Note to New Members ×

How much money would you maximum spend?

Ray

How much money would you maximum spend for your dream board?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How much money would you maximum spend for your dream board?

• $0 - $400
    • $400 - $600
    • $600 - $800
    • $800 - $1000
    • $1000 - $1500
    • Even more than $1500

$600-$800 because that's about what it costs to get a board with the dimensions I want. To me it's all about the dimensions... I don't race, and I'm pretty sure my biggest "problem" is all about technique ("problem" in quotes because I'm almost satisfied with my riding ability), so I figure that the benefits of exotic construction would be lost on me.

I want to have just two boards: one for everything, and one for a backup when the first one breaks. :)

Guest Randy S.
I chased down my Sims Burner after almost a year and a half of searching and was prepared to spend BIG BUCKS to get it state-side knowing full well that other boards out there probably suited my riding style better. But, I had fallen in love with the damn things from the first time I laid eyes on one and wouldn't rest until I owned one.

I had one of those (a 197) for a while. It was a fun board, although I was always nervous about breaking the tail. Ladia did that to his. I sold it and bought a Donek 210 (CMC SG version). I love the Donek. Super comfy at speed and carving turns. Way too much fun. Watching Bordy lay out euro-carves down a crowded slope on it was entertaining as hell.

What can it do for you? What is the feeling worth?? Tough question!

If snowboarding in general was almost unheard of and I was fortunate enough to already understand what it felt like to flow pow or rip a compressed pure carve? I would be happy to spend 5 or 10 thousand on a very high quality board that could provide the forbidden rush. On the other hand, if I had little means I would be thrilled to riding a sloppy worn out Goodwill snowboard if that was all that I could come up with. The good news is that with a few exceptions most Americans can afford a pretty high quality snowboard for 200$ used and some cheap night lift tickets. One doesn't have to have a 1600$ custom, but I am sure glad I can!!

:eplus2: I have sacraficed my financial wellness to provide my married bros a much deserved oportunity to live vicariously through my liberal snowboard buying habits. It has become my quest to ride as many snowboards as time and health allows. While I owned a dozen boards over the 400$ price tag, my favorite was a 1999 Identity I paid 250$ for used. Ride everything you can, your magic board may be found most anywere and often when you least expect it. Ride, Ride, Ride till you :barf:

We are so fortunate to know what it is like to ride an alpine snowboard, most never will. To have the chance to own custom boards that fit our need is a bargain. Buy more snowboards , it will make you happy. :)

Joel P , you have one of the most dialed snowboard collections on the planet!! High end, custom , expertly chosen , luxurious yet utilitarian.

Really time to step up the "Alpine Collections" gallery.

Send your photos if you would like them included in a new alpine gallery. It just begs to be done. My Alpine Quiver

I voted 800~1000 but that's in CND$ so pretty much 600~800 for US currency. Since I'm still a student, I can't even afford to buy a lift ticket :o . I'm waiting for my Coiler within a month :D .....hopefully I can manage to get some funds somehow.....

I voted the top of the range - only because I'm lusting for one of the Tinkler boards that Bryan pointed out. But before I do anything like that I'll have to move somewhere where I can get more than 20 days a year...

Realistically, I'll probably stick with my Axis until it dies then get another board from Donek - Probably a FCI 179 w/ olympic construction

Another problem with buying big bux custom board: you should stick with it forever and it's very hard to get a fair price for a used custom board.

kamran,

Isn’t this basically the same situation with everything nice you buy? I mean look at cars, you drive a brand new car of the lot and 25-30% are gone! You buy a nice mountain bike and ride it through the dirt once, bang… so on so on…

What I think is great is because of people who buy expensive stuff and sell it after a year or so, others who would not spend that money for the “new” item have actually a chance/opportunity to get the same product for much less. Sure, it’s used, but depending on the product not necessarily off lesser quality. I think that’s great. I appreciated this many times before myself…

When I buy a new board let’s say for $1300 or so and sell it after maybe ½ a season, that board will still run about $900, but presents a great opportunity for someone who wants to get in but is not willing to spend $1300 for the new board…

Maybe another poll, how much money would you maximum spend for a used board...no, just kidding :p

I think the overall feedback is really great. I did not expect that so many people are willing to spend these higher $$$.

:biggthump

Bob,

Wow,

$1500??

