Note to New Members ×

Question for Canadians buying from USA

Ray(ottawa)

My understanding of the free trade agreement is that goods manufactured in the USA can be brought into Canada without any duty charges. How about boards such as F2, that are purchased in the USA but not made there?

I have had good luck with items shipped via USPS/Canada Post. Usually a flat $5.00 border fee and the tax, but no duty charges. I guess it depends on how the shipping declaration form is filled out? Thanks for any information or advice from those of you have bought boards in the USA.

Originally posted by Ray(ottawa)

My understanding of the free trade agreement is that goods manufactured in the USA can be brought into Canada without any duty charges. How about boards such as F2, that are purchased in the USA but not made there?

I have had good luck with items shipped via USPS/Canada Post. Usually a flat $5.00 border fee and the tax, but no duty charges. I guess it depends on how the shipping declaration form is filled out? Thanks for any information or advice from those of you have bought boards in the USA.

When I sold a pair of boots to someone in Ontario, he said if I listed them as used, customs are better. Hope that helps.

You are right, there is no duty to import snowboarding equipment, even from Europe. What you must contend with however is the GST and PST on the declared value for the shipment. So a $300 Cdn board will incur $45 taxes, and if you use the postal service, probably $5 brokerage fees. If the declared value is under $40 they seem to ignore the shipment, no brokerage, nothing.BUT if you ship UPS or FedEx, prepare to be squeezed big time. Excessive brokerage fees, and duty charges if they are too lazy to check the paperwork.

e me directly if you have questions.

I've found it really matters which customs agent you get. Some are lazy and just make duty rates up. Others look it up in the book. Usually the lazy ones don't charge as much as the book requests - you want those guys!

Duty is based on where the product is made. I've had to pay duty on every snowboard I've brought into Canada, usually between 4 and 7%. You always pay the PST and GST. One more interesting fact: Ski boots have 0% duty. Snowboard boots get hit with a 22% duty. Hardboots look like ski boots. You figure out the rest. ;)

Don't let UPS charge you their rediculous rates, most of their charges are brokerage fees. Call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask how to broker your own shipments. It takes me about 10-15 minutes of driving each time and has saved me hundreds if not thousands over the years.

Originally posted by corey_dyck

You always pay the PST and GST.

You never pay the PST on international shipments, only the GST. I think similar to buying stuff from other provinces you are supposed to voluntarily pay the PST yourself. But here in Saskatchewan there's actually no way to do that except for cars (local paper ran a funny article on this a while back).

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

You never pay the PST on international shipments, only the GST. I think similar to buying stuff from other provinces you are supposed to voluntarily pay the PST yourself. But here in Saskatchewan there's actually no way to do that except for cars (local paper ran a funny article on this a while back).

Hmm, you're right! I just assumed you always paid both taxes. :) 7% more in my pocket!

You are supposed to pay provincial tax as well, but Canada Customs does not have an agreement with the provinces to collect the PST. Technically, I think you are expected to send your PST in to the province. I don't think that many people do }:o)~.

I have also been stung by the couriers charging exorbitant fees for minimal service. The postal service route is much better.

I've bought stuff from the U.S. in the past, and sometimes I paid taxes and sometimes I didn't. I didn't notice any pattern to it.

Just last week I bought a bunch of SCUBA equipment from NY. It was shipped FedEx (I had no choice, even though I tried to have them ship it USPS) and I ended up paying GST and PST, which I'm sure will go to good waste. :D

• 7 months later...

FedEx and UPS charge brokerage fees *only* if you use their cheap Ground service. If you ship by Air, the brokerage fees are included in the fees. It's all spelled out in their respective websites.

Another option if you live near a border is to use Mail Boxes Etc. office in the U.S. border town. They will accept and hold shipments for a nominal fee. You then pick up, bring across yourself and make up your own story about why you're bringing back a snowboard in the middle of July.