Note to New Members ×

OT: Hit by car on my bike

Mike T

What a sh**ty morning. I was on my way to work, riding in the bike lane, and got hit by a car making a right turn. Some drivers have no attention span. Her report says she saw me in her rear view and figured I had turned off. Yeah right, I was headed down hill at aboput 30 mph and there was no place to turn off... and I should have been visible to her for at least one second before she made the turn, unless she slammed the braked on at the absolute last second.

I am extremely lucky to have only sustained a pretty serious road rash and what I hope is a rotator cuff strain (similar injury as I sustained in a carving accident 3 years ago). I'm going to have it MRI'd this time to be sure. I'll be shopping for a new bike and a new helmet though - let me just say that bike helmets really do work.

I hope my shoulder is better by the time it snows. Shouldn't be a problem unless it's worse than I thought.

In the mean time I am going to find a less-travelled route to work. Can't wait till my new house is finished - there's a bike path that runs almost the whole way!

stupid drivers should be shot, period. hope you are ok and fine to go.

i admit i get real nervous when im out riding my motorcycle in dirt area when 4x4 vehicles have been spotted. so i go quite slow at times on double tracks. im much more happier on single track and one way, very much like Wolcott's past Vail.

Ugh! Dang, hope you heal in time for the snow! Not that it matters, but did she even signal? Hope her insurance coughs up your medical bills, bike, and all.Your right, people dont pay attention incapsulated in they'er carsl, bikes and mororcycles are especially vulerable. etc...Heal up soon, Mike!

Guest Randy S.

Mike,

If her insurance doesn't immediately offer to pony up for all your medical bills, a brand new bike, helmet, clothes plus the new laptop you'll undoubtedly need to replace the one that was crushed when you crashed, call a lawyer. Don't tell the insurance company how fast you feel you were going, nor any other details. If pressed, you were traveling at a "safe and reasonable" speed and were entirely within the designated bike lane.

Oh, and don't forget the costs of having to travel to work by car for a while since your bike is out of commission and your injury will prevent you from being able to ride. Figure out cab fare each way, mulitply that by the number of days before you can ride again, and ask for that too. If you don't ask, you won't get.

Glad you were wearing a helmet. We need all our carvers to stay alive. Get well soon. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Originally posted by Mike T

What a sh**ty morning. I was on my way to work, riding in the bike lane, and got hit by a car making a right turn. Some drivers have no attention span. Her report says she saw me in her rear view and figured I had turned off. Yeah right, I was headed down hill at aboput 30 mph and there was no place to turn off... and I should have been visible to her for at least one second before she made the turn, unless she slammed the braked on at the absolute last second.

I am extremely lucky to have only sustained a pretty serious road rash and what I hope is a rotator cuff strain (similar injury as I sustained in a carving accident 3 years ago). I'm going to have it MRI'd this time to be sure. I'll be shopping for a new bike and a new helmet though - let me just say that bike helmets really do work.

I hope my shoulder is better by the time it snows. Shouldn't be a problem unless it's worse than I thought.

In the mean time I am going to find a less-travelled route to work. Can't wait till my new house is finished - there's a bike path that runs almost the whole way!

That sucks man. I'm actually pretty paranoid about bicyclists/motorcyclist sneaking up on my six and then trying to pass me as I slow down and turn. On the windy mountain roads near my house I almost had a heart attack when I saw a car coming the other way around a blind turn, and a bicyclist passing him on the left in my lane! Both me and the other driver freaked and slammed on the brakes (that apparently was not the smartest thing, but I don't practice driving my car aggressively like that) ... and the bicyclist calmly swooped back into his lane in the half-second before his imminent doom came around.

As for the shoulder... it might make you a better rider with a more "quiet" upper body... like Alex from Sun Peaks (kept riding at carve camp *after* separating his shoulder).

