Note to New Members ×

Just another good German

BobD

I don't understand business.  It's expand at all costs.  Why can't they simply improve their products, treat their employees well, and mind what's happening in the world?

This guy was a total ass, as I bitch on my Chinese made computer.   He probably does not want to go to a re-education camp.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/19/protesting-winter-olympics-athletes-face-certain-punishment-suggests-beijing-official

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, Deuxdiesel said:

As we watch on our Chinese made tech while wearing our foreign made clothing...

Sure, that's unfortunately unavoidable, but doesn't necessarily make us hypocrites since there are no alternatives.  But where alternatives are available I'm willing to shell out a bit more for items that are manufactured closer to home (bikes, tools, snowboards, food).  I really wish it was easier to find more alternatives that are at least produced on the same continent as I live.

The Burton guy is definitely an ass and couldn't have defended their business case any worse.  Just admitting that they only focused on maximizing growth and don't actually give a shit about improving the planet would have been better than the waffling he was doing.  The even scarier thing: now Burton's nuts are in a vise. I doubt that they can say anything critical about their gracious host, without that leading to serious bottom-line repercussions.  Consider what happened in Norway when China put pressure on the government during a visit from the Dalai Lama: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-norway/china-says-paying-attention-to-norwegian-change-of-heart-on-dalai-lama-idUSBREA3R0OB20140428

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:05 AM, BobD said:

Thanks! That was really interesting! Honestly, we don't know anything about Burton in China... What they produce there, how they treat their exployees, how much they are paid. It seemed like the interviewer (at the beginning anyways) was trying to throw Burton into the fire to support the protests for Olympics in China. I truly believe Burton can do what they can to help people there and make it a better place. Nobody should assume they are involved in or supporting any kind of human suffering. We're really excited to see the snowboarding events in 2 weeks!