Note to New Members ×

Holly in Bad Hang Gliding Accident

SWriverstone

Scott, after reading your initial post yesterday I couldn't bring myself to finish typing a get well soon card."What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger."I'm sure Holly will be fine.I was really looking forward to meeting you two at Okemo.Best of luck for a full recovery.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so sorry about Holly. You're right about Bethesda...it's a very good hospital. That's where they took JFK. I spent a year there recovering from a little "accident" in Nam. Is Holly in the Marines? Ask her if they still affectionately refer to the Marine Corps as "The Crotch". Semper Fi.

Sorry I didn't meet you guys at Okemo. I arrived the day you left. Next year.

Miguel (USMC-Ret)

PS: In the immortal words of my dear old Mother..."For God's sake be careful!"

Scott,

Believe it or not, the military does have some awesome health care facilities, especially for folks who have traumatic injuries. I am a veteran of two orthopedic reconstruction type surgeries courtesy of the Navy and Air Force and have spent some time at Bethesa as well. The caliber of the work was very high and I got lots of good comments from civilian docs who did follow up exams. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, seek out the ombudsman if necessary, and tell Holly Semper Fi from a Navy puke who also craves the carve.

Regards,

Sean:)

Hey Scott,

Stay strong. Definitely let me know if she's being transferred to Bethesda, that's about 1/2 hour from me and I'd like to see her when ready and we can hang out around the area if you just need something to take your mind off of everything (which helped me when my mother passed a few months back) I'll be back from Mammoth Carve vacation on Tuesday morning.

===

Barry

So sorry to hear about all this. When she is awake, pass along my best wishes for her also. You stay strong for her when around her, and go find someone for yourself, to talk all this over. The emotional roller coaster for you is as important to deal with as her healing. Jon

to the both of you, sometimes the toll on loved ones in the mental aspect of stuff like this can be huge as well so take care of yourself as well as Holly

I hope the surgery goes well and recovery as well

Hey Scott & Holly & Ken!

I just returned from a trip snowboarding down Tuckerman's Ravine when I got an e-mail from Barry about Holly's accident. Get well soon, Holly! I'm looking forward to seeing you & Scott back on the slopes later this year! While reading this thread I saw Ken's post about his friend's heart attack while doing one of the things he loved to do....sorry to hear about that, too, Ken! Godspeed! All this makes my 2 big,fat, ugly, painful blisters...one on each heel not feel so painful anymore! Keep us informed, Scott, about Holly's recovery...and if she gets transferred to Bethesda, let us know as I work on the other side of the Beltway away from Bethesda, and, like Barry stated, I could meet you there and hang out w/you after work.:D

Wow---the roller coaster ride continues. Yesterday was a HUGE day for Holly. She literally came roaring back in her recovery. For the first time since the accident, she woke up yesterday morning (Wednesday morning) after sleeping more-or-less continously for 24 hours and started talking normally. Her voice is hoarse and scratchy, but it's been getting more close to normal ever since.

Yesterday, Holly also...

- asked for a hairbrush, brushed her hair and put it in a rubber band

- asked for her cellphone and glasses

- got up to use the bathroom on her own several times

- with a physical therapist, she stood and walked all around the hospital floor for 5 minutes or so

- drank water on her own all day

- ate her first real food late yesterday---some applesauce and chicken broth

The transformation in Holly was simply amazing. It's important to remember that she is still a trauma victim. She still fatigues incredibly easy and quickly, still sleeps more than she is awake, and (most importantly) still faces a 10-hour long, major surgical procedure (with the accompanying difficult recovery time). But the strength and breadth of her recovery yesterday gave me enormous hope and relief, and I feel much better about the impending surgery.

It's been fascinating how her brain is recovering. She clearly experienced significant retrograde amnesia...but over the past few days, it's almost been like watching the missing pieces of a puzzle gradually appear. The doctors yesterday quizzed her at regular intervals to monitor her mental state. (Who is the president? What is your name? Where is your home? etc.) She answers correctly about 90% of the time...but there are occasionally bizarre answers. When asked if she knew what state she was in, she replied "Hawaii." I almost laughed, but she clearly believed it for a moment. Once corrected however, she retains the corrected information in her memory (almost as if her mind simply needs a gentle reminder to "set it straight" again.

