Note to New Members ×

Road conditions to Turner Mountain?

My first time going to Montucky Clear CUT!  Hopefully, there will be enough snow for Turner Mountain to open, and MCC is a go!

What is the road to Turner Mountain like? Will a rear-wheeled van be able to get up to Turner Mountain with all-season tires from Libby?  I have snow chains, but I prefer not to use them.   I can rent an AWD SUV as an option.

Is there a shuttle bus to Turner Mountain?

That should be just fine.  The only time I ever had to put chains on going to Turner is when there was a rain on icy roads weather event, and it was raining hard.  

There is not a shuttle to Turner.  

Cheers!

Road from Libby to Turner access road is sealed, and in 2023 when I was at MCC was cleared fairly quickly after fresh snow. The access road is unsealed and effectively one-way. There is a decent depth ditch on the uphill side of the access road. I was driving an all wheel drive SUV hire, which was not provided with snow tyres and no option for chains, and ended up sliding  into the ditch on a morning with lots of fresh snow. (Got towed out by the groomer ) Having driven in snow with chains many times in New Zealand, I would have been much more confident driving a 2 wheel drive with chains on. Chains just need practice and there are tricks to getting them on and off quickly.

Downtown Libby to Turner Mountain is about 30 minutes by car.  FYI...  You may be able to carpool with people...

Rent a standard SUV with AWD or 4WD...  I have spun out  at the bottom of the access road leaving Turner mountain.  That was with a big luxury 4WD SUV...  Just drive carefully and slowly especially up and down the access road.

I don't think rental cars allow you to put chains on their cars...

Last year the road had sections of compact snow and ice.  Portions were completely free of gravel...a nice glossy white.  IMHO in such conditions it is easy to lose traction without winter tires regardless of AWD, FWD, RWD. But with chains handy, I wouldn't be concerned.  

8 hours ago, DMKW said:

Last year the road had sections of compact snow and ice.  Portions were completely free of gravel...a nice glossy white.  IMHO in such conditions it is easy to lose traction without winter tires regardless of AWD, FWD, RWD. But with chains handy, I wouldn't be concerned.  

Yeah it was pretty tense driving for me (se post above) and just trying to keep it all very smooth.

As a NZer I was stunned at how expensive hire vehicles were, and that vehicles being hired out in Montana in midwinter were not able to be adequately equipped for the conditions. None of Hertz, Avis, National etc would allow chains nor guarantee snow tyres. In NZ in winter, chains are routinely offered for winter hires in parts of the country were snow can be expected.