Note to New Members ×

Snowboarding Conditions Scorecard

JohnE

I was thinking that each day of snowboarding could have a conditions scorecard. Each category could have a rating from 0 = Terrible - should have stayed home; 5 = Fantastic - one of the best days ever!

The conditions categories could be:

The drive up: 0 = Stop & go - bumper to bumper; 5 = Great - I could drive as fast as I wanted.

Weather: 0 = Cold, snowing, blowing, zero visibility; 5 = Blue skies & sunshine - not too cold.

Crowds: 0 = Long lift lines, lots of A-Holes on the slopes; 5 = Where is everybody?

Snow conditions: 0 = Icy, rough, crappy; 5 = Near perfect groom or 12+ inches of new powder

Drive home: 0 = So bad I forgot what sort of day I had; 5 = Great - I could drive as fast as I wanted. 

So a perfect day could have a score of 25. A bad day could be near zero. 

What other conditions factors should be considered?

3 hours ago, JohnE said:

0 = Cold, snowing, blowing, zero visibility

Can make for a great powder day in the trees!

Other items that matter.

How close your parking spot to the lift? Board swaps  

How good my equipment is feeling. 

Are you getting a good value for what you paid to be there that day?

For me, high density crowd volume can destroy any day.  That could be up to a -20 in points.

• Like 3

Agree on the weather conditions. Some of the best powder days ever had almost zero visibility. 

What I paid to be there that day is almost immaterial with a season pass. The bigger cost is the hassle factor: Is the riding worth the hassle that day?

Agree on the crowds. Having to be constantly on edge about what others might be doing can ruin the joy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Up for my first day of the season on 12/29. Not a great day. I'd estimate my score as about 14. Crappy traffic driving up, weather was so-so, crowds were bigger than ideal, conditions were OK, drive home was pretty easy. 

I should probably modify the scoring scheme. I realize that getting in some really good carving runs can make up for a bunch of other less-than-ideal circumstances. 

It wasn't a horrible day - just not much fun. Maybe one of the worst days in memory - short of getting injured. 

I feel that if we don't acknowledge bad and mediocre days, we can't really appreciate great days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dredman said:

Saturday was a great one at Turner Mtn.  

Chalky groomers, powder in the glades, no lift line, vacant slopes, parked within 75 feet of lodge and lift, good visibility.  

I thought this was typical of every day at Ŧurner. Whitewater got  62cm last 24 hrs. so pretty good there too!

• Like 1