Note to New Members ×

OT: Sink or Float?

~tb

If you take a 1997 17" CRT computer monitor, in perfectly working order and throw it in the water (fresh water), will it sink or float?

The moniter will be set in the water, let fill through the vents, pushed under to a depth of 1' and then let sit for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes, the evaluation of float or sink will be observed. What say you engineering geeks?

(I have already done the experiment, and have the video to show the end results)

~tb

PS: Before you ask why the hell would you do this. . .well. . . we were cleaning out, and there happened to be a monitor that NO ONE WANTED. It was going to the dump . . .and someone said, "eh, just throw it in the water." Then we started arguing if it would be and effective disposal method or not as half of us said it would float, half of us argued it would sink. . . only one way to find out.

I'll try with my 17" CRT that I bought in 2000. According to it's specs , it weights 20kg. It's theoritical volume is around 64L (~40cm x 40cm x 40cm). But it is mostly empty inside, so the real volume would be around 50% (taken up by the tube and the electronics - rought estimate), so that gives a volume of 32L. 20kg/32L = 0,625kg/L. Water is 1kg/L.

Answer: it floats (I guess, because I can't calculate the real volume). For it to sink, the tube and internals would have to occupy less than 31% of the volume.

Edit: 400th post!

all I have to say is that it is damn close. . .

There is a big sealed tube in there, but the weight of the monitor all together including a big transformer is close to the weight of the water that the monitor displaces.

It makes it a great engineering judgement call. I asked 40 engineers this question and asked for an answer on the spot. No time to go look at spec sheets, or even lift up the monitor. I got 19 floats, 20 sinks and one no thank you.

Guest Randy S.

I'm guessing it will float. However, the big tube (CRT) actually has a vacuum inside. Does that matter (that its not filled with as much air)? I doubt it. I know its a vacuum because I broke one on an old Mac Plus once. I was fixing something inside and dinged the little gizmo that attaches to the back of the tube. It cracked and sucked in a bunch of air. Kinda cool, although the boss wasn't pleased.

Then again, those things are damn heavy. Oh man, I'm so :confused:

When are you going to tell us the answer?

Floatation is not as much about 'sealed' or not sealed but more about displacement. If the surface area of a device is greater than the mass of the device, then it will float.

Huh? how do you compare surface area to mass?

If you are in a boat and are holding a rock, say about 10 lbs and about 1 foot in diameter, and you toss the rock into the water. Will the water level rise? Or fall?

well that's a trick question - you left out the correct option - it won't change.

However, the big tube (CRT) actually has a vacuum inside.

Oh, that changes everything. It will sink like a rock!

I vote for float. Although the unit as a whole is very heavy, so is water. I think that the vacuum tube inside should probally displace enough water for the monitor to float.

-Justin

Ah but now an old one. A ship is in port, with a rope latter hanging over the side, and the rungs are spaced 1 foot apart, and the tide rises at 1.5 feet per hour. When you go by the ship the first time, there are 4 rungs underwater, if you come back in 4 hours, how many rungs will be under water?

________

Magic flight

If you take a 1997 17" CRT computer monitor, in perfectly working order and throw it in the water (fresh water), will it sink or float?

The moniter will be set in the water, let fill through the vents, pushed under to a depth of 1' and then let sit for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes, the evaluation of float or sink will be observed. What say you engineering geeks?

(.

My gut feel says some CRTs will float and some will sink due to its weight. It depends on what is inside. The 17" of which you speak, if it is like my lightweight 17" at home, will most likely float since there are no heavy components inside. My P220 22" Viewsonic which would sink like a rock even if you put helium in the CRT. Most plastic has a SG of 1.2 or higher so if it was all plastic it will sink.

Guest Randy S.
Ah but now an old one. A ship is in port, with a rope latter hanging over the side, and the rungs are spaced 1 foot apart, and the tide rises at 1.5 feet per hour. When you go by the ship the first time, there are 4 rungs underwater, if you come back in 4 hours, how many rungs will be under water?

What weighs more? A pound of lead or a pound of feathers? Doh! :smashfrea

If you are in a boat and are holding a rock, say about 10 lbs and about 1 foot in diameter, and you toss the rock into the water. Will the water level rise? Or fall?

assuming that the rock is more dense than water, and therefore sinks, then the water level will go down (don't have the time or want to figure out the density of said rock and how it compares to water). When the rock is in the boat, it displaces its weight in water, which is of lesser density than rock. When the rock is in the water, it displaces its volume in water, not its mass. Therefore the water level goes down.

if those numbers work out that the rock actually floats. . . then the water level stays the same.

Good enough.

and oh yea. . . computer monitor answer and video to follow tomorrow morning.

~tb

Floatation is not as much about 'sealed' or not sealed but more about displacement. If the surface area of a device is greater than the mass of the device, then it will float.

Which is to say that I have no idea if the CRT will float unless I know what surface area is as it relates to the mass. I might guess that it'd float though.

Heh, another geek (me) joins the fray! ;)

I don't see what surface area hasto do with anything... if the density of the object is less than the density of water, the object floats. Or, in other words, if the equivalent volume of the object filled with water weighs more than the object, the object floats.

I'm guessing it will float. However, the big tube (CRT) actually has a vacuum inside. Does that matter (that its not filled with as much air)?

No - the density of water is 1g/cm^3. Density of air at standard conditions is rougly 1.25mg/cm^3 (or .00125g/cm^3. Density of an ideal vacuum is, of course, 0). So you're looking at a difference in buoyancy in water between air and vacuum of only about .1%

isnt this a snowboarding site?

yeah, but I already know that my snowboard floats!

. . . that, and I figure this is the kind of brain teaser Jack, Bob and myself would throw out on a chairlift ride up. Then proceed to get into a fight about the answer, drop a few "no you idiot(s)" and then get off the lift and back to riding.

~tb, good to have you back on the BOL chairlift.Now you need to get your post count up to Alpine Ace status.The skiboat looks pretty sweet. How about some action shots ?What are you riding for a ski ?Keep an eye on the wind and we'll get you and the wife on some trainer kites soon. Summer is fading fast.

Yeah, I was thinking about this last night and realized I was wrong about the vacuum. The vacuum inside the tube actually makes the thing even less dense than if it was filled with air or some gas, and so it would be even more likely to float.

cool experiment!