Note to New Members ×

Appropriate waist width for big foot.

Tick

I have a buddy that has been snowboarding with me for a few years, and he has now decided that he wants to be a carver! :lol:

Up until now, he has "inherited" snowboards from firends who have bought new setups. He has made a bid on an Arbor snowboard (2005 AFrame 162). I am concerned that he may have purchased a board that's too narrow for him, as his shoe size is 10. The waist width is 24.9 cm. Not being an engineer or even good at math, I can't tell if that will work for him or not. His former stance has been 90 degrees (perp. to the board). Is his stance angle going to have to be too dramatic for him to use that board?

P.S. I just noticed below my user name that I am a "Skidder". How many posts do I need to get rid of that...FAST?

Guest Randy S.

I'm size 10 and ride on boards with 18cm waists. I ride with angles in the 55-60 range.

I don't know how many posts you need to graduate from skidder. I am anxious to see what happens when I get to 1000 posts, I've been told something interesting happens. Hmm.

I have a size nine shoe.....Mondo Pt 27 boot which is the measurement that really counts since mondopt and shoe size dont measure up perfectly. but beyond that I have a 18cm and 20cm waist width boards and have no problems with overhang and I ride petty shallow angles 51/54 on the 20 and i figure out the 18 this year

10! 10? No worries!!

I have size 15 and have gone as narrow as 18cm. New angles might take some getting used to, but if he wants to carve, it will work.

Tommy D - there are things you can do to help with that knee thing. Different angles and/or cants/lifts. Also, if you get someone to look at your riding there might be something you can do there.

I have size 10.5 feet and ride a Prior 4WD with a 21.4cm width. I ride it at 50 / 45 (F/B) with no dramas. I am still in my first year of carving and admit that it did take a while to get used to the change up from 18 / 6 but after a few runs it is fine.

Tell him to just bite the bullet and crank up the angles and carve! :biggthump

Tommy D - there are things you can do to help with that knee thing. Different angles and/or cants/lifts. Also, if you get someone to look at your riding there might be something you can do there.

Hey, thanks! I think you are right about cants: I was using 3 degree f/r, but I tihnk adding a 6 would have helped ... I got the opportunity to try some narrow boards for a day, and didn't have my extra gear. As far as angles go, I was as shallow as I could get without boot-out, and definitely didn't want to go steeper. I'll keep cants in mind the next narrow-board-opportunity I get.

Of course, getting a good 'instructor' to look at my style would help tremendously too. Last year, a carver gave me some awesome feedback regarding my hand/elbow placement, and I ended up carving better with less effort.