Holly also began expressing much greater interest in her accident. She asked me to describe to her in detail what happened, so I did the best I could based on what Steve Wendt described to me. The great thing to see was her mind working well enough and clearly enough that she completely understood all the techno-flying aspects of the discussion (weak link, 45-degree cross, getting thermally, etc.) Even more amazing, she remembered a few details of her setup for launch just prior to the accident. (Before this, she didn't even remember being at Blue Sky---parts of it are clearly returning, though I don't expect she'll remember the accident itself any time soon.)

Holly began showing very faint signs of blaming herself for the accident, which I immediately swept away. She wasn't distraught or upset, but glumly said "I can't believe I did such a boneheaded thing." I told her FORGET IT! It was an accident, period, and it could have happened to any of us. She asked about the glider, and was visibly saddened when I told her the Litesport was totalled. But then, she lightened up and said "Well, that's probably a good thing, 'cause I don't need to be flying a Litesport any more." I agree! :) She said "I was wearing my Rudy Project sunglasses when I flew too, wasn't I?" I replied "Yep." And she replied "And I guess they're history too, huh?" I replied "Yes, they are---along with your vario." Understand this exchange wasn't made in a sad, depressed way...but Holly was just being more matter-of-fact, just working it all out.

I told her that Steve has made some notes about her accident, and when she's feeling better, he'd be happy to go over it all with her. That cheered her up, as she's clearly looking forward to more post-accident analysis.

I'm also happy to report that as of now, Holly seems fully interested in returning to flying again when she's able. It's almost as if it wouldn't even occur to her to quit. Her spirit wamred my heart!

Late yesterday, we tried giving Steve a phonecall, but didn't reach him (we'll try you again today Steve!). We did reach Tex though. I told Tex, "There's someone here that wants to talk with you Tex." I turned on the speakerphone, and Holly said "Hi Tex." Tex almost exploded over the phone---"HOLLY! HOLLY! You sound GREAT!" They proceeded to have a great conversation, and Tex did a fantastic job cheering Holly up, and he reassured over and over not to worry about the accident or blame herself. As Tex put it, "We've all made mistakes and had accidents---we've all bonked our gliders---you just did it harder!" The call clearly lifted Holly's spirits.

There was a lot of haggling and frustration and phonecalls throughout the day yesterday over Holly's transfer to Bethesda. But it all ended abruptly when the military insurance people called and said "Either we transfer her to Bethesda, or you get a $50,000 bill." Case closed! Holly was prepared for transport.

Before leaving Richmond, I picked up a copy of her latest CT scans on CD-ROM for delivery to Bethesda with Holly. I took 5 minutes to copy all the images and data to my laptop (just in case). We left Richmond around 8pm, and I followed the ambulance all the way to Bethesda (driving Holly's truck). Leaving late was our idea---no traffic! So it was a smooth and easy trip.

We checked her into the National Naval Medical Center around 11pm last night. After seeing that Holly was comfortably resting in her new room (she has her own), I drove around the block to get a room at the Navy Lodge, where I'll be staying for the next few days.

I never doubted the quality of care Holly would receive at NNMC/Bethesda, and now that we're here, I'm glad we are! The creature comforts here are excellent---I finally have access to the Internet at a computer in the family lounge just 10 steps from Holly's room. All the nurses and doctors have been wonderful, and Holly's room is very modern and comfortable.

I finally left her around midnight and headed back over to the Navy Lodge for some sleep. The past few nights, I've been out like a light the second my head hits the pillow, and the moment I wake in the morning my first thought is of Holly, and I'm not happy 'til I've dressed and am back by her side.

Yesterday was a tiring day for Holly, and she's sleeping again now. I wheeled her dow to the audiology lab this morning for a hearing test---all clear, her hearing is fine. The opthalmologists in Richmond gave her eyes a clean bill of health yesterday. Her right eye has some hemorrhaging (and looks a bit scary and Borg-like) but she can see fine and the hemorrhaging will go away soon.

