Head Stratos Pro

lmfmjha

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the boot can flex 25-30° forward ! Unfortunatly, the standard spring system limits this movement. I built a new system giving a longer stroke. It's possible to choose between three different spring combinations :

standard Head + green : soft

Head + blue : hard

Blue + green : medium

Upper nut allow hardness adjustement

this works great !

post-1322-141842206556_thumb.jpg

post-1322-141842206558_thumb.jpg

I found that the 2nd and 3rd buckles crimped together

You're right, especially for the 3rd, but IMHO it's not the main problem. A few years ago, Jacques Rilliet from extremecarving.com move up the 3rd buckle with success. Up to now Head behaviour is great for me, but I'm thinking to do this for the new season. Note that generally I don't use the lever to close the 3rd buckle. I find it better with minimum clamping

You're right, especially for the 3rd, but IMHO it's not the main problem. A few years ago, Jacques Rilliet from extremecarving.com move up the 3rd buckle with success. Up to now Head behaviour is great for me, but I'm thinking to do this for the new season. Note that generally I don't use the lever to close the 3rd buckle. I find it better with minimum clamping

I gave up after 1 day because I'm not one to make my own mods... I might have kept them longer had someone else done the engineering for me... Well, hopefully this kind of thing works out for others :biggthump

Im not down to cut my boots, but Id be into one of those spring setups! If Im seeing it correctly, it requires no real mods, just remove the old mechanism, tap the pin in place, screw in the angle bracket and then assemble the springs, no?

man...fin...you should make the "RAB" for the head boots too!

it requires no real mods, just remove the old mechanism, tap the pin in place, screw in the angle bracket and then assemble the springs

Yes, very easy to mount. Only 2 holes to drill for angle bracket screw.

I never tried ACSS without cutting plastic, because I did all mods at the same time. But I'm afraid you can't take advantage of the longer stroke without modifying the boot ...

Looking for a beta tester :)

I guess drilling a couple holes wouldnt kill me

wanna rig up 2 pair...one for me, one for randy?

I'd want to be able to try different spring combinations, but would likely settle on "medium"

Im running Blax Stratos, btw...pretty sure its the same boot as Head Stratos, and close to same as Stratos Pro

props for the ingenuity, as well

Guest Randy S.

OK, How many people would want one of these set-ups if Arnaud were to ship them here? I suppose I could order a bunch from him and then send them on to folks here in the US. That would save on shipping fees for most of us. I'm going to London in a couple weeks. Too bad I don't need to be in France or I'd go pick them up.

I suppose I could order a bunch from him and then send them on to folks here in the US. That would save on shipping fees for most of us

Great idea. Better also for me to send only one package.

Could someone give me an idea of the height of the cuff on this boot.

See on the picture. My boots are Mondo 28 size / US 10

post-1322-141842206574_thumb.jpg

I have tried them on but not rode in them and I would say they are a bit softer and shorter than the burton fire and wind

if you want stiff you might think about the the deeluxe indy and buy the race tongues for them, they are sorta hard to find but are around, I have a pair the stiff tongues but I use them sometimes, might dump them at some point though since I have been moving to softer flex with my boots.

Arnaud,

Please remember me for an ACSS! We corresponded on ExtremeCarving forum where I first saw your handiwork. I'm in Canada though, and would be happy to be the Canadian "distributor" if there is anyone else in Canada who wants an ACSS so you can just send one package here and I would redistribute.

Best regards,

Mark

Bought a pair of these last year (orange ones) and am wondering what the stock liners are like. So how moldable are these things and how are they molded? I imagine that they would not form as well as the thermos. I'm currently using Raichles 423s and found the moldable liners to greatly increase the comfort for my feet. I've got wide feet and had a couple of pretty bad pressure points (one just up from my baby toe and one just below my inside ankle bone) that pretty much disappeared after switching to the thermos. Just wondering if I will need to resort to switching the liners.

Also, what is the effect of having a lower cuff combined with the added stiffness of the boot. I'm currently riding a pretty soft boot setup (with TDs and a Colier) with my boots unlocked. One reason for this is that my calves tend to get really tight especially when riding hard early. I'm sure extra stetching would help, but I found that the tightness/discomfort was eased if I left my boots in walk mode. I pretty much exclusively ride with this type of setup. Hmm, looking at the pics, I guess these won't ever flex as much as the Raichles in walk mode?

Believe it or not I had a friend pick the boots up for me last Feb., but have not had a chance to pick them up yet. Figure I'll give them a try this season at least and then put them up for sale if they don't work for me.

Thanks,

Gabe

I guess these won't ever flex as much as the Raichles in walk mode?

No ! this is the opposite.

Before using Head boots last season, I had also Raichle and rode in walk mode (even without the system).

I made some test in a shop, and in stock version, Head flex is similar to Raichle / Deeluxe Suzuka (Both in walk mode)

After cutting the shell, Head flexes much more then Raichle ! Let's say 15-20° for Raichle while 25-30° for tuned Head.

I too have a pair, size 31.5 mondo, 13 US. I would probably fit best in 12.5 us, but anyways!

These are my first (and only) hard boots, and after one season (that only lasted a week. I broke my prior 4wd on it's 5th day of use, my first day in hokkaido, so I spent the rest of my trip there enjoying the lovely powder snow that falls in feet every day) I can't really judge whether or not I want more flexible boots or not -- what are the main differences between the boots before and after the mods?

Thanks a ton,

Jamie

what are the main differences between the boots before and after the mods?

In stock, Head boots are excellent (comfortable, warm) but somewhat stiff. Some racers like this. (extreme) carvers don't. After modifying the boots you get great forward flex and increase the effect of the spring : less effort in your legs.

Modified Head boots behaviour is very similar to Northwave .900 one

Arnaud

• 2 months later...

Thread resurection.

Did anyone end up getting the ACSS from Arnaud? FWIW I like "Arnauds Cool Spring System" name even more than the "Advanced Carving Spring System."

How did it go and what is the price tag?

I`m very interested to try it out after reading the recent thread raving about how good the Bomber RAB system is.