I hope you get better soon Mike. I crashed on my bike coming home from work in march and dislocated my knee . It was just going around a corner in the rain and opps, ****.... There were no cars involved but a driver saw me fall and stopped to see if I was alright. He let me use his cell phone to call my wife. So some drivers are great!!! I thought the year was over but 3 weeks made a big difference. Definately get a MRI asap just to make sure there arent any torn ligaments. They had to put me under to pop my knee back in the right place and now I am 100% again (ran 5 miles today) .

Jim

Just wanted to thank y'all for your responses. Hopefuilly I find out how bad the shoulder is tomorrow - it hurts like hell right now but I am hoping it's just a muscle strain + bruise. A few beers have taken the edge off quite nicely.

I've been playing back the accident and I think I figured out how it happened. I was focused on avoiding any debris the bike lane and the traffic light one block after where the accident happened - is it red, yellow or green? .

The speed limit goes from 45 to 35 and there's a traffic light at the bottom of the hill, so in general cars are decelerating as they get closer to the bottom. It's difficult for a cyclist to tell the difference between a car decelerating for the light or traffic congestion, or a car making a right turn. By the same token, drivers have to be watching other cars and the light - it's easy to forget that any cyclists in the bike lane are probably going to be carrying some speed and almost keeping up with the cars.

Oh, did I mention that I recall a noisy truck going uphill and a train whistle? No way I was going to hear a little Mazda Protege next to me

What happened next is obvious.

As far as insurance issues go - I am only interested in making sure my medical bills get covered - I didn't have a computer with me or anything and my bike is the equivalent of a beat-up asym FP from the mid-90's. I forgot to mention, a cop saw the whole thing - the driver was cited on the spot - I don't anticipate any problems but I'll be on top of it for sure.

Be safe on your bikes - even though the fault for this accident in a legal sense has already been assigned to the driver, there are steps I can take to prevent it from happening to me a second time....

When I see the amount of careless drivers around the world, and especially in countries like europeans and northern america where there are more driving rules and supposely a better training i'm always astounished! Training for young drivers has drastically improved in France for example over the last decade, with a mandatory 20 hours min. driving school, and a quite tough theorical exam. We are now in the 5000 deaths/ year on roads, (still one of the bad stats of europe ). Strange enough is the fact that Germany has as many drivers ( less small roads as we have in the countryside thu) and its absence of speed limits on certain highways doesn't cause more accidents: Driving in Germany is (when its no traffic jams ;) a pure pleasure: You lock yourself at 120 mph on the left lane, let the lucky faster pass you, and have the slowier people pulling on the side smoothly so you can pass them. You even see people doing 100 mph pulling between two trucks not even using brakes or decreasing speed just at the right timing for you to pass ( when its safe of course)! Its driver's dream: Germans have an extra pair of eyes looking back!

I was quite surprised to be able to pass the SC driving license within 20 min time when i was in Charleston, especially with the fact that no driving school was mandatory previously to the examination!

I'm wondering if the driving ability of the people there has improved over the years, but I was sometimes scared to death on the highways there, due to people not even knowing they had rear view mirrors (not to mention blinking lights). The fact that the '70-80 era cars have suspension designed for cruising, not for driving didn't help there too since the lack of reaction of the driver + the lack of reaction of the front wheels made me sweat big time many times!!

The right turn snake move is why i'm not driving a motorcycle! I'm already careful when bicycling around but doing it faster is just too scary for me!

N.

True enough! There was another serious accident here in Portland this last week. Guy was in the bike lane and hit from behind. No warning, he did not fair as well as Mike. Sorry to hear about your accident. Heal quickly. Are you already moving into another new house or did you find temporary housing while your home was being finished? Take care. Bryan

I wonder if you or Dave would be so kind to pick up a couple boards and hold them for me? Greg won't be back for another week and a half. Thanks , Bryan

That's certainly no fun. Get well soon!

My cycling routes take me around Fairfield County, CT: Many hilly, windy, narrow roads, most with no shoulders. Cars routinely pass within inches of my bars, even when the opposite lane is clear. :rolleyes:

Lately I've been conducting an experiment with my Cateye taillight/reflector. When I set the light to flashing mode, more cars on average slow down, and give me more room than without the light. This works especially well in the wooded areas and in the evenings.

