Note to New Members ×

Equipment feedback - Virus GS and plate.

SashaSidorov

Question to my dear fellows about my new equipment setup weight- need an opinion . My set up Virus 185 cm long  GS ZYLON Board , Sinline world cup racing plate , CNC Racing F2 bindings  . The gran total weight  is just under 8 kg / 17 lb . My height is 6’5” weight 85 kg . What advantage and disadvantage on this setup … its a big piece of machinery 

IMG_3356.jpeg

It's a nice set up. Are you racing now? If you don't know if that's what you need from previous experience, then it might be a lot to handle at first. You have plenty of rider to move it around once you get going. If you are new to bigger GS stuff, start with some freeriding without the plate, then experiment adding it in to see how it works for you.

Edited by Mr.E

Not at all, it's just counter productive - it dissolves the answers into 2 threads and makes it harder to understand your purpose. Pretty much everyone on these forums reads everything posted, so one thread is more effective and keeps the place neat. 

Of course, your setup can be used for freecarving too, but there's hardly any advantage to it. 

It will be a killer in the race course. 

Edited by BlueB

On 10/9/2024 at 8:09 PM, SashaSidorov said:

Virus 185 cm long  GS ZYLON

Beautiful setup!     That is a Need For Speed build 185!    That's a total Race setup imo.   And if not racing That's A Lot of Board to run while dodging the weekend slope monkeys.  That beast would need a wide open empty slope to let that run,  and to avoid the tourons , even out here in Tahoe!

• Thanks 1

Race and open wide runs only . The  very early morning slopes runs its only time you can use and test those kind of equipment. In Park  City there is one race track open for none team members but there is some formality you need to go through . But my biggest issue I have as I mentioned is the WEIGHT ( 17 lb )  I have in this set up . That what I was hoping to get some opinions or experiences from the groups . To carry this weight is it normal ?  Thanks again 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaSidorov said:

biggest issue I have as I mentioned is the WEIGHT ( 17 lb )

Hey Sasha,    yea that weight is pretty normal imo for that brand/model/length board and it's intended use.   And when you add the weight of the hardboots you really feel it  transporting all that from the parking lot to the slope.  Your lucky you don't have stepin bindings with Intec heels, that's another added 4lbs between the specific stepin binding parts and the intec heel parts on the boot!

Besides dragging all that weight from the car to the slope (I carry my boots over my shoulder and put them on on the ride up our Tram, it's just easier and safer and less wear on the boots imo)  I really only feel the weight  when it's hanging off only one  leg while I'm on the lift...but you get used to it.

Enjoy that Rocket!

Think Deep Snow! 

1 minute ago, SashaSidorov said:

Do you think the actual full weight of it will somehow can  affect or influence the ride ? 

Weight isn’t as big a deal on longer turning boards. If your lifts don’t have footrests that will be the biggest problem.  The board will certainly still perform fabulously without the plate if you don’t like the weight. 

• Like 1

For racing it will be faster and will handle ruts better with the plate.  So if podium is your goal you should get accustomed to riding with it.

For freecarving or racing just for the fun of it you can remove the plate.

In any case try it both ways and see how it goes.  I think it will be great at Park City.

• Like 1

• Jack M changed the title to Equipment feedback - Virus GS and plate.

We don't know your skill level. If you're starting with Alpine, this is a terrible first setup. Not terrible as in the board sucks, but a terrible thing to try to link your first turns on as it needs a confident pilot. Beginning drivers don't start in Ferraris. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah it's heavy. I used to ride an Oxess 185 GS + Apex Plate + Bomber TD3 SW bindings, Ouch.

managed just fine. if feels like nothing when you're moving and you can ride light moguls with it and do short wiggle turns without much issue.

If you have any fear of getting hit from behind, you may not have as much fun on it at a public resort.

• Rock on! 1