Note to New Members ×

Other Aspen areas vs The Milk

1xsculler

I was walking on Sugar Beach Maui today and struck up a conversation with a girl who says she and her family stay for a week at Snowmass every winter. I asked if they ever skied Buttermilk to which she replied, “that’s very much a beginner area!”   
No wonder some of you guys like the carving there so much, i.e. probably perfect grooming and perfect slopes for linking up pencil lines. 
I might even be able to carve well there if I have pegged the terrain and conditions right!

Buttermilk has excellent grooming and is essentially an all-blue and green run hill.  I think there's one run labelled black but it really isn't that hard.  Personally I was pretty bored there but many people love it.

Snowmass is much bigger and more varied but it still has plenty of lovely blue groom, including some runs with super fun rollers.

I would recommend either of them to you for what you are looking for.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Buttermilk, especially if Ajax is busy. Its not huge and is pretty chill, but that was fantastic for me when I felt like I was going to get sideswiped at the bigger hills. I'm a big head checker, and it was usually wide open at Buttermilk.

I will say that we are pretty lucky in CO where we can pick and choose between amazing hills.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

I'm an intermediate rider, and Snowmass is far and away my favorite of the Aspen hills. I could easily spend a week there and not be bored. Buttermilk is fun for a day, if you've never been, but that's about it. It's definitely mellow.

• Like 1

As others have said: Ajax, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass are much larger and have much more variety than Buttermilk. Buttermilk is primarily greens & blues. However the grooming at Buttermilk is as good as it gets and most of the other slope sliders there are beginner/intermediate and very little concern about being overtaken by a straightliner. I love Buttermilk. 

• Like 1

I don’t count race slarving or EC in what I like in carving. I lump all the rest together, i.e. getting knees within about one foot of the snow, linking pencil lines and controlling speed by sweeping back up the hill if necessary…that’s just me and my interest other than pow!

There are so many ways to challenge yourself on a ski hill. Some need those double-black mogul runs with cliffs to raise their heart rate. Some can have fun on a blue groomer. Some are challenged by a green groomer. 

The best parts about Buttermilk, to me: 

- Wide groomers 

- Very few lines at the bottom because so many people share the above lady's point of view 

- Wide groomers 

- Fun tree stashes of powder way after the other hills are tracked out 

- Wide groomers

The worse part of Buttermilk isn't even that bad: That chicane thing near the base on the front side