So today we're just relaxing and letting Holly sleep. She brushed her teeth for the first time this morning (she was DYING to do that!), and they've said she can take a shower later today.

As of now (Thursday midday) they are planning on surgery tomorrow, but we haven't had definite comfirmation yet. I hope so. Holly has been given detailed explanations by the doctors in Richmond (yesterday) about her facial injuries and what will be done to repair them. She understands the extent of the surgery, accepts it, and is showing a great amount of can-do strength of will and resiliency.

There are literally dozens of people wanting to visit and talk with Holly, both in the flying community and the Marines. I know Holly would love to see all of you, but I think we should hold off on visits and calls until after her surgery and recovery. If she does have surgery tomorrow, she need to relax and rest today, and regain as much strength as possible. I'm continuing to read her all your messages, which she enjoys hearing---so keep 'em coming!

As always, thanks for all of your continued love and support---it means a lot. And thanks to everyone who has expressed concern for me---don't worry, I'm holding up well. I'm the happiest when I'm with Holly, and I've been pretty amazed at how motivating and energizing love can be. :) (And yes, I'm enough a food lover not to forget to eat!)

Eventually I'll have time to respond to many of your individual emails, but for now please accept this as my "blanket response." Now that I have regular Internet access again so convenient to Holly's room, I'll be able to provide more frequent (and shorter!) updates!

Scott

UPDATE: Thursday, June 2, 2pm

TIME FOR VISITORS!

-----

It looks as though Holly's surgery has been postponed a few days, primarily due to a full OR schedule (war casualties, etc.) This is a little frustrating because we all (including Holly) would like to get it over with ASAP. But the doctors assure us the delay won't result in any harm to Holly at all.

They're hoping to do surgery this coming Tuesday or Wednesday (June 7th or 8th). The doctors are "negotiating" for OR time. This is one drawback to the NNMC (piles of casualties needing surgery)...they would already be doing surgery at MCV in Richmond. But, we'll deal with it.

The good news is that Holly will be able to see more of you before then! I know visitors would lift her spirits a lot. Timing is everything, as she still slips in and out of sleep occasionally (but she definitely perks up a lot when visitors arrive!).

It would help (but isn't mandatory) if anyone (local to this area, of course) who wants to visit could coordinate with other visitors so that perhaps 2-3 or 3-4 people could visit at a time. (Better than a stream of visitors all day long.) I'd also request (unless Holly is alert and wants people to stay longer) visits be limited to not more than 10-20 minutes.

I can't really suggest a good time to visit, as Holly isn't really following any sleeping schedule. Anytime during the day between 9 and 5 is probably fine. Evening is fine too (before 9pm), as I know it might be difficult to leave work during the day. I don't think it's necessary to call me ahead of time, just come on over.

Holly is at the Bethesda National Naval Medical Center, located just inside the Beltway (I-495) off Wisconsin Avenue. (It's a left turn into the hospital entrance if you're coming from the Beltway.) There is a parking garage which generally has spaces up on the top floors during the day.

Holly is in Building 10, 5th Floor East Wing (Surgical Ward), Room 18. I'd rather not post her room phone number generally, but if you can't visit and would like to call, please give me a call and/or drop an email and I'll give you the number.

Thanks for your support and understanding!

Scott

---

Scott Wilkinson

Cell: 717-968-0274

Guest dudleydudley

Hey bud,

Glad to hear Holly is doing well. I knew she would... no soldier would go down without a fight, and if it didn't kill her instantly, I knew she'd be fine. That's what Marines do. That's what ground soldiers do.

Like Barry, I am in the area and am a lot closer than Barry. I live in Rosslyn and my girlfriend works at the NIH across the street, so I am around. If you ever want to take a break (unlikely I know), I'm here. Let me know if you need anything or any local help. You still have my cell phone number right?

Chunae.

