Note to New Members ×

Best way to extremely cant a td3 binding?

Pusbag

Got a digital level or angle finder you can throw across the toe and heel blocks? That'll help narrow down how extreme you need. 

I bet those plastic hoof shims (that the Montucky crew found) would add what you need to a 6-degree TD3 cant disc. Cut to fit under toe and heel blocks, add longer screws. 

Clinometer app for phones available. Will give you both axes of tilt.

I've made 3 degree wedges to go under toe/heel of TD3 Intecs bindings out of exterior/marine plywood then covered with epoxy and Dynel cloth. Combined with 6 degree discs allowed me to trial 9 deg lift for a snowboard stance, and combos of lift and cant for skwal stances.

Dimensions for toe and heel blocks for slope over different distances were worked out using plans made using MS Powerpoint.

Full height blocks made first. Then drilled at 90 degrees. Then the top slope surface was sanded down. The plywood is useful when the blocks are sanded as the glue lines help you keep things even.

I made aluminium toe and heel lifts, 12 mm about 3 degrees. The are three threaded holes in the plate, so the holes that were not used are now used for mounting the lift block to the plate, the toe/heel piece can then mount are the original position. Threaded holes are perpendicular to the top face of the lift, so bolts are aligned as they should.

Note, There is some risk using very high lifts with bail bindings. The tension on the bails will increase bending stress on the plate if the bail to plate distance increases. 

Screenshot_20230412_113240_Gallery.jpg.9f9d154a2f34ec4c8d47a7decf24fce9.jpg

Screenshot_20230412_113339_Gallery.jpg.db41b9cc4bc3cec0456a85f571b44418.jpg

Edited by TimW
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Pusbag said:

So according to a clinometer app it's 6° for both front and rear binding and a 4° canted towards center aka knee knocked so maybe it's not as extreme as I was thinking it was

Good. A pair of 6 degree cant discs and a 3 degree set of wedges under one binding toe and heel block should do the job.

Rotate one cant disc to give you the canting you need, then use the toe/heel wedge to give you the extra lift you need.

6 degree cant disc rotated 55 degrees off axis will give you 3.9 degrees cant and 3.4 deg lift, and 60 degrees off axis gives 4.2 degrees cant and 3 deg lift.

Find the TrenchGear3D app (Android and maybe Apple) to play with the combos yourself.

Edited by SunSurfer