Note to New Members ×

Mt. Hood Meadows riders - 9 a.m. start!?!

Dan

Hey all you MHM riders, any thoughts on this 9 a.m. start nonsense? I didn't think much about it last season - the total lack of snow was a bigger problem, but now that snowfall isn't a problem I'm finding other things to whine about.

Seriously, how did they manage to get away with a 9 a.m. start without any reaction from their customers? It's not so bad on weekdays, but on weekends it means we lose the best hour on the mountain. By the time they run the chair at 9, the mountain will be full of jibbers and families with kids - the people that can't get to the mountain at 8 because you have to wake up before 6 to do so. Not to mention that I normally only ride until things start to re-freeze around 2 or 3, so this is taking an hour off my day.

Am I the only person that's pissed off about this?

Thanks for the moral support guys. :(

What's a season pass cost over there anyway?

I posted a question about this on the Dave Riley blog on the Meadows site, and it didn't even make it through moderation. Apparently you have to be a 13-year old "stoked on shredding this season, dude!" to get your comments on his blog. Grrr.

most of them will tell you that the groom is better if you wait till it thaws a little or that there is more light but the real reason is that its cheaper

they get to cut a hour out of their labor budget and say a little on electricity but still charge you the same price.

another reason they do this is that in the early hours its mostly season pass holders that are out and the idea is that they already have your money, I have actually heard this siad by a couple higher ups at a certain ASC resort.

the only way to really fight it is get tons of people to write letters about it.

What's a season pass cost over there anyway?

Bachelor passes are f'ing expensive.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/passes/season_pass/

The September price was $699, $650 for your spouse.... better, but certainly not Meadows 4x4 prices and certainly not Colorado prices.

I enjoy riding there considerably more than at MHM and Timberline though, I don't mind paying a little extra. It will also be somewhat offset by the fact that I now live 19 miles from the lift rather than 42 :)

people griped about that at bachelor, too, especially after they closed the rainbow lift in like...was it february?

I've had gripes about hours or early closures of terrain at every resport I've ridden at. The Meadows situation does suck more than usual, because half of Portland is there by 9:30 whether they open at 8 or 9, witness last season...

D-Sub, Bachelor is looking BEAUTIFUL right now. I'm planning to do some hiking this weekend, since for reasons beyond my comprehension, they are not opening early :(

An early purchase season pass at Aspen is $1579. That's a season pass for 4 ski areas. After spending a week there last winter, IMHO those ski areas are incredible. The snow, the terrain, the grooming, the variety, the lack of crowds...now I consider that a bargain.

There are multi-mountain passes in Summit County for much less...$400+- I think. That is an incredible value. For quality ski resorts and value, Colorado Rules.

An early purchase season pass at Sun Valley is $1775. One mountain, man-made snow, crowded runs, not a lot of variety and boring terrain. (that'll get some comments but show me the natural rollers and whoop-ti-doos)

A Mt. Bachelor early season pass is $699. Long season into May, tons of powder, natural terrain, good groom (not great), variety of snow conditions and runs, not crowded. It's not the best value but it's pretty good.

All in all, my first choice would be to spend the winter in Aspen and I just might do it next winter. But I love Oregon and riding at Mt. Bachelor is great. :biggthump

An early purchase season pass at Sun Valley is $1775. One mountain, man-made snow, crowded runs, not a lot of variety and boring terrain. (that'll get some comments but show me the natural rollers and whoop-ti-doos)

And a short season, to boot.

For less than 1/10 the cost of that pass, you can ride Timberline for almost 2x as long. Although you're not likely to ride with J. Kerry or Arnold.

Yes, the 9 am opening time is bogus! Its going to mean a longer line at the lift while we wait for them to open. I guess, I'll get there kind of early and beat the crowd.

I liked the proposed idea of opening 2 or 3 lifts at 8:30 to dispurse the crowd and reduce the bottle neck trying to race to Shooting Star.

Hopefully, they will go back to their old schedule later.

See you up there!

• 1 month later...

Hey Jim,

Yep, that was me. Great to make some turns with you and to meet someone that's so enthusiastic about learning alpine!

On boot sizes, my spare pair are 27.0 UPS boots, I believe (UPS is now called UPZ). That's the length in centimeters, from heel to toe. To get your accurate foot size, trace your foot on a piece of paper while standing up and measure the largest distance from heel to the front of the big toe. I come in at 27.2 cm and my boots fit me like a glove: I can only wear them with liner socks. If you're around the same measurement, you can definitely wear my spares next time you make it up to Meadows. Let me know what your plans are like for the next few weeks.

-Dan

Hey Jim,

You should post your own thread here with a title like "Greetings from an Oregon carver-to-be." Good place to ask for advice and see if anyone else has loaner gear or stuff they can let go for cheap. As I told you, I have a loaner setup that you're welcome to borrow if we can meet up at Meadows, but the boots may be a little small for you.

Just off the top of my head, there's oldsnowboards.com (aka Bryan S), Ginsu, slopetool and P06781 in the Portland area, and MikeT in Bend.

There are a number of other Bachelor carvers that don't visit BOL often. I am still getting to know everyone out here, and ride mostly on weekends where the others ride more during the week. (Gotta work out how to get more weekday time...)

I have a few boards I'd be happy to loan out...

Donek Axis 172

Donek Incline 168

Burton FP 157

plus bindings. I have a set of size 25 MP boots but sounds like they'd be WAY too small for you.

Hey Jim, I <b>did</b> ask on Dave's blog - in the comments section. It was moderated out and never appeared on the site. I'm guessing that they have a policy against dissatisfied customers using the blog to air their concerns, which I think sucks. Probably we'd have better results writing the Forest Service (Meadows is on Forest Service land, right?) with CC to Meadows.

And I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday - I forgot my radio :( and never spotted you on the hill. Did you have a good day? I had a great day - I finally feel like I'm starting to remember how this snowboarding thing works.