Note to New Members ×

Choice of snow pants for hardbooters

FelixD

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I don’t think it’s cheating or easy to drag a hip on the snow, it’s a result of getting low not necessarily flopping. That’s when you see the wear on the pants of people skilled enough to do so.  Do you think Patagonia would warranty a pant that has been abused in this fashion?

You can barely skim, the wear on clothing will be very minimal. Otherwise if dragging is a sign of skill. I must be seriously skilled by going through 2-3 pants every season (100+ days a season) the past several years (and I don't fall a lot).

I forgot the 2nd portion. Yes. They believe in reducing planet waste. Their warranty policy is incredibly generous, that's part of the steep price. Other brands that claim a lifetime/unlimited warranty have some fine print associated with it; not Patagonia.

It's either they replace it for free, or repair it for free. I'll take either as gear repair costs are often $40+; which is about half, or a significant chunk of just getting a new pair of pants if you time gear sales right. I often buy gear at 50%+ off by timing it right.

Edited by Odd Job

3 hours ago, Odd Job said:

gear repair costs are often $40+

Where do you get gear like snow pants repaired? Most local tailors I know can't deal with performance wear. 

I've used Boulder Mountain Repair (https://bouldermtnrepair.com) with so-so results, but they're incredibly expensive. It's difficult to get a simple repair done for less than $150 including shipping. 

8 hours ago, lafcadio said:

Where do you get gear like snow pants repaired? Most local tailors I know can't deal with performance wear. 

I've used Boulder Mountain Repair (https://bouldermtnrepair.com) with so-so results, but they're incredibly expensive. It's difficult to get a simple repair done for less than $150 including shipping. 

Oh dam. That is what I used. I think I got two heat weld patches years ago; It was something close to $50 at the time. I'd personally opt for free repair/replacement with cost of shipping or just buy a new pair of pants every season, with backups within that season ready to go, just in case.

I had been using a pair of Burton pants for almost 30 years. I loved them for the small rubber pads sewed into the knees. I just retired them and got a pair from Spyder. These were the only pants I could find with an outside small zipper to let the intec release lever pop through the pants. So far the pants are good but I am far from dragging my hip in the snow on a turn.

6 hours ago, gawdzira said:

These were the only pants I could find with an outside small zipper to let the intec release lever pop through the pants

Life hack time: Like Neil said above - try leaving the intec handle inside the pants. Even with huge mittens for -40 riding, I can still grab the handle through the pants. It's a different feeling, but you don't need much pull to release an intec. 

Reduces snow in the pants and looks less like a colostomy bag allowance. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2