Note to New Members ×

Ducati Snowboard?

cliffh

Guest dragon fly jones

Reading this and knowing that Burton serves the lowest common denominator, makes me question Ducati. Those bikes are like engineered gifts from on high.

Brian Johnston is really earning his money for this and I am sure (ha) the boards will live up to the Ducati legend (many doubts). Anyone wanna chime in?

Well, Loris Caparossi snowboards and had some promo pics taken while riding in full Ducati regalia so I guess it makes sense. I just long for the days pre 916 when Ducati was a marque that just built motorcycles and there weren't Ducati brand pens, belts, sunglasses, underwear... :rolleyes: Actually the right shape for a Ducati snowboard would be on the lines of a Steepwater, big sidecut/wheelbase, stable at speed, high torque, controllable acceleration. Turn on a dime stuff is actually more in the Japanese territory. When you're talking about the Italian gear it's the stability through a turn that makes you want a Duc. And yes, unless you can spare the two or three weekends to work on the Desmo train then the maintenance costs are unreal. That's why I've had my V7 Sport Guzzi for near twenty years and the Duc888 lasted me four.

Reading this and knowing that Burton serves the lowest common denominator, makes me question Ducati. Those bikes are like engineered gifts from on high.

Brian Johnston is really earning his money for this and I am sure (ha) the boards will live up to the Ducati legend (many doubts). Anyone wanna chime in?

I wouldn't question Ducati, I'm sure they don't have the same intimate knowledge of the Snowboard market as you. I'm sure they just see Burton as the number one player with the added bonus of the appearance of having a soul.

Burton does cater to the LCD, but not exclusively. They also make some pretty trick stuff, like $600 boards and $350 bindings. Burton and Ducati aren't completely analogous, but I can't really think of a better match for Ducati in the Snowboard market (although I can think of at least 3 small companies dear to us who could build a board with performance deserving to wear the name Ducati). Almost everyone else is either a ski company, a private label, or a 1 to 5 man operation. Ducati is not a 1 to 5 man operation. Burton does not make skis. Ducati does not make cars or pianos. Both probably have marketing budgets that rival their R&D budgets and both have "sold out" in the eyes of their early enthusiasts. But both have succeeded in the difficult task of simultaneously maintaining that air of "soul" and "heritage" while being profitable without outsourcing to China and while winning competitions at the world level against rivals with bottomless pockets. Not an easy thing to do, and I congratulate them both.

"Core" snowboarders love to hate Burton just because they're the biggest and because that's where the posers flock. But aren't you glad the number one snowboard company in the world is actually a snowboard company?

They DID say that the bike that they're going to try to emulate with the board is the Monster so an all-around lightweight board (with, of course, the appropriate grafiks and ubiquitous carbon fiber) would probably do well in the analogy department. It would be kind of fun if they did a 999 version as well (longer sidecut, stiff flex, thin width... basically a carving board). I think it's just because they wanted to outfit Loris with his gear. I just can't wait for the Hummer, Ferrari and KTM gear! ;)

Jack... how was the track day?

Well for the right amount burton will custom make a top sheet for any one.

We have interwest and playboy and gibson burtons at our shop its just looney...

Plus will the boards have that vibration all the ducks I have ridden have???

Well for the right amount burton will custom make a top sheet for any one.

We have interwest and playboy and gibson burtons at our shop its just looney...

Plus will the boards have that vibration all the ducks I have ridden have???

yes but vibration in a Duc is good...unlike Burton

Maybe next we could get Orange County Choppers to build a Ducati "theme chopper" to honor this legendary marque. Maybe weld a desmo valve train to the side of the frame for visual effect. How cool would that be!

Stuff it burton ! lol

Well,, the way I see it (Ducs), they are what they are.. there expensive yet the funnest thing I have ever riden.. sound the best .. handle the best and have the v twin power torque. Its not a go straight fast wheelie bike.. well some are.. but for mashing aroung town and mountain roads.. there is nothing that comes close.. my R6 did fine but my monster smokes it around town and on the twisty road. Plus I can ride it for hours. Hey if they were cheap everyone would have them.. especially the kids and the one wheel crowd. And at the end of the day ...your still on a Jap bike.. I love to tinker..so the ducs and all the aftermarket stuff.. or Ducati Performance stuff.. its artwork!!

Oakley makes Ducati Sunglasses too! There are all types of this stuff going on.. oh well..

ps... the new Monsters are smooth as silk! But my other 900ss vibrates with the best of them and an open clutch cover.. yep sounds like I left a wench inside..yes wench! I bought it for just the love of how mechanical that bike is... ARTWORK!

Love em or Hate em.. they are what they are... a thing of beuty!

Right Said Shred

post-186-141842205509_thumb.jpg

Guest Randy S.

Shred, that's one very clean garage. Would you mind coming over and cleaning mine? I've got m-cycle parts everywhere right now. 2.5 bikes, all sorts of parts, oil on the floor, a few snowboards, tuning table, etc. I have a 2 car garage and at the moment can't fit one car in there.

And there's NOTHING like'em on the track (see avatar)... But Ducati snowboards? puuleeeze... :rolleyes:

Oh well we live in the world of brand and marketing as religion... love it or leave it right? :smashfrea

Yea I think they went to Burton for the Marketing...if they wanted a product type match I would think that they are more like Prior or Donek

Shred...nice S2R

No I won't clean your garage , unless you can give me a roto tiller,, a snow blower and what ever other landscaping tools you have! just finished a new construction house..Complete with ready to use Dirt!

Thats why the garage is clean... thats all I got..! so I guess I can fit a matte black 749, or an MV Agusta in it..

Oh forgot to tell ya I'll be a week in Tahoe from February Morning of Sunday the 12th to leaving the Saturday morning of the 18th... I believe Im staying in a condo at Heavenly with my buddy's sister!! :rolleyes:

I will need to figure out though how the heck to get to his place back and to the Reno airport.. he's going to be there for two weeks..

Plus I got Big Mountain from Jan 20 to the 28..and the ECES.

Hope I can meet up with the Tahoe crew.. Steve, you, Hiroshi etc... So Im coming..take it easy on the Old man!

Right said Shred :biggthump