Note to New Members ×

PSA: Check your Fintecs at least once a decade

nekdut

8 hours ago, nekdut said:

so busted

Ha!  That's not bad at all if that's 10 years of use!  I average 100+ days per season and my red rubber heel pads look like yours every year!

I replace my heel pads every season and I always have in the car a spare cable release and a set of pliers...just in case!

Timely post. I replace my pads before they get worn down to the metal but I’m thinking there must be a way to protect the plastic from wearing down too fast.

I recall a while back someone said they used Shoe Goo or some other sort of rubbery glue on the pads. While it only lasted a day or so, it kept the wear down and also served to prevent slipping (the red plastic pads don’t grip as well as the rubber on standard (non Fintech/Intec) heels).  Any tips appreciated on this hack!  

I’ll be riding 6 days at Steamboat in Feb and it’s about a 2 block walk from the condo to the slopes so looking for a solution.  Not sure if the Cat Traks would fit a Deeluxe hard boot as they seem to be made for ski boots?
https://www.rei.com/product/435109/seirus-cat-tracks

On 12/29/2022 at 9:34 PM, icebiker said:

I recall a while back someone said they used Shoe Goo or some other sort of rubbery glue on the pads. While it only lasted a day or so, it kept the wear down and also served to prevent slipping

Yes! Shoe Goo is literally designed for this. Mine lasts way more than a day, though I don't walk far on pavement/concrete. Just goop it on. 

You have quite a bit of clearance between the heel and the binding when clipped in, so don't stress about making it too thick. 

Tip: Monitor the Shoe Goo as it sets. You can reshape it for a few hours with your fingers, but once it sets it's hard. It will flow downhill, so I flip the boot every now and then when curing to keep from having a weird wedge on one side. 

• Thanks 1

icebiker - If you need more pocket space to store Cat Trax or Yaktrax, I use a small pouch strapped to the front of my front foot boot.  I can keep wet things or things I don't want to risk falling on in there (stubby screwdriver, multi-tool, Cat trax, etc.).  And the little bit of extra bulk down low by the boot isn't really noticeable.

Pouch.jpg.760cf4b36cfcb052735e529daf7c0a12.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, Corey said:

Yes! Shoe Goo is literally designed for this. Mine lasts way more than a day, though I don't walk far on pavement/concrete. Just goop it on. 

You have quite a bit of clearance between the heel and the binding when clipped in, so don't stress about making it too thick. 

Tip: Monitor the Shoe Goo as it sets. You can reshape it for a few hours with your fingers, but once it sets it's hard. It will flow downhill, so I flip the boot every now and then when curing to keep from having a weird wedge on one side. 

Hey @Corey alas the SkiSkootys don’t fit my mondo 31.5 boots (despite the website saying they would). So I’m going to go the Shoe Goo route. One question…how do you prevent the Goo from dropping down into the deep holes for the Fintech heel attachment screws?  I assume just put some tape over them? Or do you have another technique?  Thanks! 

41 minutes ago, icebiker said:

Hey @Corey alas the SkiSkootys don’t fit my mondo 31.5 boots (despite the website saying they would). So I’m going to go the Shoe Goo route. One question…how do you prevent the Goo from dropping down into the deep holes for the Fintech heel attachment screws?  I assume just put some tape over them? Or do you have another technique?  Thanks! 

Plasti Dip also makes a spray on so you can tape off the pins and coat the base.  It's been awhile since I tried it but I think I got 5-10 days of use before needing to re apply.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, icebiker said:

how do you prevent the Goo from dropping down into the deep holes

I just went around 2/3rds of the outside of the holes. It's pretty thick so you can control application. Once it sets a bit and gets a skin you can massage it around. 

At worst, a metal pick can always get it out if it fills the holes. 

• Thanks 1