Note to New Members ×

Half a Run

crackaddict

As far as the comment about Asian mustard goes..
I think it comes down to what audience you are trying to inspire with your videos. 
30+ people will look at carving as a low impact option with longevity and the ideal in their mind is to make it look smooth as butter and like it was easy. Unfortunately those aren't the kind of things -30 people get inspired by. The mustard is the visual stimulation that is going to draw young blood to the sport. On the plus side, the young blood will get old like we did and swap out the mustard for butter eventually.

Not sure if anyone has noticed how Korean's teach beginner carving but sheeeeesh, that could use some mustard on it. Never seen such static motions BUT they do pump out some of the worlds best talent as soon as their students get comfortable with the speed needed to make nice dynamic turns. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, StrangeFuture808 said:

I was filming and yelled "What's so hard about just waiting?".
For the sake of politeness on the mountain it's a good thing I usually wear mitts and my hand signal vocab is narrowed down to just thumbs up or thumbs down.

Gotcha.  Yeah, it boggles the mind.  People are dumb.  They think the line they are skiing is "their line", and that they have a right to pass you at any cost.   Even if you're the downhill person, if your carves enter their line ahead of them you've committed an offense.  :freak3:  During Christmas vacation week a skier saw me coming then started down hill just as I approached.  Of course they were that special kind of intermediate whose downhill progress perfectly matches mine.  And in another incident, I got full-on snowed while sitting on the side of the trail.  :smashfrea

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Jack M said:

People are dumb.

i struggle with this for a long time but we can't change other.  We can only change our framing.
consolation is that stupid action are not necessarily accompany with malice intent.  saying goes; we judge ourself with our intention and judge other by their action.  Hence if ppl driving fast than me are crazy and slower than me are idiot.  People are ignorant and focus in their own world and not thinking of other.  I also notice the holiday crowd seems to be extra "Je ne sais quoi".  lack of awareness and "show off" is the default human operating mode?  i am often guilty of it.  Be safe out there 🙂 wear bright color vest 😜 

• Like 1

Less than half a run this time...

This section of the Snow Rodeo is the most consistently steep groomed section in Revelstoke.  About 600 vertical feet of 33 degree double black diamond corduroy.   I have nailed this thing on soft boots in seasons past with power and style but it won't count until we get in on camera right? 

These are some attempts from December.  They don't groom this section every night and the corduroy keeps getting buried under fresh pow this month, but the storms will stop rolling eventually.

I'm at my absolute limit here - just how I like it!  Not a lot of room for error, not a lot of room at the side for a cameraman (credit to @StrangeFuture808 for risking it).

One of my goals this season is to ride this section in perfect style on a sunny day and get it on film.  Stay tuned.

Edited by crackaddict
  • Like 8

Really nice! Sounds like a similar slope than we have in Finland at Koli ski resort. The slope is Ukko and there are some extremecarving examples in youtube. I think Ukko steep part is 32 degrees (wiki says 33.8). Personally I'd really really like to go for the kind of steep softboot riding you are doing. Now I just need a wide enough board.

Looks like you rode with JJA board but have you tried the same spot with your wide Contra?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crackaddict said:

One of my goals this season is to ride this section in perfect style on a sunny day and get it on film.  Stay tuned.

look forward to it!  love your videos. 
on at the "limit":  raw beauty while being savage and borderline violence  (those hip check to the mountain are the litmus test when i am at my limit).  That "2 hands pole planting" on both heel, toe side is just awesome.

Damn!!  that's steep... need to wear my brown pant if i ever try lol...

• LOL 2

7 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Less than half a run this time...

This section of the Snow Rodeo is the most consistently steep groomed section in Revelstoke.  About 600 vertical feet of 33 degree double black diamond corduroy.   I have nailed this thing on soft boots in seasons past with power and style but it won't count until we get in on camera right? 

Looks great, James! I think the steepest I’ve carved is that one section of North Axe at Nakiska but I don’t think it’s 33 degrees there. It’s hard to not let the speed get away from you. 

