Note to New Members ×

New Carve Toy

dr. sandman

OK, we did it.

My awesome wife :1luvu: and I went out and bought a new '05 Nissan 350Z!! No, it's not a 911, nor does it hold a candle to some of your 2 wheelers, but it's a far cry from my Suburban :biggthump

Already have made several trips to the coast with she and I practically arm-wrestling to decide who gets to drive next!

I guess the only downside is that this blew any chance of me budgeting new quiverage this year. Guess it's all about trade offs! (however, we met with TahoeCarvers member Jim, and I think my wife now wife realizes how critical the bindings are so I still might swing a major upgrade to TD2s!!)

Any way, here's a pic

9baw7q.jpg

:D

I don't suppose your gonna let your daughter drive that are you? :eek: My only other question is how are we gonna get the snowboards strapped to the top next spring when you give me a ride up to Shasta? :D My burner would look sweet on top of that!

Have fun!

Paul

post-857-141842204492_thumb.jpg

ar(angel: I don't suppose your gonna let your daughter drive that are you?

In ten words or less,...............NO!!

She thought it would be a great way for her to learn how to drive a stick - - I told her that she'll get to learn that in "Ol Yeller" (that's the '63 Chevy PU in the reflection on the Z)!! It's a 3-on-the-tree, so that will teach her very well.

By the way, it was pretty cool the other day: After my wife drove over to the coast, she told me how happy she was that I had taught her way back when to drive a stick. (I used to have a '70 Nova with a Muncie on the floor and a competition clutch)

Now I just have to figure out when I can squeeze in time for the Jet Skis :confused:

dr. sandman,

VERY nice ride! :biggthump It was so good to see Nissan come back with the Z series that brought back the roots of the original 240Z (IMHO). When you get a chance go to www.stillen.com and get their catalog. You will start drooling over the mods you can do to these things now. Take a look at the super-charger kit for your car. It runs a water-to-air intercooler which is very effective.

Ah, the good old days, I had a 72' 240Z that I put a Vette 327 in and a 4 speed. Multiple axels and rear diffs later I figured out the 300Z drive-train was the way to go. Sometime over beers I'll tell you the story of me, that car, and two local police cruisers. :eplus2:

Hey Fin,

That is one awesome site. But are you trying to ensure that I dont have the ability to upgrade to the TD2's??!!?? :flamethro

So the 8 was tough on your Z's axles? How did you manage to keep the front end sprung? Aftermarket coils, or what?? Also, how did your rack & pinion bushings or even more so the strut rod bushings fare? I used to be an ASE brake & front end technician and was considered the local guru when it came to resolving front end shimmys and brake squeal on the 2xxZ's. They were major fun to test drive :lol:

Can't wait to hear about the heat!!

Bill, I saw the picture of your trike on the x-country post - that looks like an exciting ride! What, the 2.8 wasn't fast enough!?!?

Summer's too long.

Dug out these pic's of my '78 280Z that I customized back in '89. I loved this car, too bad it came to a tragic end..... :( Long story short, about a month after these pictures were taken it was stolen and stripped :mad: Lets see who can point out the subtle body mods.....

Have fun,

Paul

post-857-141842204505_thumb.jpg

post-857-141842204507_thumb.jpg

The 280Z was a sweet car---beautiful design. (The 240Z was even cooler!) Though I'm sure it's a blast to drive, I've gotta say the newest generation of Nissan Zs look like lame ripoffs of the Audi TT--which is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today! (The hardtop, not the ragtop!)

Scott

PS - I'm assuming the Nissan Z is less expensive than a TT...if not, you're CRAZY for not getting a TT! :)

ar(angel,

Nice ride! You took the worst part of the 280 body style off...those damn huge bumpers they made them put on for the new impact laws of the time. Very clean.

Also dug up my pics of my 72' 240Z with the 327 Vette V8. This was her just after the paint job. Had one hell of a good time with it, but in college I needed the money and she had to go :(

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

post-1-141842204513_thumb.jpg

Why do you put that condom stuff on the nose of your car??

I personnaly find it ugly and it destroys the great design of many sports car!

Its funny because US +Can have to be the two only countries where u see those kind of black rubber protection...still not sure of what is the use for it..

Otherwise its a great car u've got ! jealous!

Nils

The purpose of those "condom" things (actually called a car bra, right, as in brassier) is to allow sand, salt, road grime, and moisture to accumulate underneath them in the winter months. Then, the bra gently massages this nasty stuff against your paint as it shifts slightly in the wind and from vibration. This causes your paint job to deteriorate at an accelerated rate. Then you have an excuse to have the car painted another color sooner.

;)

Jack you are pulling my leg!

can't be called a car bra!

N.

It is! I was pulling your leg about the other stuff, but they really are called car bras. The real idea is that they protect the front of your car, but having tried one for a winter I think they just create other problems.

