUBLE OWNED!!!! :mad::AR15firin:AR15firin:flamethro:flamethro

Linus - sorry to laugh at your misfortune but that is hilarious.

It reminds me of a time I phoned Rogers about a problem with a cellphone account and was promised a credit. A couple months later, I didn't see the credit so I called again. The person I got that time told me she couldn't help me because I failed to get the original customer service rep's name. So I asked her for her name. She said - "Sorry, I can't give you that information." Wah? I flipped out on her and I'm sorry to say some colourful language was employed.

So now it depends on your pain threshold. Are you willing to go through more pain to try to win this or is it just not worth the effort anymore? For personal satisfaction, you might want to get their fax number and send them the "Looping Fax of Death".

Linus - sorry to laugh at your misfortune but that is hilarious.

It reminds me of a time I phoned Rogers about a problem with a cellphone account and was promised a credit. A couple months later, I didn't see the credit so I called again. The person I got that time told me she couldn't help me because I failed to get the original customer service rep's name. So I asked her for her name. She said - "Sorry, I can't give you that information." Wah? I flipped out on her and I'm sorry to say some colourful language was employed.

So now it depends on your pain threshold. Are you willing to go through more pain to try to win this or is it just not worth the effort anymore? For personal satisfaction, you might want to get their fax number and send them the "Looping Fax of Death".

No...I gave up on that 40 bucks. But I'm going to give back 1000x the damage to UPS. A friend of mine in Waterloo wants to help me to crash their mail server this holiday season(Probably a bad time for them since that's the busiest time for them :p ) :biggthump:biggthump