Note to New Members ×

MHES?

Dan

I looked at the forcast this am and it looks like rain all day for the weekend. Its hard to call it from the parking lot but so far this year, every event I wanted to do has been rained out. Hard to justify the drive for a 70

% chance of rain. I hate to say it but it looks like I'm going to withdraw, unless one of you guys has a direct line on controlling mother nature and the weather. Ed thanks for the offer I appreciate it greatly, I hope to see you all next year during the season at some point. Mike T thanks for the gallant effort at organizing the event. Next year in Bend? The snow gods must be very angry to torture such a great bunch of committed riders..... Or maybe we should be committed for our dedication? Keep the beer cold, your boards waxed and the spouses happy, just in case...... Art

Originally posted by Art

Next year in Bend?

Absolutely!

Anyone else notice that it's 2 years running now where the weather has thwarted a May Timberline event?

The thing with Timberline in May is, when it's sunny it kicks @$$ but when it's not, you risk not even having any lifts running. Those who attended last year can attest to what carving in soupy fog is like.

I am thinking a Bachelor event in late March might be the way to go. Even if it's socked in we can always carve on Pine Marten / Skyliner / Sunrise, and if it's sunny we can hit up summit and get some of that corn, although it won't be as amazing as the best days on ZigZag glacier.

Or maybe an event that spans both Hood and Bachelor. Let's talk in the fall when readership is a little higher.

The snow gods must be very angry to torture such a great bunch of committed riders..... Or maybe we should be committed for our dedication? Keep the beer cold, your boards waxed and the spouses happy, just in case...... Art

Tell me about it - what a fitting end for this season.

In any case - I'll have my gear ready and wake up early. If ity looks good I will head to TLine. If not, I won't - I need a good reason to risk a relapse of the flu right now. Same goes for Sunday.

Everyone who does make it, please make some arcs for me if I can't make it, and drop me a line if you're out this way!

Just a "Head's Up" , Timberline changes to 8am starts this Saturday the 14th. So don't be surprised when you show up at 9AM and we have tracked the place out!! :)

Wednesday was good after the 5" of new. Helped to freshen things up. It should have been through a few "Melt /Freeze" cycles now and should make for some good corn. Eric , email me for your pics. Bryan

Ed, could you toast my bread just a little bit more this time? :D

I predict you guys will have some sort of epic day as these thing happen when I cancel or cant go. If this weather system stalls or you guys have good weather you will have me to thank. The weather here today is great and my spy in PDX tells me tomorrow is supposed to be nice in town. However the mountain forcast is not as kind. As I said, you cant call it from the parking lot ( or Seattle) but I will save the money for next year. Enjoy the sunshine, It's on me! ;)

Saw Eric's pics at work, it looked great. Eric had a sly smile coming in at 2pm and looked at little tired . He said he couldnt post any pics do to something about 2-planking...

I will be there tomorrow regardless at 8am , lets hope for a little luck form the mountain gods ...

Jim

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

Just a "Head's Up" , Timberline changes to 8am starts this Saturday the 14th. So don't be surprised when you show up at 9AM and we have tracked the place out!! :)

Wednesday was good after the 5" of new. Helped to freshen things up. It should have been through a few "Melt /Freeze" cycles now and should make for some good corn. Eric , email me for your pics. Bryan

Ed, could you toast my bread just a little bit more this time? :D

Private Powder 8s

To the locals. Yes, that is Missi. headwall in the distance just above the clouds. Portland was clouded all day while we enjoy brilliant sunshine and fresh snow. Mind you it was not like 5" of dry snow, but hey it is May!!

Tracks made by exactly 3 "Snow-sliders"

Phooey, I thought I could make it, but I'm afraid I have to bail. (Besides, it's going to rain...maybe.)

I'm going to E3 on Sunday (YAY!!!), and don't quite have all my ducks in a row yet.

Any gamers in this crowd?

Originally posted by slopetool

Sorry, lifts closed today due to visability.

I will be heading up next Sat. and Sun. instead if anyone is interested.

Hope to see you -

Ed

How fitting for this season :<

Tomorrow does not look any better. Ed, I hope to meet you there next weekend.

Yep, ditto. However I bet Ed goes up anyway.:cool: Ends up getting some sweet "Creamed Corn" and is sitting in a puddle on the chair lift laughing at all us light weights right now!! Ed , you are a die hard dude!!

Me?, too much coffee, not enough sleep. Working on the website galleries. Any old school Sims fans? Just completed a number of new galleries. Not tied into a page on the site yet. Here are direct links if you want to preview them.

Sims Early Silver 1400

Sims 1400 Silver and Black

Sims 1400 Gold

Sims 1500 FE Black

Sims 1400 Gold Pre Fe

...due to visibility and rain - that's 3 days in a row. Had there been enough snow for the original 4 day event, we would have been fogged out 3 of the 4 days including both weekend days.

So in two years, with 8 planned days of May get-together at Timberline we've had:

1 day (Friday last year) of absolute heaven

2 days of low-visibility carving

5 days cancelled due to weather or Timberline trimming lift schedule at last minute

As much as I love carving at TLine in May, I think MHES needs to be moved next season. The fact that all of the good carving terrain at Timberline is above, well, the timberline and subject to frequent closure during winter/spring pretty much takes Timberline out of consideration for an event that is scheduled in advance.

Seems to me that Mt Bachelor is the best place in Oregon to schedule something in advance. There is enough sub-timberline carving terrain for even a horrid year (such as this year), their grooming is better than Mt Hood Meadows, and their hill stands up to low snow the best. (Oh, and they groom the carving runs after midnight - a boon to those of us not raised on ice)

I don't want to steal any thunder from:

SES - Feb 13-17

ECES - March 5 - 12

So an Oregon session in late March perhaps?

Mike, I will second your decision on moving to Bachelor. I went over to Hood this weekend after watching the weather and thought that Saturday might be a go knowing that Sunday was probably out. I have always had good luck at Hood in the summer and only once before (in the last 10 or so years) had the lifts shut down on me. All about timing at Hood.

I did get to the parking lot on Saturday about 7:45 and hung out in front for a while hoping. Any way I got in a good hike on the lower part of the mountain east of the area so not a total loss I suppose. I did almost head south to Bachelor to ride on Sunday but glad I did not bother after seeing the web cam in the mid morning. I think that you culd only see up to about the 2nd or 3rd tower from the loading.

Late March is a good time. Even into the end of April or the first week of May. Low season then, cheaper rates at most places, and it usually is still good for carving.

The photo in P06781's post was the short time you could see the mountain, at least from the parking lot.