Note to New Members ×

Angles = Age?

cbrkid1981

Hey,

So I'm 42 and have been riding alpine for about 7 years, and softs for 23 or so.  I'm finding that this year specifically I'm having to back my angles down on both kinds of boards.  I'm not sure if I have gotten into a bad habit, or it's just an age and body thing but it has just struck me as odd.  The only other thing that I have changed is the location of where I'm riding and finding that Crotched in NH is less user friendly than that of Berkshire East, or some of my other favs around the way.  I'm not sure I just thought I would ask if anyone else has had this situation before.  

Thanks a million and safe riding friends. 

At 68 I still ride pretty steep angles at 57/54 or thereabouts. I rode 60/60 20 years ago. I do favor shorter-radius sidecuts than I used to - my Proteus 180 is at 13m and I wouldn't care to go longer unless I were guaranteed the slope to myself!

• Like 1

At 56 years young some of my old customs are becoming unrideable...

The modern boards are wider and much better construction/shape/design for flex.  As much as I like 65/60 on my old a Hot Blast 170.  The more relaxed angles are easier for all day riding.

Softboot carving at 27/15 lets me ride all day.

Snow soon...

If your angles equal your age it's a coincidence, just like shooting your age at golf. There is no mechanism tightly linking age and angles.

Angles are clearly linked to boot size, board width, and riding technique preference. People carve at every angle between "duck" and "Skwal" setups.

• Like 1

One day before 50 I still setup my angles as I did 30 years ago. I setup the lowest angle with no overhang on the rear boot, and then 0-5 degrees higher on the front boot. The amount of splay I prefer seems to randomly vary over time. 

Edited by TimW
  • Like 1

62, hardboots since '89. I don't need to change anything, I settled on the most comfortable bio-mechanical neutral ready position by '92 and over the decades gave up using boards that will not be happy at 30/45* angles, I'm the one that needs to be happy and comfortable.

• Like 2