One would think that my bright yellow jersesy would be enough for drivers to see, but apparently they need flashing lights. :confused:

Guest johann

get well soon Mike!

I can't wait for my first car accident on the bike. Figure 240lbs of meat might do some damage to the car too! heh heh. Cause it sure does damage my lungs trying to carry it up hills.

As to bike safety, heres a little story.

A roadie friend of mine was in Az driving along marveling at the wide berth a biker was getting on the side of the road. it seemed like all the cars passing the girl-on-bike were swerving way out of her way and being really contientious.

When it came time for my friend to pass her he saw that she was packing heat.

Sooo, want respect on the road? get a permit and wear a piece on your back. See how many drivers don't swerve out of your way.

Or try Tom's cat-eye experiment.

Mike, Get well in time for carving.

I'm always nervous on my bicycle whenever a car is in a position to right-hook me. I've often heard that bike lanes are more dangerous than riding in the street - mainly for this very reason.

My area doesn't really have any bike lanes, so I don't really know.

Originally posted by Tommy D

My cycling routes take me around Fairfield County, CT: Many hilly, windy, narrow roads, most with no shoulders. Cars routinely pass within inches of my bars, even when the opposite lane is clear. :rolleyes:

Tommy D, Just curious, but how close do you ride to the edge of the road. It seems to me that the nearer to the edge I ride, the closer cars pass.

I think, in part that by riding on the edge, you invite cars to pass (without them having to move over). Another factor is that you are less visible when on the edge (particularly in wooded, winding road areas) - like sitting below a roller, you are out of sight around the corner until the final seconds.

I just wish passing cars would give me the same clearance they give opposing traffic.

Originally posted by Dave Pushee

Tommy D, Just curious, but how close do you ride to the edge of the road. It seems to me that the nearer to the edge I ride, the closer cars pass.

I think, in part that by riding on the edge, you invite cars to pass (without them having to move over). Another factor is that you are less visible when on the edge (particularly in wooded, winding road areas) - like sitting below a roller, you are out of sight around the corner until the final seconds.

I just wish passing cars would give me the same clearance they give opposing traffic.

You are correct about visibility. I do ride as close to the edge as safety allows (Usually within 3 feet of the edge of the pavement ... there are no shoulders and I'm already well into the lane.) Any further out than that and I risk getting hit or intentionally run over. A lot of vehicles travel fast around those corners, and I don't want to be further in their path than necessary. I cannot tell you how many times drivers try passing me on blind corners in the wrong lane. One of these days, there's gonna be a head-on.

Psycologically, I think drivers do pass closer to me the further over I am, 'cause their perception is more room is available.

As part of another experiment, I'll try riding in the center of the lane; mebby I'll get more respect as they overtake me. I can hear the horns spooling up already! :D

RIDE SAFE!

Mike,

Hope you heal quickly and recover your gear. I've been riding my bike quite a bit lately and think about the possibility occasionally, but hearing about this has inspired me to be even more cautious! Good luck!

Originally posted by Dave Pushee

I think, in part that by riding on the edge, you invite cars to pass (without them having to move over).

HECK YEAH! I agree 100%. When it comes to cars (and you're on a bike), give 'em an inch and they'll take a yard! As long as the road isn't full of blind turns (in other words, straight enough so they can see you for a while), I sit a third of the way into the lane---screw 'em! (This topic gets my blood boiling!)

99% of people don't want to hit a cyclist, because they presume (rightly or not) that they'll be blamed.

Scott

Originally posted by SWriverstone

99% of people don't want to hit a cyclist, because they presume (rightly or not) that they'll be blamed.

Scott

Scott, I agree, and further, another .99% probably don't want to hit us because they don't want to mess up their paint jobs. The problem is that could still leave more than 10K in the US who would be happy to run us over.:eek:

I feel yah man, those dang automobiles just don't have any feelings.

Does anyone else ever grab onto cars to skitch a ride for a while, talk about ultimate drafting. Pickup trucks are especially easy to grab onto and usually they don't mind.