9 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I'm absolutely sure you'll make it and am exited to get to see it.
May I ask you, why you set up your youtube channel as a channel for kids? I would like to be notified about your latest videos, but the restrictions of channels for kids is not allowing this function.

9 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I'm at my absolute limit here - just how I like it!

Same at this spot for me:
https://schilthorn.ch/41/de/Steilste_Piste

It's got 88% (41°), is pretty narrow and I'm quite frightened, but exited at the same time, when carving it with my GS.

Edited by nextcarve

11 hours ago, Xargo said:

have you tried the same spot with your wide Contra?

The opening clip is the Contra, the rest is JJA.

7 hours ago, pow4ever said:

at the "limit":  raw beauty while being savage and borderline violence 

Balls to the wall!  Literally on toeside...  My knees and hips are touching, I just can't angulate any more and turn any tighter.   (That JJA is a 15.5m scr!)  Savage for sure; I'm a human man, I evolved to hunt and fight and f%#@, not make snacks for toddlers and write emails...  Snowboarding the steeps is where I rage.  Hardboots were getting too easy, I needed to bring back the intensity!

6 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

It’s hard to not let the speed get away from you. 

Indeed.

4 hours ago, nextcarve said:

May I ask you, why you set up your youtube channel as a channel for kids?

Because I'm a luddite.  I'll look into it...

5cbfb7ee2e2a474aa0101084c670132d_Moment2.jpg

• Like 3

Was watching your steep rides again.
While your riding is really great, I nevertheless take the liberty of suggesting a small change in your backside turn 😅

You may try to rotate your pelvis earlier and more, in the direction of the turn in order to establish a balanced body position (BBP), leading to a cleaner carve without any catering.
More pelvis rotations meaning to keep the ass off the slope, by bringing it over the board.

Something like this:

1614188380_Bildschirmfoto2023-01-14um16_45_35.png.85d3cb7efada30e8757c38a5d97ecc0d.png

On 1/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, crackaddict said:

Balls to the wall!  Literally on toeside...  My knees and hips are touching, I just can't angulate any more and turn any tighter.  Savage for sure; I'm a human man, I evolved to hunt and fight and f%#@, Snowboarding the steeps is where I rage.  Hardboots were getting too easy, I needed to bring back the intensity!

love it!  i need to work on that "intensity" and channel my inner rage ape... start to think my intrinsic operating mode is just to mellow to making any real progress in alpine snowboard.

"not make snacks for toddlers and write emails.." -- lol i am in this picture and i don't like it; except i make snack for my inner flower child.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, crackaddict said:

(That JJA is a 15.5m scr!)

Again, awesome carving, thanks for sharing.  Softer/deeper groom makes boards turn shorter.  I'll never forget when I went to Jackson Hole and only brought my 14m Coiler Stubby 170.  I figured 14m would be just right.  Could have easily enjoyed the heck out of my NSR 185 at the time.  I think it was 13-19m vsr.  15.5m on softboots on eastcoast hardpack would melt your thighs.

• Like 3

I would argue that with the kind of angulations demonstrated in the video, sidecut radius doesn't make as big of a difference as people would think. The point is that once you tilt the board almost 90°, it's the flex of the board that defines the turn shape (because whatever scr goes to infinity when looked at the side, assuming flat board). Sidecut radius of course matters when the turn is still initiating though. Also big scr means better grip in icy conditions when doing those close to 90° angulations, since there's less risk of the middle of the board losing contact.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jack M said:

15.5m on softboots on eastcoast hardpack

can break ankles too. not an enjoyable experience for everyone. the intensity put on the body carving with softboots is much greater, but that's what keeps it interesting. carving steeps is intense no matter what equipment you're on though. hardboots create a whole other challenge with less room for error. love seeing other softboot carving going down. keep it up fellahs! i forget but i think my bxfr is 10m here. nevermind the rock skipper on first turn. from almost a few years ago now. time flies.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

the board never goes to 90 while carving.

