Note to New Members ×

Sunvalley

Cuban Carving Gooding

From what I hear, snow conditions are somewhere between marginal and terrifying. Only one run off the top of the mountain is open right now. That doesn't mean that there won't be some good turns here or there. I am gimped up so can't report personally just the feedback I'm hearing. One run open on Warm Springs side, two on River Run side and Broadway top to bottom is the only thing on Seattle Ridge. So.....if I had not been here I would wait. At least there appears to be a change in the weather pattern the next ten days. 

I just did 7 days at Targhee it was pretty tasty.  Sun Valley is not so good right now, snowbasin should be good after this next cycle.   If you make it to Targhee you should have Kib and Michael from Germany to ride with.  Blackfoot Lift is the spot right now at Targhee.

• Like 1

mellowjonny, true-the Ghee is doing all right-I would have seen you up there, but I was out of town; maintaining my lone wolf status! @8” in last 48hrs, the ‘roy will be primo for the next week. Luv Blackfoot, lower chief joe, banked arcs. gimme a shout next time you’re here. me+3 will be in SV end of Feb for a week.

Things are indeed limited here in Sun Valley. Low natural snow and some recent snowmaking breakdowns have slowed the opening of more areas of the mountain. The snowmaking is repaired and they are blowing like mad and working to get more open.

Two new lifts on Warm Springs side of the mountain opened a couple weeks ago. They are helping move people up efficiently, so short lift lines here as usual.

College run was the only way off the top of the mountain for some time, but Ridge, Blue Grouse now open, so that helps. They are making snow on Upper Warm Springs and we are hoping to see that way off the top open soon. At present, to get from top of mountain to Warm Springs side of mountain you need to take upper College to Squirrel to lower Picabo to lower Warm Springs.

As Jer mentioned, Seattle Ridge very limited terrain with just Broadway (long beginner run) open. Hope is that more runs at Seattle Ridge will open soon, as that intermediate area draws a lot of people too it. They are making snow on Christin's Silver run there.

River Run Side of the mountain - open runs: all of College, Mid River Run, Lower River Run, Ridge, Blue Grouse, Roundhouse, lower Canyon.

Some rocks popping up here and there. Perhaps best snow is to be had by hitting groomers early, with areas getting skied off as the day progresses. Some icy areas that get your attention. A skif of snow last night didn't hurt conditions. Hoping for a real storm.

We weren't big winners, but we did fine, getting about 6 or 7 inches with this last storm. More of the mountain has opened and that has helped with congestion. Nice to feel some new snow underfoot today. Lots of happy.

• Like 3