Note to New Members ×

I suddenly need an electric skateboard

NateW

I tried a one wheel finally and have heard how much people love them but $2200 for something that doesn't necessarily relate to my surfing and snowboarding is an investment im not so in to. This looks more fun and the edge hold looks rad. i keep hearing about the one wheel failures as well. Maybe i stick to LDP... It feels like surfing/snowboarding.

OneWheels are pretty cool for mild carving on smooth surfaces, but outside those constraints their capabilities are rather limited. The sidewalks in my neighborhood are full of cracks from tree roots, and that makes them pretty treacherous on a OneWheel.

I had a great time on a sort of flash-mob ride through Seattle last weekend, and got to see a Propel Endeavor skateboard up close. The guy said it was pretty close to carving on a snowboard. The wheels are too skinny to match what you see in that video above, but I bet the taller wheels and suspension makes it pretty versatile. Decisions decisions....

• 1 month later...

I bought a Propel Endeavor 2 Pro. 

Good news: it feels a lot like carving on a snowboard, and the power is pretty respectable. Empty parking areas are a lot of fun.

Bad news: It needs a lot more lateral grip, and the bushing stiffness is a bit wonky.

It's basically like carving on an icy day. Fun, but there's still much to be desired. I think there's a lot of untapped potential, if only better tires were available. With very few exceptions, the electric skateboard industry just uses scooter tires, which have a very rounded profile and thus have tiny contact patches. Scooter tires are probably good for rolling resistance but they're terrible for grip. The few exceptions are all out of stock.

The steering response feels great most of the time. But when you slow down and try to take a tight turn, and you get about 3/4 of the way to of the steering limit, the bushings suddenly turn soft, which feels really weird. I think it's a solvable problem but we'll see.

There are models that use conventional skateboard-style wheels.

I'm now picturing some sticky kart tires on a skateboard. Can likely pull over 1 G with those if you have enough power. Tire clearance to the deck is a problem, and the crashes would be rough! 

I've got the Boosted electric board which is built on a Loaded bamboo deck with gummy skate wheels.  The great thing is that once you are comfortable with the accelerator you can toggle the speed up slightly as you enter the turn.  On a normal board, on flat land,  you would lose momentum and need to turn the other way to keep from tipping over, I just give it a little more throttle and turn for as long as I want.  360 degree carves are easy in both directions, and making turns non-stop for 20-30 minutes is a leg burner.

9 hours ago, Corey said:

There are models that use conventional skateboard-style wheels.

I'm now picturing some sticky kart tires on a skateboard. Can likely pull over 1 G with those if you have enough power. Tire clearance to the deck is a problem, and the crashes would be rough! 

I had the same idea. 🙂 The smallest kart tires I could find were 11 inches, which is pretty big by skateboard standards. Most pneumatic tires are 6 to 8 inches. But I ordered a set anyway... Maybe not the smartest choice as I still need to find compatible wheels... I will probably end up putting together a whole new board around them. I'm intrigued by the idea of mounting the trucks upside-down to compensate for the increased tire diameter.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...