I wonder what the real math is on inclination, SCR and flex combining to create the actual turning radius.  Complex, I expect.

I do know that on my Jones Flagship even though I still kind of suck at softboot carving the radius of 9.3 m feels pretty short.  When I push it, it tends to hook around faster than I like and I lose the tail so I need to figure that out.  My heelside needs a lot of work.

When I was shopping for a softie board I saw reviews that said boards like the Yes PYL were good for carving, long radius turns and going fast.  That board has around a 7 m sidecut, this does not compute.  Do these guys have different definitions of "long radius" and "fast" than I have, or do they actually make that work somehow?  My NFC with the 12-14 m sidecut feels stable at speed and does long radius well.  10 m or less feels twitchy to me at mach schnell.

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I wonder what the real math is on inclination, SCR and flex combining to create the actual turning radius.  Complex, I expect.

This article assumes flex/stiffness is sufficient to keep the board carving according to

carve radius = sidecut radius * cosine(edge angle)

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Physics-of-a-Snowboard-Carved-Turn.pdf

So the stiffness of the board doesn't enter into the math there in that article.  If the stiffness of the board does not allow it to bend enough, or allows it to bend too much, then part of the board will be skidding.

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

Impressive @dhamann,

That trail is legit steep.  One of the steepest at Sugarloaf if not the steepest.  Only doable when conditions are good.  I've seen Dave do it and it is a sight to behold.

4 hours ago, Xargo said:

"almost 90°".

I think it doesn't even get close.  Probably 75-80 tops.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dhamann said:

can break ankles too. not an enjoyable experience for everyone. the intensity put on the body carving with softboots is much greater, but that's what keeps it interesting. carving steeps is intense no matter what equipment you're on though. hardboots create a whole other challenge with less room for error. love seeing other softboot carving going down. keep it up fellahs! i forget but i think my bxfr is 10m here. nevermind the rock skipper on first turn. from almost a few years ago now. time flies.

Solid. Well done. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jack M said:

This article assumes flex/stiffness is sufficient to keep the board carving according to

carve radius = sidecut radius * cosine(edge angle)

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Physics-of-a-Snowboard-Carved-Turn.pdf

So the stiffness of the board doesn't enter into the math there in that article.  If the stiffness of the board does not allow it to bend enough, or allows it to bend too much, then part of the board will be skidding.

I think it doesn't even get close.  Probably 75-80 tops.

Ah yeah, with that definition I do agree that 90 is impossible to reach. Then again, most riding doesn't qualify as carving with that same definition since in practice there is some amount of slip/skidding in every turn. Thank you for the link either way. I've been searching for that article couple of times actually because I do love to theorycraft and those formulas are great to get ballbark figures. I now notice that I also used the term angulation incorrectly, my bad. The thread SunSurfer linked to was an eye opener for me regarding all this flex stuff. Great info! Maybe it makes more sense to continue the flex talk there if there's more interest.

18 hours ago, crackaddict said:

This is what I'm talking about!  Let's see y'alls "Half a Run"!

My contribution from today. Both sections are around 27° steep. I measured the steepest part with a cellphone app today and got 31°:

I got that board second hand just yesterday so was really interesting to see if I can ride that Pessari jyrkkä section with a 13.2m scr after having ridden it earlier this week with a 7.6/7.3m scr. For reference, I posted vid about that here earlier:

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 8:54 AM, nextcarve said:

Was watching your steep rides again.
While your riding is really great, I nevertheless take the liberty of suggesting a small change in your backside turn 😅

You may try to rotate your pelvis earlier and more, in the direction of the turn in order to establish a balanced body position (BBP), leading to a cleaner carve without any catering.
More pelvis rotations meaning to keep the ass off the slope, by bringing it over the board.

Something like this:

1614188380_Bildschirmfoto2023-01-14um16_45_35.png.85d3cb7efada30e8757c38a5d97ecc0d.png

No.

No. Then again, I'm only guessing what I'm no'ing about.

• Like 2