Note to New Members ×

Need Shell Advice

utahcarver

I've been looking to get a new shell (jacket, parka, anorak, etc....) for this coming season. I hadn't been looking at anything pricey (think: cheapskate) until this past weekend. I came across a North Face Hyvent shell that is marked down to $160.00USD (last year's model). Although I don't consider Columbia high-end their Titanium series seems to be a bit better made than other Columbia fare. I found a Titanium combo (wind-stopper soft shell and waterproof/breathable shell) for $190.00USD.

As long as I'm looking to spend around $200USD does anyone have any other recommendations for shells? What about soft shells? Are they an all-weather shell or do they have limits as to wind and cold temps? Marmot? 686?

Thanks,

Mark

title of the thread I was gonna say that BASH was my favorite :rolleyes:

check out sierratradingpost.com they usually have some great deals.

I am partial to Burton and Arcteryx stuff both campanies add those nice little features that seem insignifigant untill you use your old stuff or replace them with lesser products

Sessions makes very good gear also. so does Dub believe it or not

Id have a look at www.sidewayspeople.com and www.the-house.com as well. Sierratrading post is a solid site though, no doubt about that

theres also www.sportstop.com and ... action sports outlet...not sure the url.

edit...never mind sportstop...nothin there by way of jackets far as I can tell.

Guest dragon fly jones

Rode the Northface - their side seams do not like snowboard edges are that even remotely sharp. Same with Columbia, nice SKI jackets.

So when I finally got my hands on Bonfire, I was hooked, whipped and hogtied.

Just hooked up some new soft shell stuff, 20K MM water/wind proof, the only issue that I have had is a zipper handle broke, minor, used a zip tie and poof the jacket was whole again.

Bottom line here, find a jacket that YOU like at a price YOU can afford and make sure that you can layer, put stuff in it and it makes you fabulous.

Be serious and check the jacket with all the junk you carry take it with you, Ipod phone minidriver 5mm and see if it all works and can store that and a power/cliff/luna bar and an internal pass pocket.

Now go on and be your fabulous self

DFJ nails it above....

My PRIMARY requirement is water-resistence. 10mm minimum from a "known" supplier. 20mm is ideal. Although...sometime increased MM results in "plasticy" material which is more prone to cuts.

After I have the outer layer...I'll put on whatever is needed underneath for the temps....

I bought some North Face Hyvent pants last year with good results. They seem to be coming back after a few years in the crapper.....

Check Backcountryoutlet regularly there can some amazing deals on that site... I got a pair of Arcteryx Theta SK pants (great hardwearing pants with reinforcement exactly where it's needed and totally wp) that were normally around $350 for about $125. I couldn't believe it. Anyway sometime deals like that come down the pike and are worth it to scoop up.

Love my Solstice jacket. Top of forearm pocket perfect for diamond hone, stone.

Two outer chest and one inner. Lower pockets are crap for me as I destroy anything in them and this one doesn't have them. Inner pocket has a separate inner pocket perfect for my......emergency snack item or so. Detachable hood. Five seasons of hard carving and havn't had to put Goop on anywhere- although left hip becoming thin.

Best Christmas present ever. I love my wife.

Good luck,

Jerry