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the updates.....bed rest was probably the best thing for Holly...and it sounds like you are coming through quite well, Holly! Way to go!! Remember, there's going to be a lot of snow for you to ride on later this year...so, keep up with the recovery! You can do it!!! You have a great man in Scott to keep you company....way to go, Scott! Perhaps Chunnae, Mark, & I could plan a group visit soon? What do you say, guys! We keep missing each other on the slopes but maybe we can team up for a visit? My cell is 443-610-8488 if u want to plan a visit, let me know!:D

Oh yea, Scott, what style Rudy Project glasses did Holly break? Were they just sunglasses or prescription glasses?I'll be the first to pitch in for a replacement pair.:cool:

Originally posted by TEAMFUN

Perhaps Chunnae, Mark, & I could plan a group visit soon? What do you say, guys! We keep missing each other on the slopes but maybe we can team up for a visit? My cell is 443-610-8488 if u want to plan a visit, let me know!:D

Great idea - say the word Scott and I'm there... I'm pretty open... We can come up with the logistics on the MAC list - BTW my cell is 240-447-6805

Originally posted by TEAMFUN

Oh yea, Scott, what style Rudy Project glasses did Holly break? Were they just sunglasses or prescription glasses?I'll be the first to pitch in for a replacement pair.:cool:

Now that is an EXCELLENT idea! Let us know the specifics on the sunglasses Scott and the MAC crew will replace 'em!

Having only met you and Holly once at Okemo this year, you both seemed so enthusiastic on carving, but more so just high on life in general. Please know that Alex and I wish Holly a speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with you both right now. Keep us all posted on her status!

I'm writing this update from home---the first time I've been back here in 8 days. Everything seems strange after the accident, almost like I'm seeing it all again for the first time. My daughter Kate was waiting here for me, and I gave her a huge hug and collapsed in the living room to listen all about her week at school.

Kate has known about Holly's accident since the day it happened, but she has also been very isolated from it, and I don't think she understands the severity of Holly's injuries...nor how close she came to dying. I told her this evening, and she looked a bit stunned. But I reassured her Holly will be be fine, and this fact in itself seemed to prevent Kate from being too upset.

I'm washing clothes, taking Kate to dinner, and just relaxing tonight. Then tomorrow morning, we're both heading back down to the hospital early to spend the day with Holly. I know seeing Kate will lift her spirits. I've found myself longing for the little, normal things in our life as a family with Holly...just being together, having dinner, whatever. Just the little things that make our day-to-day lives what they are. Seeing Kate and Holly together tomorrow will somehow bring us all another step closer to that existence again.

I sometimes step back and think I'm making way too big a deal out of this. I saw Marines today who could barely walk, who were missing both legs, or whose lives were permanently shattered by the enormity of their injuries...and Holly's accident seemed downright trivial. (If I forgot to mention it, Holly is an active duty Captain in the Marine Corps, and the National Naval Medical Center is where a lot of military people blown up in Iraq are put back together.) But then when I go back to that moment when I first saw Holly laying on the ground, blood dripping from her nose and mouth, legs twitching...tears well in my eyes at how deep the shock and devastation felt...and I think no, this was a very big deal, at least in our lives.

Holly continues doing great, and today was a long day for her. When I arrived early this morning, we went for a slow and steady walk, arm in arm, all around the hospital. We bought tea and coffee in the main lobby, and chatted idly about the hostas and other plants growing in the courtyards. We wandered into the Navy uniform store and browsed the countless medallions, ribbons, and uniform items for sale.

Later in the morning, Holly had an hour-long shakedown from the opthalmologist to ensure her eyes are in good shape (they are), followed by an hour-long series of mental tests by the neurologists to detect any signs of brain disfunction (all clear there too!). Throughout the day she nibbled and ate various soft foods like baked fish, applesauce, and mashed potatoes and gravy...and drank lots of hot tea, ginger ale and cranberry juice.

She also had a few visitors today which really boosted her morale. Fellow hang glider pilots Hugh McElrah and Josh Criss visited (thanks!), both bearing gifts. Her commanding officer also visited. Holly's parents remain here through her surgery, so they were around this afternoon and are still there now---which gives me comfort while I'm back in Shepherdstown.

---

I just received my first cellphone call from Holly since before the accident! I never thought a silly ringtone could lift my spirits so much. I have a dedicated ringtone for Holly which I hear every day...and it sounded like a symphony after not hearing it for a week.