Mike- Lets see some pictures of your pizza!

Looks like I got out w/ road rash, a mild sprain of my left ankle (same one I sprained in March 2004 @ Bachelor) and a moderate strain of my right trapezius (sp?). I had an x-ray to look for hairline fractures in the shoulder/clavicle/upper arm, they were negative, and no shoulder separation which was my main concern. The doc who examined me didn't seem to think it was worthwhiole to do an MRI since all of the tests he did that would stress ligaments, I had no problems with. Although it is painful to do so, I have 100% range of motion in the shoulder in most directions and 70% reaching towards my opposite shoulder - should be back to 100% when the swelling subsides and the strain starts to heal. So I'm taking arnica regularly for the swelling and can't run, lift, or wear a backpack for a few weeks (which will certainly upset my daughter - she loves riding on my back!) but I should be 100% again later this summer.

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

As a proud member of the Texas Bicycling Coalition, I can tell you that the law doesn't expect a cyclist to hug the edge of a shoulderless road. Ride in the middle of the lane-you are a vehicle.

Saying that, let me add-I don't cycle on umimproved roads...

I cannot tell you how many times I have had a driver hurry up to pass me then drop to 0.5 mph to turn right in front of me:mad:

Glad to hear you are okay, though....

Bike lanes by and large are a joke-they are choked with all the detritus the rain washes off the main lanes....

Let me suggest a handlebar mounted mirror for the future-I feel lost without mine

Hey man, glad to hear you're ok.

Yeah, I used to bike to work regularly, and was always very paranoid about drivers. It's scary how many oblivious drivers there are out there.

Of course, bikers in portland tend to do their share, by ignoring traffic controls when it's convenient for them, which of course doesn't help matters.

But anyhow, all that ranting is besides the point.

Find some nice sidestreets to get to work on. It's more plesant scenary anyhow :).

Originally posted by skatha

As a proud member of the Texas Bicycling Coalition, I can tell you that the law doesn't expect a cyclist to hug the edge of a shoulderless road. Ride in the middle of the lane-you are a vehicle.

Saying that, let me add-I don't cycle on umimproved roads...

I cannot tell you how many times I have had a driver hurry up to pass me then drop to 0.5 mph to turn right in front of me:mad:

Yeah, I know I should ride as though I were a motor vehicle, but the closing speeds of some of those cars freak me out, especially on blind corners.

I'll keep using my Cateye, and start riding further out from the edge of the road. At the very least, mebby the cars will spot me from further away.

Actually, I'll bring this up with some of the guys I ride with; it'll be interesting conversation, at the least.

Mike,

Glad you are O.K. After two run ins with autos I'm much happier dodging them sneaky trees in the woods on my MTB.

As for the merits of the previously cited injured wing=quiet upper body theory: Have to admit that while it did help Alex at Sun Peaks, I must give it the thumbs down as a teaching tool. After all, if you have your ride (or your bride- take your pic) in one hand, how are you gonna hold your beer with the other one?

-Sean

:D

Went out for a 22 mile loop today, and decided to try riding closer to the middle of the lane. It worked. Every vehicle that passed me gave me a much wider berth. Well, except for the dumb-butt who passed me with on-coming traffic in the opposite lane. :mad:

There were a few occasions where I got passed real close, but every time I was as far over to the right as I could get in the lane.

And there was one time, at band camp: On today's ride, waiting to make a left turn at a T intersection, some guy in a Civic tried to run me over; He was making a left while looking at the utility vehicles parked on the right, and was totally cutting into my lane. A quick sharp whistle from me clued him in, and he changed trajectory, and surprisingly enough, apologized!

I'll live to ride another day. Now I'm going longboarding. :D

RIDE safe! Whatever your mode of transport!

Hey Mr. T, sorry to hear about your close encounter with the automobile - I'm glad that you're OK. I was in a pretty similar wreck about 8 years ago, so I share your pain.

"Even the most careful bicyclist can be surprised by a sufficiently stupid motorist."