Note to New Members ×

First Descent snowboarding documentary

FTA2R

I saw the trailer on the "First Descent" bus that is touring around. It looks like good entertainment, but from what I gathered it lacks (proper) soul and is not true to what it claims to depict. It just felt like they were hyping up snowboarding, and extreme riding, and how good some professional riders are... all while also trying to explore or explain the roots of the sport... which are a fry cry (the roots) from how this movie promotes the sport. Rather than delve into the depths of why people snowboard, what is does for expression and individuality, or just plain fun, the trailer touched on these superficially and expanded how how "sick" the sport has become, and how the level of riding is increasing so greatly (which is true, but that doesn't mean thats what drove the creation of the first Snurfers, Backhills et al.) The trailer made the movie look like it was sold out, and while most likely appealing to the masses and fun to watch, as a documentary, I feel like it cannot begin to approach a video such as "Faster" (or the sequal).

I could be wrong.

I wonder if they know what they're about to do. Why does almost every kid want to ride park and pipe? because that's what the shawn whites and hannah teters do. i just foresee bad things from glamorizing riding AK, and that's what I see this as by including White and Teter(they're awesome riders in their own rights). I've seen too many people get in over their heads, and I think this movie will just add to it. I understand that the "big names" are what's going to sell movie tickets but AK will take you out and unless you are prepared and have accepted the fact that you might not come back you really have no business riding those lines. I just hope they include some sort of consequence of what can happen if you don't know what you're doing. Victoria Jealouse or Julie Zell would have been better female picks, IMO, than Teter. Atleast they are big mountain riders. If you venture north, just please, use your head and be safe.

yah like I said, it's an odd mix of "hardcore" and for the masses, weird... definately won't see them hiking much/splitboarding, and definately won't see much of belaying and digging pits. I'l still see it I think. The avalanche ride-out is just.... odd... but sweet, in a really weird way

I got a question about AK for you AK_Rider (I will be moving there, it is my mission!). I've been reading tons about avalanches/weather, and mountain touring, but I don't get one thing about Chugach riding: Alaska gets a TONS of 4 and up earthquakes, can a decent earthquake not trigger releases in the coastal mountains at ANY unexpected time even when pretty stable?

just watched it. damn there is some amazing footage. the launch into what appears to be a bottomless chasm, and the avalanche runout...oh my gosh!

nick perata? sweet!

but...overall...CHEEZY. why does everyone use the same damn announcer for trailers? its...aww man snowboarding isnt supposed to be...oh well...its inevitable Iguess

just watched it. damn there is some amazing footage. the launch into what appears to be a bottomless chasm, and the avalanche runout...oh my gosh!

nick perata? sweet!

but...overall...CHEEZY. why does everyone use the same damn announcer for trailers? its...aww man snowboarding isnt supposed to be...oh well...its inevitable Iguess

I asked my friends the same exact question. Its probably because the guy's voice just makes you think, "wow, we gotta see that movie because of that guy's voice."

Or probably because it sounds official and he has some outragously huge contract with the movie industry.

Actually I just got a thought. I think all major motion picture trailers are edited by the same company. Just a hunch.

highly doubt people are just gonna start going en masse to AK and not come back. It's a documentary. you could use that logic with "Farenheight 911," and i think it's safe to say there is no mass rush to get to iraq.

call me a young punk or sympathetic to freestylers, but riding is riding, to a degree anyhow. don't flame me here, but we are all having fun by slicing / sliding / moving somehow through snow (or ice =) ) i'm just happy there's a mass release documentary on riding. for a few bucks, it will def. be worth my money to see great footage on a huge screen, and it will get me psyched for the season.

I asked my friends the same exact question. Its probably because the guy's voice just makes you think, "wow, we gotta see that movie because of that guy's voice."

Or probably because it sounds official and he has some outragously huge contract with the movie industry.

Actually I just got a thought. I think all major motion picture trailers are edited by the same company. Just a hunch.

yup, no idea, but its kinda comical really. the way the mainstream movie world just homogenizes everything.

heck...Dieselboy even hired that guy to do an intro for one of his DnB mixes. Some of the cheesiest crap Ive ever heard

Barry...not everyone celebrates commercialization. It's not "hatin" imo.

DSub,

i understand. I myself am not much for "trends," etc. but, it seems to me that perhaps some hardbooters are very quick to bash certain very commercial entities simply b/c those entities are what they are today, meaning they have become so successful / commercial.

i believe this "phenomonon" can be applied to other things, such as music. for ex: all the metallica haters when their stuff started becoming quite commercial (and they started taking a lead role in anti piracy issues). i admit, i wasn't particularly impressed with those last few albums, but one cannot deny their overall contribution to music (vh-1 labeled them as [xyz] generation's "led zeppelin."). basically anything commercially successful will usually encounter some degree of hatin', lol.

my point is that i think some hb'ers have legit reasons to not like freestyle movement, and some don't. i wasn't exactly (and still am not) "pro-freestyle" per se, but I'm looking at it differently now, and I think (hope) it will make me a better rider.

oh..yeah totally. Ive pondered this from day one, having grown up in the 2nd wave of punk. subhumans, dead kennedys, exploited, aggression etc...from that point on, you cant help but feel youre "special" for being into a certain thing, and you want it to stay precious

but thats not my "beef" with this movie, or what I was saying when I posted...

'sides...this movie isnt about "freestyle" is it? Its supposed to be about freeriding and the "soul" of such and in all honesty I kinda think that a lot of hardbooters seem to have zero experience with what its like to truly ride an entire mountain (lift serviced or not) and so yeah...scoff at everything else that isnt "carve carve carve" which is just plain stupid really. People like Tom Burt or the Zellers couple...man...heh.

I was more just turned off by the ultimately standardized presentation that befalls pretty much everything at one point

Guest jschal01

Can't wait. The standardized presentation can be hokey but kind of also means this should have really good production values...Endless SUmmer II was also hokey and still one of my favorite vids.

Also have to say: Shaun White is like a snowboarding Vitas Geraulitis or something with the hair, and he's not afraid to go with. That of itself takes a lot of nerve.

It is true that no video by TGR, say, or others has featured AK -- most of the Jeremy Jones stuff is at Copper or somewhere? -- so the prospect of letting the word out to the masses that AK exists is troubling. If they go and get heli time there I'm sure their guides will put them on the same stuff as in the film, chaos, chaos I say!

Happy Thanksgiving!

what the hell is the teter girl doing in this film, there are better women out there that with a big hollywood budget could have been in this and she has to be one of the most annoying people ever, that voice of her makes me cringe.

Shawn White rips though even if he is a youngen, I have a video that he was in when he was eleven doing cripplers on a buton chopper, the kid is unreal.

I will see this for sure though with Terje and Farmer who could miss it?

At the Donner Ski Ranch "Legends Race" last March , the film crew was there doing filmed interviews with Toms Sims, Chuck Barfoot , etc , etc. You can see some of the film crew in the gallery of photos here. They have contacted me for additional support. So far all they have sent is some of the promo photos here. I actually have some video of the producer making an announcement at the awards ceremony that night. Have yet to convert it and post it. So, when you watch the film. You will know where those inverview occurred!

Promises to be a fun film. Of course I can only hope for MORE history. But , hey anything is a good thing. Bryan

• 2 months later...