Holly reports that her surgery is definitely set for this Tuesday, June 7th. The team of doctors who will perform the repairs on her face explained in detail what would happen. I think this finally registered on Holly today, as she said "Man, they're really going to do some major slicing and dicing of my face!" I'd actually heard all this before from the doctors (so no surprises)---and so had Holly---but I think her exhaustion and short-term memory issues kept her from really understanding (until now) what will happen. She seemed positive about it, though.

The other good news is that some of the doctors have suggested she leave the hospital to spend the weekend at home. This would be great, as I know Holly would love to see her kitties and sleep in her own bed again. But she hasn't received the official "Get Out of Hospital Free" pass---so we'll probably find out tomorrow morning.

If any of you were planning to visit Holly this weekend at the hospital, hold your plans 'til we find out for sure whether she'll be there or not! (I'll update everyone tomorrow morning as soon as I know.) If she goes home, I'm sure she'd still be happy to see some of you at her house in Dumfries (south of DC, just a couple miles off I-95). And regardless of the weekend, she has orders to be back in the hospital again Monday morning at 7am.

I think visiting her Monday in the hospital would be fine too, and I'll check tomorrow. I don't think there will be much for her to do Monday in preparation for the surgery.

Surgery will be significant. A large incision will be made across Holly's hairline so the doctors can "move her face" to get at the bones for repair. She'll have several small titanium plates and pins added to her skull to repair breaks at the bridge of her nose, along her nose, in the floor of her right eye (under the eye) and to re-attach her upper jaw and stabilize it. Finally, her jaws will be wired shut for several weeks. (I joked that we're going to become smoothie experts during that time.) It sounds horrendous...but we also know that they've done it hundreds of times---as well as far worse. (It's somewhat comforting, I think, to hear stories like "One time a patient came in with only half a head, and we rebuilt it all from scratch, and six months later he looked great!") By comparison to much of what they do to injured service folks there, Holly's operation seems trivial.

Okay, time to sign off, throw some clothes in the wash, and go get some dinner with Kate! Again, thanks for all your support, and I'll post another update tomorrow morning letting you all know what's happening this weekend!

Scott

PS - Thanks a TON for all your support---it means a LOT to Holly! (And me too.) :) You guys are one of the greatest communities in the world for so much compassion while barely knowing us!

PPPS - Chunae, Mark, Barry, John---Holly would love to see you guys...either this weekend (at her house or the hospital) or Monday during the day...otherwise, it'll have to wait 'til after her surgery Tuesday. I'm even thinking throwing a big party/get-together for her when she's on the road to recovery would be cool...feel free to call me on my cell anytime if you'd like to coordinate a visit---717-968-0274.

PPPPS - Holly's Rudy Project shades were the Kerosene model with Laser Bronze lenses...I agree, all of us pitching in to buy her a new pair would be great!

Guest Randy S.

Keep the regular updates coming Scott. These are great to read, especially after my initial shock when you first posted about the accident.

Its amazing how therapeutic kids can be. My kids' hugs are the best. Have a great weekend.

Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to send a quick update to let you know Holly is leaving the Naval Medical Center shortly to spend the weekend at home! She is stable and well enough to leave, say the doctors. I'm happy, as I know it'll do her spirit a world of good to sleep in her own bed tonight.

Local folks please feel free to visit Holly at home---she'd be just as happy to see you there as in the hospital. If you'd like to drop by, just give a call. Visitors will lift Holly's spirits! (And thanks to everyone who has visited so far!)

Holly's house is in Dumfries, VA---about 2 miles west of I-95 off Rt.234 (just south of Potomac Mills Mall). Again, if you'd like to visit, just give me a call and I'll be happy to give you directions.

ALSO: She'll be back here in the hospital all day Monday, and you are WELCOME to visit her then too---no worries about surgery Tuesday!

Thanks!

Scott

Holly is home now, sleeping like a log in her own bed. I'm happy she's getting some good sleep without the frequent interruptions by nurses, doctors, etc. We went to the grocery store to stock up on lots of goodies for her like applesauce, Campbell's chicken 'n stars soup, mashed potatoes and gravy, and lots of fresh fruit to blend into smoothies. :)

All's well for the time being...but the surgery (and post-op recovery) still looms over us. Holly's doing well, though.