Nils, America and Europe are worlds apart when it comes to some things. In America, people like fully equipped, big, powerful cars with automatic transmissions. In Europe, (I think) people like smaller, more economical cars with manual transmissions. One notable exception is the province of Québec (where I live) where people buy lots of compact cars. People here in Québec often wish that europeean cars be made available here. We even have some cars the US don't have like the Toyota Echo hatchback (that you probably know as the Yaris).

And like Jack said, it is actually called a bra. Don't Englishmen call the hood of the car the "bonnet"?

Nils, America and Europe are worlds apart when it comes to some things. In America, people like fully equipped, big, powerful cars with automatic transmissions. In Europe, (I think) people like smaller, more economical cars with manual transmissions.

I don't know if they like those cars, I think it has more to do with gas costing about $5 a gallon over there. If Europeans could pay $1.50/gal like we used to, SUVs would be much more popular there I'm sure. Now that we're paying well over $2/gal, I'm seeing a lot more hybrids and more smaller cars on the road here. And there are lots of car enthusiasts here who wish we could have cool European cars that aren't available.

Ehh, someday we'll have our cake and eat it too, when feul cell cars get off the ground. In the mean time I'll take a 255hp hybrid Accord and get 30mpg and a fun ride.

Why do you put that condom stuff on the nose of your car??

I personnaly find it ugly and it destroys the great design of many sports car!

Its funny because US +Can have to be the two only countries where u see those kind of black rubber protection...still not sure of what is the use for it..

Otherwise its a great car u've got ! jealous!

Nils

Why do Euro's put teflon on their carving gloves?? :rolleyes: Answer: to prolong the life of what's underneath it!! :)

I would like to do without it, but the roads in my area are laden with hoards of bugs, and lots of rocks being kicked back by the countless 18 wheelers that swarm our roads. In fact, 2 days ago, we drove down to Sacramento and had a nice rock hit the windshield - nice starburst - had to have it fixed by a glass repair outfit (car is barely 30 days old!! :smashfrea )

The purpose of those "condom" things (actually called a car bra, right, as in brassier) is to allow sand, salt, road grime, and moisture to accumulate underneath them in the winter months. Then, the bra gently massages this nasty stuff against your paint as it shifts slightly in the wind and from vibration. This causes your paint job to deteriorate at an accelerated rate. Then you have an excuse to have the car painted another color sooner.

Fact is, you're right! Have to take it off every time I wash the car, and can't use it in winter: If the backside (felt like backing) of the "bra" or as NISSAN refers to it "NOSE MASK", gets wet and stays in contact with the paint, it can cause a permanent hazing or fogging of the paint. So it has some major drawbacks making me wonder if it's worth the trouble or not.

A friend of mine has a '05 BMW 645 ci (spankin' bad aRSE ride!!) and it comes with a clear nylon(?) type material bonded to the whole front of the car, to about 1/3 up the hood. Now that seems to be a great solution - protect the paint without "masking" the beauty of the vehicle.

The 280Z was a sweet car---beautiful design. (The 240Z was even cooler!) Though I'm sure it's a blast to drive, I've gotta say the newest generation of Nissan Zs look like lame ripoffs of the Audi TT--which is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today! (The hardtop, not the ragtop!)

Scott

PS - I'm assuming the Nissan Z is less expensive than a TT...if not, you're CRAZY for not getting a TT!

Scott, check:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846&page_number=5

and

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0408_sportconv/index13.html

- you tell me?? "Lame rip off"?? Maybe, maybe not, but I bet I'll beat the TT off any line and around any corner. I'll drive my 'Burb in the snow, and guess who'll be making more/longer payments?? p.s. what did you say you drive? :ices_ange

Paul and Fin: NICE pics of the older Z's!!

I like them both and I think Nissan did the new Z mostly right, although it is a little rounder and "prettier" than perhaps a Z should be. My dad thinks the TT looks like a clown car - he has a point. The hardtop version sort of looks like they were going for an updated Karman Ghia look, but missed the mark. They'll need Pininfarina for that task. I think it's overdue.

dr. sandman,

Yea, I wasn't going to say anything but these guys are correct, you gotta ditch the bra. They are by far the worst thing you can do for your paint. Sure, you think you can remove it when needed but human nature says you won't over time. Now your paint is shot and you HAVE to keep the bra on to hide it. Vicious circle.

A guy I know who runs an autobody shop used to tell me how he makes a killing on repair work from bras and the damage they cause.

The Clear Bra option is Da Bomb! Got it on my new truck and it is amazing. Can't really see it until you walk right up to the hood. No chips and dings and it can be removed and replaced if needed. However, the trick is you gotta get it right away when the car is new or you are just bra-ing over chips and digs. Do it now, here comes the winter :eek:

Question: so if it is on a "man's" car is it called a Bro? Or is it Man-zier? :D

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. The bra/condom/mask/black thingy on the front of the Z is off. Still might use occasionally for those "messy" drives, unless I can track down a "clear bra" installer in my area fairly soon.

Fin: Do you have any general installer info for the Clear Bra? Their web site only shows SLC, Portland, Burley(of-all-places) Idaho, and SoCal as dealers. Was hoping for sac/bay area. Any one with any info??