No board goes 500 days for me. And, Yes, I still ride my original Madd, mostly in the "rocks" you mention. We call them cliffs. My Madd was 75% at 50-70 days and noodled after 120. Yes, it looks fine. The carbon still loads nicely and there's camber too. It's just not 1/10 the board it was. BTW it is and has always been a phenomenal pow stik. Like a jet with the wings folded in.

Wow, quite an interesting poll. I guess I'll have to start playing some more this season to see if I can't come up with some ultra cool new stuff so I can fulfill some big dreams. So far we've sold more olympic construction boards than I expected. I never believed so many people would be interested in spending that much money on a board. I have plenty of ideas, so I'll keep playing.

Speaking of board prices... who is going to buy a new Donek this year and <i>not</i> get the Olympic upgrade? I couldn't fathom buying a Donek and not having Sean's best under my feet, so as far as I'm concerned, the price of a new Donek went up $300 this year. Hmm. I guess I would be paying a similar price for a new pair of skis if I was an avid skier.

I just ordered a Donek FCII 163 and I didn't get the Olympic Construction. It's my first board and I can't afford a $850 board so I just got the 'standard' construction.

Well OK, maybe 500 days is too much to expect. I expect to get at least 4 seasons from a board. At 35 to 65 days a season that's 140 to 260 days.

[...]

I’m gonna cross the line here a bit. Some riders I’ve met who claim their blah blah blah $200 board they got from eBay is just fine for them, could benefit from paying more to get board that performs at a higher level. Watching Bordy’s video of old school equipment proves that the rider makes a bigger difference than the equipment, but you have to work cheap stuff much harder than a high quality board.

It all depends on the rider. Not everyone rides as much as you do and not everyone aspires to be the best. What I mean is that some people like me ride 5 to 10 times a year and just want to be good, meaning be able to master carving on varieties of condition. And riding like this does not justify putting 700-800$CDN (the price of a new Prior or new Donek) on one board for me. Sure, the board will last me lots of years (more that 3 or 4 because of the number of days I ride). My Nitro, that I bought 290$CDN new (2 year old board) 4 years ago still feels like it did when it was new, except maybe that it is "broken in". I prefer to buy something of my caliber, use it until I feel I am better thant my equipment, than change it when I feel I need something better. Sure, a Coiler, Prior or Donek would be nice, but I don't feel like I have reached the limits of my Nitro.

I prefer to buy something of my caliber, use it until I feel I am better thant my equipment, than change it when I feel I need something better. Sure, a Coiler, Prior or Donek would be nice, but I don't feel like I have reached the limits of my Nitro.

Interesting - I ride a lot more than 5 - 10 days a season and I pretty much know I'll never be better than any of my equipment. For me, high-end equipment isn't about "whose better - me or my equipment", it's about ease of use, safety, and durability.

Take my Coilers and my Donek Axis for example. These decks are all about ease of use. The Coilers were built specifically for me and I can get away with crap on them that I've never gotten away with on any other board. This inspires confidence and I ride more aggressively which in turn is my ticket toward improving as a rider, and as a result I enjoy snowboarding that much more. I can take the skills I learn on my Coiler and apply them while riding anything else, and see that yes, I've improved. I'm still no better a rider than say Derf's Nitro would allow me to ride, but I am a better rider than if I didn't have my Coilers. My Axis is also very confidence inspiring in that I can take it anywhere I want and feel confident on it.

I've used Cateks and TD2's ever since my second season. I perceive them as beeing beefier, safer and more durable than the Nitros I had previously, which also installs confidence and I ride harder and have more fun. I'm about 195 pounds which seems like it's above the weight limit for what lots of bidnings are designed for. My skill level probvably does not justify spending the extra money on TD2s but I feel less at risk uding them than something else, and I enjoy snowboarding more.

When I'm riding with folks that are a lot better than me, I could feel like a poser on my Coiler and TD2s. But those fellows spend less time waiting at the botto for me when I'm on my Coiler and Td2's than they would otherwise... so they're probably happy I've got the get-up :)

• 4 months later...

Pogo makes a 230cm powdergun, the Maverick. only ten are being produced. if i had the cash it'd be mine, but the price is over $2,000 when converted. i still think it'd be worth it... take a board like that and add deep, untouched powder and i'd be in snowboard heaven.