Scott

I'm scared of Holly's surgery to come. I know the surgery is good, and I know she'll recover fully...and perhaps I'm projecting my own fears unnecessarily onto Holly...but I'm getting worried that the first week or two following surgery are going to be incredibly tough for her.

For example, her jaws will be wired shut. This seems like it would be a nightmare. I don't know if I could stand it. There seem to be lots of people here who have been through some similar experiences...does anyone have any knowledge of (or experience with) jaws being wired shut? I'm just imagining all sorts of small issues...not being able to brush teeth, barely being able to talk, the critical importance of keeping the nose clear to breath (since you can't breath well through your mouth when it's wired closed)...constantly feeling hungry because the body isn't used to an all-liquid diet, etc.

I worry about her whole face being filled with countless sutures...(they're even talking about possibly having to do a tracheotomy just during surgery to keep her mouth clear...jesus, a hole in her NECK??? How many more will there be?

I'm generally an optimistic person, so I'm somewhat surprised I'm worrying this much...I just know that even if the physical ordeal isn't that bad...the mental ordeal can be significant. The mind can be a dangerous thing...especially when left alone to come up with its own nightmares...

I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst, I guess...so if it happens I'm ready for it with constructive ways of helping Holly get through it. (And if it's not that bad, great!)

Any advice or personal experiences are appreciated. And I hope my worrying is much ado about nothing.

Scott

damn, scott? dont you have a journal or anything?

really really sucks that Holly got hurt...Ill definitely never hang glide even though Im sure its incredible when youre up there.

anyway...reading all this...reminds me of an incident I saw on one some reality show

a female officer had pulled a big ol' dude over for a routine stop, and for some reason, cant remember...he snapped on her and literally pounded her face in. I think he hit her 13 times or something like that...totally smashed her face into mush

anyway...the show interviewed her afterwards...after she had her surgeries and had healed, and she really looked perfectly normal! I believe both her upper and lower jaw were broken, both eye sockets crushed, etc. devastating injuries, and she same out looking incredibly normal

no need to remind that "life" is the thing yall are glad to have, but Im guessing that Holly will come out lookin pretty damn good for someone who smashed her face on the ground at high speed.

I bounced my face off a steering whel in an auto accident in which the shoulder belt failed. 17 stitches between my eyebrow and my upper eyelash over my right eye 20 something in left eyebrow (thank goodness for catapillar eyebrows) uncounted stitches (they lost track) inside my mouth reattaching my upper lip to my jaw (they stiched from outer eye to outer eye accross my face inside my mouth). I couldn't eat solid food for 2 weeks either though I could talk if I wanted to (it hurt...alot ...I didn't talk) what bottered me the most were the stitches...they F@#$^%G itched. Any one notice that the word stITCH has the word ITCH in it...there is a sick resaon behind that. Anyway that was my experience with a damaged face...I wish Holly the best and keep her from scratching it doesn't help one bit unfortunatly

Hi Scott

First off, major injuries are tough and it takes strong people to come back strong and it sounds like that is not going to be a problem for Holly. It also seems as Holly is very lucky to have you and I wish you two all the luck in the future. It sounds as though she will recover great and all of the support from her friends and family helps a lot.

I had a bad head injury in the past resulting in a broken jaw and inner ear damage. Because of the broken jaw I had to have it wired shut for about six weeks. I lost a lot of weight but was still able to do a lot of things that I needed to do work wise. My playing (biking and such) at the time was very limited as solid foods were out and endurance became the problem. I did drink a lot of high protein shakes over that six weeks and believe me when I say you can get pretty creative with a blender trying to make something different to get down through a straw. On the lighter side admitting that the trout shake you just made really sucks is a pretty easy thing to admit. All in all I recovered just fine from the jaw and the inner ear damage. Bodies are am amazing thing. Oh yeah, one beer through a straw and you would think it was a six pack.

Something I thought of after that first beer through a straw that I would recommend would be to carry around in your (her) pocket would be a small pair of wire cutters in case of an emergency case of regurgitation to clear her mouth if needed. I never had any problems, but you never know.

kt