Note to New Members ×

Plates on Donek Wide/Incline?

RDY_2_Carve

I've ridden an Incline 168 and a Wide 161 with plates. The Incline 168, albeit an older one rode great with plates, I didn't like the way my Wide felt but that's b/c I don't enjoy riding plates with low angles or with *that* much underhang. My opinion as a Wide/Incline owner is that the boards can handle it as well as any freeride deck, but if you really want the skinny, ask Sean Martin @ Donek.

Guest Zach Davis

Turns out I'll be on an Incline this year... a few of them. Definitely a 168, later in the season, and a 164 in the next month or so... It's scary going to a board that short, but I need to start shaving weight off of my high-altitude set-up. I may go with a 166 in the interim???

I have an Incline from a few years ago. I asked Sean to beef up the insert area a bit and max the torsional stiffness as much as he felt comfortable with as I would be using it excusivly with Bombers and Cateks. He said no problem, and its holding together great.

Zack- The 164 has been my mainstay off-piste board. Great in steeps. I picked up the Mtn. Gun 171, hope it can meet the same standard :biggthump

I run 45/40 on 25cm freeride boards. Actually, that's a function of the toes/heels at the edge more than any specific angles target. I've got a 23cm Coiler coming that will likely require 50/45ish.

I find that lower angles are a must for me off trail. My balance at 60* just isn't good enough to handle non-groomers.

Guest Zach Davis
Zach, would that be a *split* Incline? :cool:

I don't think the drop from 168 > 164 would warrant an intermediate step at 166. Doneks "feel" long due to the sidecut and stiffness anyway.

It'll definitely be a solid board... I've tossed around the idea of a 166, with a 10m radius and a blunted tail. Keep in mind that I'm used to a 172...

Speaking of Donek and backcountry access; With Donek now being my board sponsor, you should have a pretty good idea of some of the things being considered. AND, if there is any thi ng in par ticular that you would want from them, a phone call with a req uest would go a long way :biggthump

I'm not say ing any thing... I'm just say ing.....

Zach

Guest Zach Davis

Yeah,

I've wanted to work with them for a while, now. Sean is able to crank out soooo many different shapes and concepts, and he seems really interested in creating a product line for the backcountry market.

I won't be going to Denali, this coming year.. My wife is due to give birth in late May, so I neeed to be at home in June... the best season. I'll definitely be going back there within the next few years, though.

This coming year, I'm looking at an October trip. I've got a few ideas brewing: South America or Shishapangma. Shishapangma is first on my list, but it means I need a VERY SOLID partner. I've been talking to someone about going after the couloirs on the South Face... we'll see.

Zach

Plates on the incline are no problem. We have seen problems with the wide in the past. A wider board generates more leverage and therefore more force on the inserts themselves. Since that problem we have started reenforcing the inserts as a standard on all the freeride shapes. This increases the retention strength on the insert by more than 40%. We believe that you won't run into any problems, but I've been proven wrong before. I think you'll be fine with it, but let me know if it does generate any problems for you.

Nice code for splitting Zack.

Sean seemed willing last time I emailed him, great to see someone who can follow up on the idea!

I'd love to get a solid shape from Sean as a pack board- something in the mid 150's with a 10m radius. Short Axis with a big radius. Ahhhh...if I had the cash :rolleyes:

I've run plates on a winterstick 158 all mountain board and I am currently running plates on my Oxygen Super X64. I use them as power boards, but will ride all over with them. About 40 or 50 degrees up front and a little less in back. In powder they have been awesome. If I ride in spring slop, I tend to put a little more forward angle on the bindings as the chop/slop tends to push the board around more. The extra leverage of the wider board takes a little getting used to, but they usually drive pretty good on all sorts of terrain.

Never had any problems with the boards breaking delaminating.