Note to New Members ×

What can you do in softies that you can not do on plates?

Phil

I guess this statement is why I disagree with a lot of the posts. My opinion is just different. I enjoy doing whatever is on the mountain on whatever tool I am on. I spent a couple of seasons on nothing but my old F2 Speedster SL, TD1's, and UPS boots six days a week. (Preparing for L III). I really never regretted it. I enjoyed everything that I did and never felt limited.

I'm sure you enjoyed riding the pipe in that set-up, but fully enjoyed it? I doubt it. Did you pull any George Pappas behind the back two handed layback alley-oop nosegrabs? And (don't worry Derf) I spent 2 solid seasons (about 35 days each) riding nothing but a PJ7 with ski boots. It just so happens those years were particularly dry and I don't remember any powder days. Like you, I had a blast, and I don't regret it at all. But I can tell you I didn't gain any new skills in the pipe during that time, and a different setup would have been better in the spring.

On the carving side - how many of you have seen Randy Price's short radius carving section in the AASI video? He is on softies and it does not appear that he is giving anything up in them. That is some of the best short radius carve footage that I have ever seen.

you can rarely judge steepness on video. I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding Buttermilk-like terrain on hero snow. Anyone can carve that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding Buttermilk-like terrain on hero snow. Anyone can carve that.

Why is it that there is some implicit suggestion that ease of something invalidates it? This IS a discussion of "what you can do in softies that you can not do on plates" I suppose...

It's all fun to me. The fact that there is this religious adherance to the hardware puzzles me. I ALWAYS thought it was about THE CARVE :1luvu: . (easy or difficult, on street, snow or surf, however it comes). There ARE others on the board who think that how fast one goes is the key to validation, and still others who seek efficiency. All are valid but doesn't it all boil down to riding the edge? (I think I write this rant every year about this time ;) )

PEACE! :ices_ange

I'm sure you enjoyed riding the pipe in that set-up, but fully enjoyed it? I doubt it. Did you pull any George Pappas behind the back two handed layback alley-oop nosegrabs?

No, I cheat and do the 2 handed tail grabs (on soft and hard). I am not able to do two handed behind the back nosegrabs on any setup because my feet are too big to have low angles on any board. If that weren't the case, I would probably find another skill that contradicted my original statement.

And (don't worry Derf) I spent 2 solid seasons (about 35 days each) riding nothing but a PJ7 with ski boots.

35 days is a solid season?

you can rarely judge steepness on video. I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding Buttermilk-like terrain on hero snow. Anyone can carve that.

I don't mean to sound nasty (although I know it is going to) but, when you can ride like Randy Price, give me a call.

35 days is a solid season?

Ouch! For a guy in highschool and then college it was. Don't ask how many days I get now with children.

I don't mean to sound nasty (although I know it is going to) but, when you can ride like Randy Price, give me a call.

what's your phone number? :D

Hmmm... Well, it seems that there are two messages in this thread. That hardboots are good because it's easier/more comfortable/better and that easier is not valid? Anyone wanna bring these two concepts together? :confused: Jack? Or is the purpose of riding with hardboots to make things more difficult/challenging, sorta like skiers that go to Tele when skiing gets boring? Personally I get equipment to make things easier because I'm a lazy bugger... :o

yeah, the whole concept of a freecarving competition is a bit cracked.

Sounds kind of questionable when you start comparing other peoples riding to get your point across.

You’re an Instructor aren’t you? Are you basing what you know off your practical experances…

or other peoples ability’s in the semi real world of the manual and instructing?

I thought I knew a lot when I ran snow board schools then I started playing with the big boys and man was I wrong….. :smashfrea

I don't claim to know a lot, but I know a good rider when I see one.

Phil you seem to have a good grasp on hardbooting.

Don't sell yourself short.

It just seems a bit odd you would pass the buck to another riders skill.

even call out Jacks ability towards someone elses...

Just sharing my vibe with you. Not coming down on you.

:1luvu:

Sounds kind of questionable when you start comparing other peoples riding to get your point across.

You’re an Instructor aren’t you? Are you basing what you know off your practical experances…

or other peoples ability’s in the semi real world of the manual and instructing?

I thought I knew a lot when I ran snow board schools then I started playing with the big boys and man was I wrong….. :smashfrea

Let's keep it friendly here :AR15firin _______ :angryfire.

The discussion starts to become more personal. Back to the limits of the equipment.

Randy is/was at the top of his game and it would be very tough for anyone on any terrain to lay down better short turns than he can. He is master Sensei short turn. Phil's point ( I think ) is the equipment is not the limiting factor.

I took my Level III in hard boots and an Asym Mistral 167 just on principle alone as they were pressuring me to go soft. Even switch in the bumps and yes I stuffed it hard once. But I refuse to be limited by whats on my feet to where I go. I even took my Burner 188 in the trees a couple of years ago because some skier was ripping on groomer fags. A little straighter line than usual but I still had fun.

Jerry

You obviously have no clue that I am keeping it friendly that’s what I do.

Does it say moderator next to your Name?

Why would you point out another poster info as being unfriendly?

Are you starting trouble on purpose? Don’t make me get the big glove and the GS suit…

(see other Post) :biggthump

Seem a bit uncool to pass judgment.

You want to be one of the cool kids don’t you?

Jerry's quote

"Randy is/was at the top of his game and it would be very tough for anyone on any terrain to lay down better short turns than he can."

What about an SL racer think they could lay down better short turn? Or are you only refering to non pros? :confused:

clearly you don't have custom footbeds and Thermoflexes. AAAaaahhhhhhh. Buckle up at 8am, unbuckle at 4pm.

