Note to New Members ×

Carving at Copper Mtn

Lil Cybe

Sweet, Stylish and Steep! Looking at those packed chairs, lucky you got an empty canvas! 

First carver/hardbooter I ever met was in the back bowls at Copper. He had a red Donek, I believe. Anyway, he looked at my softboot setup, with both feet angled very much to the positive (no duckie), and suggested I seek out some Alpine gear. And the rest is history.

3 hours ago, inkaholic said:

If you're still around Copper, hit up @Odd Job @yamifumi @b.free

Maybe one of them can meet up with you.

ink

Sadly I left weeks ago right before the good snow:( but I will be there again in march hit me up then!

4 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

Sweet, Stylish and Steep! Looking at those packed chairs, lucky you got an empty canvas! 

First carver/hardbooter I ever met was in the back bowls at Copper. He had a red Donek, I believe. Anyway, he looked at my softboot setup, with both feet angled very much to the positive (no duckie), and suggested I seek out some Alpine gear. And the rest is history.

IIRC I waited 10 minutes for this clean run and hopped on the train when the lift stopped for like 5 minutes. Riding back bowl with Alpine is super dope and for sure I have seen many old fashioned alpine riders at copper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skhil said:

I believe, I met you on Copper in December one year ago. If it's true you improved your style quite a bit already!

Thanks! Copper is basically my grinding field and last year was my first season transitioning from regular board to Skwal and took a full month to get comfortable with it!

2 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Smooth riding, great stuff. What skwal board do you ride? 

Thanks! It is a custom oxess 185cm skwal with 17m radius, truly a groom ripper but not as agile as other skwal.

A pleasure to watch.

You look like you are riding a conventional Skwal stance, and by that I mean compared to a current hardboot snowboard stance, the centre to centre stance length is relatively short, the bindings have no canting to accommodate the fact that the legs are one behind the other, and you might not be using any front toe lift or rear foot heel lift. Experimenting with canting and lift may allow you to lengthen your stance and increase the size of your base of support, making your position more stable and powerful.

Hardboot snowboarding started out with shorter stances than are used today, lots of canting and the riders knees locked together. A better understanding of the way stances and body shape interact has led to that stance evolving. To my mind that development process hasn't really happened for skwals.

• Like 1

It was nice to see you, @Lil Cybe! You are really getting the hang of Skwal. 

Usual Sunday copper crew went to Steamboat for 10-13” of powder and it didn’t disappoint! It was endless powder anywhere you went in the trees. We all got stuck along the day and I was in waist high snow at one point. I had to climb out of it…… oh and there was endless traffic on the way back too as all the pass closed. I had enough powder for the season…

Many of us are at Copper on Sunday so come by and say hello!!! (We tend to stick to just super bee and/or main vein)

IMG_8211.jpeg.b9f87484dbd6f0c68289459077e11739.jpeg

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 3