Note to New Members ×

First Descent snowboarding documentary

FTA2R

If you click on "riders" you'll see there's only a half-dozen of them, none of them ride hard boots.

and that means??? not even remotely an issue for me...I'll never be that good but I wouldn't miss that movie for anything...this compares to "Men who ride mountains" for surfing, "Faster" for motorcycle racing or "Dogtown and the Z Boys" for skateboarding. Besides Farmer was one of the first to explore big sidecuts back in the early 90s. And Terje? have you ever watched him ride? No I will definatly be watching this.

As a side note Mack Dog productions has always shot in film so the fact that they did this movie means that they have a great deal of experience in the medium and aren't just a Video company

At least with Helis, seems to have been dominated by soft booters. Correct me if I'm wrong (happens too often), but most of the first decent footage I've seen since the late 80's has been by soft booters- Salasnek, Rippey, Tex, Farmer, Goodwill, Kelly, Donnely, etc. Hatchett hasn't been riding since the hip/femur break...

Would be nice if they spotlight Tom Burt though. We'll see, right?

don't expect accuracy in the history of snowboarding... i'm sure the riding footage is nice thu...

Not a swallowtail to be seen, nor an alpine board it seems... its holywooooood all they want is media for the masses!

N.

Nils this movie was done by Mack Dawg Productions I would venture a guess that they will be fairly true to history for as far back as they go. Farmer and Perata are both from the "Snowboarders in Exile" "Critical Condition" days (late 80's early 90's) at that time, other than Damien, no one was in hardboots. And as for Alaska...I wouldn't consider a swallow for those peaks regardless of how good I am (or not as my in case). The only board I would consider for that stuff would be BIG GUNS

And as for Alaska...I wouldn't consider a swallow for those peaks regardless of how good I am (or not as my in case). The only board I would consider for that stuff would be BIG GUNS

that's what i thought - last year in the Chugach i brought my 181 Tanker and 170 Munoz. i ended up on the Arbor the whole time for one reason. it was shorter than the Tanker. it wasn't stiff enough, but i couldn't imagine pulling out my long board up there - it's freakin' steep and gnarly. some of the exposure made me swirly (i have no fear of exposure normally).

bottom line is swing weight -- it will absolutely kill you up there. that's why the sicko boys are riding 168's MAX length (unless you're Tom Burt, but he's inhuman). 161's are pretty common.

next time i'm going w/ my stiff 165 Ambush, stiff binders and the right mindset. it's a whole 'nother word in Alaska!

he's always ridden BIG BOARDS...I saw a bunch of his boards years ago and from what I've seen on his website he hasn't changed his style one bit. I understand swing weight but I never plan on the super steep decents 50 degrees is the most I can handle for any amount of time. It's the speed on open bowls that gets me going and for that I'd rather have length....

just a small proof swallows are for steep stuff :)

as for history, am not sure the 90's is very representative of the development of the sport. Besides freestyle/circus boarding tricks, has it been a real major improvement in the 90's beside the 4x4 inserts? History is 70's-80's were things were boiling... 90's is the birth of the consumption era...

N.

(sorry for the off topic pics... at least there is some AK)

>four first pics shot in AK in 97 ( girl is on the ST : tina moranval)

then its Les Enfetchores at la Grave, steep entry! ( rider is swellpanik's shaper Kafi)

last pic if of french legend soul rider polo gasgoin ( ex oxbow rider early 90's)

at couloir Y in La Grave ( 55-52°).

ak1.jpg

ak2.jpg

ak3.jpg

ak4.jpg

enf.jpg

pogopolo.jpg

Hahaha the trailer had me kind of in a weird awe... and laughing! Should be interesting to watch of course. The 180 tail butter while flying down 30 degree bowl full of bottomless was ridiculous... but Shawn White? Hanah Teter? Don't they spend all of their time way way way away from Alaska... in pipes? Not that they're not amazing riders, just... this movie is looks like kind of an odd mix of hardcore/media for the masses. The avalanche was just plain stupid!

In surfing pros do the "tour thing" before "graduating" to the more extreme part of the sport, BIG wave riding. Craig Kelly was a pipe legend before he moved on to the back country same is true with Terje. I don't remember Farmer or Perata being big on the Competition scene they were always more backcountry/big country riders. Alaska is the NorthShore of snowboarding. every bit as challenging/dangerous in big mountain riding as Hawaii is for big waves. I see no isses with the way it's presented, two young guns taking their shot at the the "big" side of the sport

I would gladly part with 10 bucks to watch big-screen footage of Terje big-mountain riding. That helicopter shot from above and behind of him leaping off the cliff - O M G .

Don't know why they don't use that angle more often in snowboarding movies... so much more dramatic than those straight pointing-at-the-face shots...

Also, the website mentions that this is Shaun White's and Hannah Teter's first big-mountain experience. People on this board are always making funny statements like

"take an expert

terrain-park/alpine/east-coast/west-coast/free-rider/race

snowboarder and put him in the

race-course/west-coast/east-coast/big-mountain/terrain-park

and he will tend to

do-worse/do-better/suck-royally/kick-all-ass

compared to the opposite."

So here's one chance to see expert freestylers on big mountains ;)

he's always ridden BIG BOARDS...I saw a bunch of his boards years ago and from what I've seen on his website he hasn't changed his style one bit. I understand swing weight but I never plan on the super steep decents 50 degrees is the most I can handle for any amount of time. It's the speed on open bowls that gets me going and for that I'd rather have length....

Have you seen the new Farmer 203cm? sweet looking stick!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bunch of free tickets for the Nov. 29 advance screening in Incline Village. If there is anyone in the Reno/Tahoe area that wants tickets check out my post at the tahoecarvers site.

I'm looking forward to this movie after seeing warren miller last Sat. There just isn't enough snowboarding in WM movies. :mad: