Note to New Members ×

What can you do in softies that you can not do on plates?

Phil

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when I posted, I was thinking of the technical freestyle stuff...my knowledge of which ends with rodeos and misty's...Im sure one "could" do these in plates, but...Ive never seen it

seen plenty of photos of awesome straight airs, small grabs, and some pretty heavy technical terrain. a few photos of dudes launching in the pipe, too, but no huge spins, none of that sort of thing

Im certainly not putting down hardboots...I actually prefer them, but...all this "we can do anything" just doesnt make sense. Ive not seen photos, not seen footage, etc...its just all talk

so...if people really can do _anything_ on hardboots that can be done on a freestyle or freeride rig...hell lets see it!

driving in hard boots is just not possible. ;)

Auto matic?

Hike, skin, shoe all day and have comfy feet.

Have increased board feel.

Enjoy the surfy feel Powder provides.

Really work rails well,

Ride a snowmobile with out wanting bindings.

Prove to little kids you are not a skier.

Park…(I try very hard in my hard boots though always have.)

Feel my feet on day 100+

Crush the trees!

Soft boots have lots of positives!

:biggthump,

Hardboots work best on Hard surfaces! There is not only a level of riding where you don't care whats on your feet. But also a level of riding you do care whats on your feet. :D

Its all very personal!

when I posted, I was thinking of the technical freestyle stuff...my knowledge of which ends with rodeos and misty's...Im sure one "could" do these in plates, but...Ive never seen it

seen plenty of photos of awesome straight airs, small grabs, and some pretty heavy technical terrain. a few photos of dudes launching in the pipe, too, but no huge spins, none of that sort of thing

Im certainly not putting down hardboots...I actually prefer them, but...all this "we can do anything" just doesnt make sense. Ive not seen photos, not seen footage, etc...its just all talk

so...if people really can do _anything_ on hardboots that can be done on a freestyle or freeride rig...hell lets see it!

Dave you are still so new to the sport and are being quite critical. :rolleyes: It happens and YOU have not seen it. I have seen it, others have also. Your just stirring the pot because YOU have not seen it. :confused:

Why?

Velveeta - in my young and dumb years, I drove home 2 hours from Camelback Mtn, PA in my ski boots. Stick shift, I might add :eek:

Is this thread about "what can the best of the best n softies but not in plates" or "what can each of us personally do in softies but not in plates".

I am unqualified to answer the first question.

I personally feel I can handle steep narrow chutes better in softies. But I don't have much experience doing that in plates, and I believe It will do better in plates when I get some more practice. Likewise for steep tree runs. I do moderate tree runs better on plates.

Auto matic?

Hike, skin, shoe all day and have comfy feet.

Have increased board feel.

Enjoy the surfy feel Powder provides.

Really work rails well,

Ride a snowmobile with out wanting bindings.

Prove to little kids you are not a skier.

Park…(I try very hard in my hard boots though always have.)

Feel my feet on day 100+

Soft boots have lots of positives!

:biggthump

Alright smart allic. I think that you know what I meant. In another thread I had said that all of the freestyle stuff is possible on hardboots.

My belief is that if you have the skill to to do it on one, you can do it on the other.

D-Sub, I think that you just haven't been around the right people.

Is this thread about "what can the best of the best n softies but not in plates" or "what can each of us personally do in softies but not in plates".

My thinking is that each individual, given time on both, can achieve the same skills on both.

So if you can throw a FS 5 on your softies, I believe that you can also do it on plates. If you can only do straight airs on softies, then I believe that you can do straight airs on plates etc.

Dave you are still so new to the sport and are being quite critical. :rolleyes: It happens and YOU have not seen it. I have seen it, others have also. Your just stirring the pot because YOU have not seen it. :confused:

Why?

err...Billy...Ive been riding plates since 1995, and snowboarding since 1990. Im new?

Im not being critical, and Im not stirring the pot.

youve seen dudes ride who can do all that technical **** in hardboots? really?

I didnt say its impossible. said I hadnt seen it. show me photos, video, whatever...Im perfectly willing to accept the possibility, but Im skeptical until I see it.

how is that stirring the pot?

I confess I'm waaay out of the freestyle loop, but the tricks with really contorted body positions aren't happening with hardboots. "Boned" front leg, Japan air (if they do those anymore), that sort of thing.

Actually, many can do Japans on plates. They do not look quite as tweaked out though.

But...you did get me thinking. Mosquito airs are out of the question unless you broke a boot or binding. I cannot do them on my softies either though. My softies are too stiff for that.

I am sure that if I thought about it, there are other really tweaked out airs that I cannot do.

I guess that I was thinking more of spins and rails, but you have a great point.

Actually, many can do Japans on plates. They do not look quite as tweaked out though.

But...you did get me thinking. Mosquito airs are out of the question unless you broke a boot or binding. I cannot do them on my softies either though. My softies are too stiff for that.

I am sure that if I thought about it, there are other really tweaked out airs that I cannot do.

I guess that I was thinking more of spins and rails, but you have a great point.

but isnt there also the question of vibration/shock absorption? AND the fact that the boards used for "tech" stuff would likely be overpowered by hardboots and plates?

I just...ok...maybe I havent been around the right people. I havent spent the last 15 years on snow, and I dont know a single pro rider. I knew a couple when I was in Steamboat in '95/96, but they were CONSTANTLY rousting me for riding plates!

ha! which reminds me!!! I used to sail through the park on my PJ with Shadows...AND I WOULD SLIDE TREES TOO! The jibbers loved it!!!! I forgot I used to do that.

and was quoted later on saying he switched to softboots! for the very reason we are discussing

BUT...his part in Critical Condition is still some of the sickest freeriding I have ever seen.

there were quite a few guys back then, too...bertrand denervaud (sp) had a piece in TW showing him ripping all sorts of terrain in hardboots...and I remember one other cat...

I don’t think I am being a smart any thing Phil

It’s all conditional. This will be my 31st consecutive season in plastic boots, and my 21st in soft boots I am stating some things I think are different. I sorry that I did not read all of your previous thread postings. I was commenting on this thread only.

At one time I could spin 1080s on my SL board. Soft boots: Best I every got in the park was 900, Pipe was 720. one session at a back country hit I landed 1080 a few times but on my race board I could land 1080s quite a bit. In just enough distance and height needed to spin that much! Because I could wind up and power coil and release off a very stable platform. I don’t think I could have gotten 720 of the back country hit in hard boots, the approach was to bumpy and soft. I could not have gotten the feel I needed.

That is just me. It was and is conditional. If snowboarding goes the way of Ski aerials with that type of impact then there may be a need for hard boots for support but its much nicer to land on a soft boot set up most of the time for now.

Damian had pretty flexy bindings by today's standards and he used to leave the back buckle nearly undone on those old Koflachs. He wouldn't tweak like that in modern hardboot equipment.

Billy, 31 seasons in hardboots is only possible if you're counting skiing. By that standard I've got 34 seasons in hardboots.

err...Billy...Ive been riding plates since 1995, and snowboarding since 1990. Im new?

Im not being critical, and Im not stirring the pot.

youve seen dudes ride who can do all that technical **** in hardboots? really?

I didnt say its impossible. said I hadnt seen it. show me photos, video, whatever...Im perfectly willing to accept the possibility, but Im skeptical until I see it.

how is that stirring the pot?

Dave,

You are unaware of riding at this level and I think you are beginning to see the bigger picture. Being New I mean on the Forum These are Items that get discussed and defended every year. I know you don't mind doing you research, peak at past threads. This topic has been covered. And only causes bigger argument every preseason :argue:

The limits of hardboot riding are only limited by the riders feel and passion ability changes daily. :biggthump

Billy, 31 seasons in hardboots is only possible if you're counting skiing. By that standard I've got 34 seasons in hardboots.

Sweet Neil. I was mainley deffending my aching racer feet! They hate plastic,

And I help run a site called Hardbooter... Its a curse! :smashfrea

Dave,

You are unaware of riding at this level and I think you are beginning to see the bigger picture. Being New I mean on the Forum These are Items that get discussed and defended every year. I know you don't mind doing you research, peak at past threads. This topic has been covered. And only causes bigger argument every preseason :argue:

The limits of hardboot riding are only limited by the riders feel and passion ability changes daily. :biggthump

see...I wasnt getting heated, and wasnt trying to diss anyone...

as for being new...you didnt SAY _that_ you said I was new to this sport, which is flat out wrong :)

I honestly wish I had just stayed in steamboat, or at least stayed in the mountains...but I didnt, so no, I havent seen any hardboot "freestyle" except a few pics of you and a couple others.

honestly...maybe the people that are ripping this stuff in plates need to start a public relations campaign...get some exposure!

I don't know about others, but when I am on a board, I am at work. If there are pics being taken, I am usually taking pics of those who I am coaching/training. I do not have the luxury of being on the other side of the lens much. When I do get to freeride, stopping for pics/movies is last on my list.

fair enough, and no one is obligated to "prove" anything, but, at the same time, if you want people to "believe" that riding in hardboots and plates isnt restrictive, well...youve got to present that angle to as many people as possible. riding your local hills, and touring when possible is a good start, but...photos and vids in public release are the best way to go

That the Idea of Hardbooter. An alpine revalution.

I have been puhing this **** my whole life. And if you have been out riding Hardboots for 15 years and are still new to this type of riding and the full realm of the sport then your exposer was bunk. I am tring you've been to the site....

I have seen your other post I have a good idea where you are coming from.

I still think your level of experance is New. We dont need to discuss your entire carrer. But how much of it was spent with this much info at you finger tips.

Your true commetment to the sport has been very recent in this coumunity.

Sorry to make the mistake of your time riding.

I still stand behind my coment based on your limited exposere.

Its not you fault you have not seen this action.

Its Cool..........