There is not a footbed in the world that makes soft boots comfy for my high instep, however stock rossi ski boots feel great, and superfeet in any of my Raichle boots are comparable. I would love to find the odd pair that would work, just to prove all the kids I deal with wrong, but no luck so far.

You obviously have no clue that I am keeping it friendly that’s what I do.

Does it say moderator next to your Name?

Why would you point out another poster info as being unfriendly?

Are you starting trouble on purpose? Don’t make me get the big glove and the GS suit…

(see other Post) :biggthump

Seem a bit uncool to pass judgment.

You want to be one of the cool kids don’t you?

And here I thought I was being funny. Really just wanted to use the machine gun. You see the machine gun with the word friendly.... I will send a flow chart with the next one.

I did not mean you specifically.

You seemed to rip on the instructing world a bit as you got more out of something from the Big??? Boys. Not knowing your background not sure who they are. I have been able to ride, teach, clinic, exam etc with several Demo teamers besides all the regular clinics and stuff and it seemed to me to be a very real world. So I wasn't sure what you meant by that.

Jerry, ummm

Thats cool. I felt like you were stiring the pot a bit.

How should I not think it refers to me? You quote my post.

I secretly always wanted to use the machine gun also.

Sorry you don’t know who I am, I live in Utah and my name is Billy,

It’s nice to met you Jerry.

I am a pro racer. (although the money sucks).

I write product reviews for and help run Hardbooter.com

I don’t think I came down on any instructors personally and am sorry if you feel that way. I know the whole system needs progression however!

And that the world beyond the "Demo Team and examaners" is Vast :eek:

I my self have taught 1000s and 1000s many of them instructors.

My posts come from my own experiences.

Most people on BOL know who I am and know that I am friendly guy pushing hardbooting for the last 15 years.

I am one of only a few on BOL who shares info from this perspective.

PS here is the machine gun! :AR15firin:flamethro

Check out the WTC at the Hardbooter site come on down and take place in the Alpine revalution here in UTAH

Also tell Josh Solly I said Hello, I was once the alpine poster boy for Sun Valley in the transworld resort guide one Year. I love SV...

How should I not think it refers to me? You quote my post.

Check out the WTC at the Hardbooter site come on down and take place in the Alpine revalution here in UTAH

Also tell Josh Solly I said Hello, I was once the alpine poster boy for Sun Valley in the transworld resort guide one Year. I love SV...

I could see how you took it. I am not a stirrer of kaka, but I do have a nine month old so I have to get down in it.

Racing. Ahhhh soooo. Now I understand. I went down to Park City for a race the year before the Olympics to run the course for the GS. I blew out in the first steep transition and dnfed. Ross ( i didn't inhale) Reba???lati did the same thing in the same spot, but rode the next four gates switch and still finsished in 2nd.

:eek: I was awed to say the least. Nowadays I only do stupid races like the Soldier Mountain Downhill, and the Lane Parrish Super G against mostly skiers cause since Mike C. moved away hardly any other snowboarders are dumb enough to try the speed events. So I am happy to have the perspective. Racing is whole other game.

About the WTC - do you have dates set. The things I saw on the site were about the 05 session. And yes I will try to get my butt down there.

I no longer participate in AASI due to the freestyle requirements being introduced and a couple of other issues.

Solly hardly rides anymore. Skis mostly but he is good bud of mine that I try to get out on his plates whenever possible.

Best,

Jerry

Are dates will be set soon for WTC. We are launching a new layout to be more video friendly next season. The dates may be up when the site launchs.

Those local races sound like fun, I know some times some of my friends show up at the similar Jackson events and clean up.

I hope you are doing the same at your events, nice work!

Bummer about Josh. keep working on him. Is he still making Pottery?

Hope you stay out of the baby poop! :eek:

Ps more machine gun!!!

and cowbell...

:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:ices_ange

Hmmm... Well, it seems that there are two messages in this thread. That hardboots are good because it's easier/more comfortable/better and that easier is not valid? Anyone wanna bring these two concepts together? :confused: Jack?

Hardboots do make it easier to carve a turn. Just like race slicks make it easier to go fast around a track. But saying that someone is the best carver because they look good on Buttermilk-like terrain is kind of like saying Matt Mladin is the best motorcycle racer because he wins AMA Superbike.

That said, I know nothing of Randy's riding, and nothing of the video in question. I just know that it makes more sense to film an instructional video on moderately easy terrain, so I'm guessing Randy's video was.

Oh, John, I misread your post, I thought you were talking about hardboots for some reason. But I still think there is a solution for your feet in softboots.

Originally Posted by Phil

He is on softies and it does not appear that he is giving anything up in them. That is some of the best short radius carve footage that I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by Jack Michaud

I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding Buttermilk-like terrain on hero snow. Anyone can carve that.

Originally Posted by astrokel

Why is it that there is some implicit suggestion that ease of something invalidates it?

Because it does. Sort of like holding a freecarving competition at Stratton.

Hardboots do make it easier to carve a turn. Just like race slicks make it easier to go fast around a track. But saying that someone is the best carver because they look good on Buttermilk-like terrain is kind of like saying Matt Mladin is the best motorcycle racer because he wins AMA Superbike.

But you could say that Mladin is the best rider you've ever seen... :p

Well... not if you've never seen'em eh? (see my point? ;) )

(OT: When that kid came up in '99 or was it 2000? It was unbelievable seeing him work the bike. He made Mick look like an amatuer and he was like 15 or 20 years younger than Doohan. I really wanted Biaggi to be some kind of competition for him because I got bored with Mick winning everything for the last few years but...Oh well... GP has gotten boring again with Rossi winning everything. Maybe with the rules changes next year things might get interesting again.)