Note to New Members ×

Getting down and riding the pencil line turn to turn?

On 3/6/2024 at 2:08 PM, 1xsculler said:

I found a hill that turned out to be very conducive to my carving ability, i.e. the Holiday Lift at Snoqualmie Central. It was perfectly groomed and just the right slope so I could connect pencil lines and even turn back up the hill a little when needed to slow down. It bored me and it would be a hill few of you would even consider (their bunny run) BUT I loved being able to connect pencil lines!

@1xsculler Good on you. Recommended progression at Snoqualmie after Holiday:

1. Outback or under chair at Silver Fir. First 100' vert pitch will be too steep, but rest is longer and narrower than Holiday while still mellow. That will force you to tighten your turns without worrying about pitch.

2. Dodge Ridge at Summit West. Wider and a little steeper. 

3. Pacific Crest at Summit West. A little steeper still and a pitchier section at the end that you can avoid. 

@Soultrencher rides there often 

On 3/6/2024 at 4:50 AM, st_lupo said:

A big part of this (for me) was realizing that I was consistently letting too much speed build up even before the first turn.  You very likely accelerate through the apex of the first turn, so you need to learn how to keep your pre-turn speed low enough so that the exit speed is acceptable and controllable.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:37 AM, skhil said:

The second one is to finish every turn with a little uphill climb. It's not hard to do if the slope is wide enough. Although it's not as intuitive as the first one but it's a really effective way to shave off the speed.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know s*** about nothing, but this ^ is brilliant. And something like this https://www.loadedboards.com/products/loaded-carver-bolsa-longboard-skateboard?variant=43844133683444 is really useful for understanding/feeling the mechanics without the hassle of having to be on the snow.

Maybe no hassle having to be on the snow BUT asphalt and concrete are unforgiving!

3 hours ago, jng said:

@1xsculler Good on you. Recommended progression at Snoqualmie after Holiday:

1. Outback or under chair at Silver Fir. First 100' vert pitch will be too steep, but rest is longer and narrower than Holiday while still mellow. That will force you to tighten your turns without worrying about pitch.

2. Dodge Ridge at Summit West. Wider and a little steeper. 

3. Pacific Crest at Summit West. A little steeper still and a pitchier section at the end that you can avoid. 

@Soultrencher rides there often 

Thank you for those run recommendations…very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

So many words. I did not read. Steeper terrain means you have to finish your turn. If you don't hard enough that you start slowing down (uphill finish) you will gain speed. It's really that simple.

If you are not skidding or slarving, you must change turn shape to slow. 

"You carve, You carve, You carve...no slide"

• Like 1