Note to New Members ×

CLEW soft boot step-in bindings

I was debating a pre-order myself. My wife really wants a pair. There are a few reviews on YouTube which make them seem very functional for certain applications. Not sure about high back stiffness and adjustability for forward angles. Duck stance these seem like they would work. 

They seem like a great alternative to flow bindings. I am eager to see a review on their performance against a high performing strap binding, like ride A-9s or Burton genesis. 

• 1 month later...

Hmm...  The Nidecker binding looks interesting.  I hadn't heard about those yet.  I respect the brand.  My favorite all around resort soft boot board is the Nidecker Megalight.  Wonder why they aren't branding the new binding as Flow?  They own both Flow and Now bindings, after all.

I've used Flow bindings on my softboot boards for a long time, but have added a couple pair of these lately and really like the comfort and ease of entry/exit:  https://www.thesplitboardshop.com/product-page/sp-bindings-slab-mountain.  Not quite as simple as Flows, but can still be done on the move, and I think it feels the most like a normal strap-in when done.  I pull the highback partway up, then lock down the strap, then complete the highback. 

I still use a lot of Flows, but frankly I haven't liked any of their models as much as the M11 line from a decade ago.  Simple, reliable, proper fit.  The Pro-11 line before that was too stiff (in retrospect), and the models that came after always seemed to have some annoyance.  I haven't bought any in the last 5 years though, so I don't know if the quality came back up after Nidecker acquired them.

I'm not interested in the Burton step-on because it relies on the boot for support, and hello, it's a "soft" boot.  I got into Flow bindings because I liked how supportive they could be regardless of how soft your boots got over time.  The Clew offers the support of a typical strap-in (which honestly isn't much compared to old-school Flows), but I don't trust the rest of the mechanicals enough to be an early adopter.

The Nideckers are using similar straps as Flows at least for the prototype in the videos.

https://www.flow-bindings.com/en/men/84-1698-nx2-cx.html#/132-size-m/139-color-graphite

I use Flows today and have mixed feelings. When they are tight enough for riding, I cannot easily get into them without loosening straps first. The toe straps barely move when the highback is in the open position, so it's hard to slip back into them when tight. I have figured out how to live with it, but it means my boot position can vary from run to run depending on how much I loosened the strap. It appears that on the Nideckers, the straps pivot away more than Flows so I might be able to get the trifecta - easy entry, tight fit, and no fussing with straps.

Marketing them as Flows might be confusing and require a lot of education to make sure shoppers know what they're buying. Seems like it is a tradeoff of leveraging the brand to drive sales versus guarding the brand from a flop.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, jng said:

The Nideckers are using similar straps as Flows at least for the prototype in the videos.

https://www.flow-bindings.com/en/men/84-1698-nx2-cx.html#/132-size-m/139-color-graphite

I use Flows today and have mixed feelings. When they are tight enough for riding, I cannot easily get into them without loosening straps first. The toe straps barely move when the highback is in the open position, so it's hard to slip back into them when tight. I have figured out how to live with it, but it means my boot position can vary from run to run depending on how much I loosened the strap. It appears that on the Nideckers, the straps pivot away more than Flows so I might be able to get the trifecta - easy entry, tight fit, and no fussing with straps.

Marketing them as Flows might be confusing and require a lot of education to make sure shoppers know what they're buying. Seems like it is a tradeoff of leveraging the brand to drive sales versus guarding the brand from a flop.

Flow is the 3rd largest binding MFG behind Burton and Union. I have the same issue and sacrifice time to reef down the four ladder ratchets for ultimate pain/control purposes... Im looking forward to breaking the supermatics next...

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I got my clews this week. They are pretty great. In and out works really well. Their performance is really good. They feel solidly connected. 

There is no repositioning the high back to match the angle of the bindings. So for angles above 15-17 degrees I would not recommend them. 

The ankle retention strap is uncomfortable. I can't tell if it is the strap itself or the position of it. I rigged up my Burton Genesis straps to it to see if they are better. Obviously, there is not a way to adjust the attachment points. The genesis straps are the most comfortable straps I have ever used. 

I like to ride my bindings super tight, then loosen them for the chair ride. These don't change that habit really. But they do allow for hot entry without stopping on some chairs.  

PXL_20221209_161122882.jpg

PXL_20221209_161129284.MP.jpg

• 1 year later...

Clew are on my shortlist for new softboot bindings.

Supermatics are too complex I feel, too many possible points of failure.

I don't want to be constrained on boot selection with the Burton Step Ons...

The Clew are about sold out for this year.  I'll watch for a V2.0 next year I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone local was selling a pair of medium Clew bindings.  I need smalls personally but I messaged the seller to find out more about the stated reason he was selling them...  'not stiff enough for carving'.

He previously used Step On and will be going back to the Burtons.

He indicated the high back flexed too much side to side.  Basically sounded like it pivots or flexes on the lean adjuster in the middle.

I'll hold off after hearing that review and see what they change for the 2.0 version which should start shipping late fall.  

I asked CLEW if their presumed forthcoming 2.0 version might have improved stiffness and they replied:

"thank you for your request. Our bindings are already stiffer than average and currently we have no plans to change our specs due to the very positive feedback from our team riders and the vast majority of our customers.
A rotatable highback is sometimes requested, but this is currently not possible due to technical reasons. (The cable mechanism for opening the binding runs through the screw connection of the highback)."

I may be looking at Nidecker Supermatic again...  I was concerned about all the moving parts, but perhaps it's not so bad.  

If anyone sees discounts for Canadian retailers, let me know please.  10% not hard to find, looking for 20% and ideally someone who has the Olive colorway.  

2 hours ago, slabber said:

I may be looking at Nidecker Supermatic again...  I was concerned about all the moving parts, but perhaps it's not so bad.  

If anyone sees discounts for Canadian retailers, let me know please.  10% not hard to find, looking for 20% and ideally someone who has the Olive colorway.  

Bit the bullet.  Alternative113, a Quebec shop, had 20% off in store, so applied to online order.  Medium Olive Supermatics on their way to me.  🤙

Just tried these out… step-in mechanism performed flawlessly, but the highbacks have a lot to be desired.  Limited forward lean which really seemed to limit their performance.  For a recreational rider, they would be fine.  If you’re looking for carving and charging hard- look elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, TJR said:

Just tried these out… step-in mechanism performed flawlessly, but the highbacks have a lot to be desired.  Limited forward lean which really seemed to limit their performance.  For a recreational rider, they would be fine.  If you’re looking for carving and charging hard- look elsewhere.

Good to know, thanks for that feedback. 

I think I made the right call going with the Supermatics - they arrived today.  Though I read they're not the stiffest either but given I don't want to buy boot and binding (Step On), they're the next best option I think.  2024 model so new colorway but otherwise same as last year's binding. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I have noticed that people are saying some of the high backs on these types of step-in bindings are stiff and not adjustable. What are some of the other flaws that any of you have experienced and what could be improved? Thanks.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:12 PM, Hey John said:

This showed up on my home page.  I’m not in the market for soft boots yet but I still like watching non-infomercial, non-influencer, i.e. paid reviews. From Mr. Sunshine himself. 

I saw that as well- I appreciate his honesty.  With Flow's, Burtons, Supermatics and even the Clickers and Cinches, I don't see an advantage to these.