Note to New Members ×

Do you ride with tunes

jdgang

Do you ride with tunes  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride with tunes

• yes I ride with tunes
    • nope I like to hear the sounds of nature

I think tunes would take away from the whole "natural" experience. Something about being outside on a snowy mountain, with all the wilderness around, and tunes doesn't mix for me. :) Don't mind if others do, as long as they can hear me coming.

Guest Randy S.

I've tried it. I even have the ear flaps for my Giro helmet that play tunes. I just don't like it that much. While riding I worry that I won't hear someone coming up beside me and on the chair I like to be social. Maybe if I were a top-level racer and needed to shut out all distractions in the start house.

oh, and a funny thing about phones...

I rode one day at mammoth with a CD player...it was a pretty icy day, and I am usually quite sketchy on ice.

thing is, I had my phones on from the instant I clamped in, riding my PJ, and for about 15 runs, I was carving like I never had up to that point.

then my batteries died, and I could hear that it was icy

riding went to poop.

:)

I don't like riding with tunes because a) I love the sound of the board sliding across the snow and b) I don't want to damage my mp3 player when it gets wet or smashed if I fall. Some of it's also for safty reasons. You can't really hear the sound of someone coming up behind you if they don't say anything but if they yell something I definatly want to be able to hear that.

I really enjoy music while riding. I usually ride midweek mornings by myself when nobody is around, so I feel very comfortable in those situations.

I don't listen to music when it's crowded or I'm riding with others. If I'm on the lift with someone I turn my music off so as not to seem rude, plus I never know who I'll meet on the ride up.

To second D-subs comment about drowning out the sounds of ice, I definitely believe it helps with rider confidence in icy conditions. It cancels out that nerve rattling sound. I relate it to low light vs. sunny days. My eyesight is not perfect so when I can see all of the contours on the slope I ride with more confidence. It's just one more thing that I don't have to think about.

That's my opinion.

I often have music. I do not listen to "tunes." (Note: "tunes" automatically leads me to think of "bumpin' tunes" which...well, yeah.)

I've got the perfect setup: Headphones wired to the outside of the helmet, so they're ~2 inches away from my ears. With them at relatively high volume, I can still hear everything around me, and I get my music.

Sure, I sometimes have issues with not hearing people, but no more than when I'm not listening to anything. It's the straightlining triple-my-speed skiers that're scary, and you can't do anything about them anyway.