Note to New Members ×

CATEK Patent Expiring—Anything new?

Mord

1 hour ago, teach said:

Those PHK look like the Catek idea, but actually (according to the description on the PHK site) the cant/lift is achieved through a Bomber-style 3 degree disk you rotate under the sole plate.

Also a little TD1 influence with the bumpers. 

Looks like two cant discs that you can rotate with respect to each other and to the binding to achieve fine adjustments in cant and lift. This is basically a derivative of a mashup of Catek and Bomber and Burton Unicant. I like it a lot. I had envisioned this for the TD4 many years ago. But Walker is working on something else to hopefully attract F2 converts. 🤫

h-uno-01-1024x1024-1.jpg

Hey John,

I broke the spherical nut on my Cateks earlier this season. (see the thread"Catek users please read")  I was going to invert the bolt and put nylock nut  on top as you did but you need to hold the bolt from turning.  Is that a allen socket machined in the end of the bolt?  If so great idea.  I was going to just grind the end of the bolt to put a wrench on it.  any interest in machining a few bolts for me??

Joe

On 3/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, Mr.E said:

I rode old WC for years. I don't remember direct contact- maybe the old CAT or Rhino's? I may be mistaken, but I thought the donut also provided a certain amount of compression on the system in addition to buffering the stress risers at the edge of the disc (both at the outer and inner diameter of the donut).

Curiouse if you have all of the liability and product coverage for these? 

I'd also be interested in bail versions if you go that far. I think reinforced nylon levers ala PHK would be a rad addition to these.  Pretty sure these are availabe as an OEM purchase.

The first Catek bindings had a ring that was really thick and left an air gap under the bolt area of the base plate. . I never understood this because it facilitated insert suck but you were, in fact, riding on the rubber. 
Catek changed this with the OS1 which basically has a thinner rubber ring and allowed the body of the bindings to contact the board. I believe there was less than 1 mm of air gap which again aided in a very small amount of insert suck until the 2 made contact. The rubber rings on the OS1 only did anything as the board bent into it. Once they added the Polycarbonate sub plate, I believe this ring did virtually nothing. After riding both I  feel no difference at all. 
As far insurances go I’m looking into it. 

On 3/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, daveo said:

Tribute reference gone begging......... Thought we had a connection, man. :cool:

Wanna go do karate in the garage?

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, Johno212 said:

CEB98709-1E13-4D70-BE8E-9B135C093B84.jpeg

6B7EB6C4-D27B-4F8B-9F4D-00C9553B8C59.jpeg

Folks will have suggestions for improvements to fit their own personal needs, and raise CYA issues, but to me this is just incredible.  A man had a personal need and just up and built the solution... out of aluminum... with a CNC... from scratch. 

My hats off to you sir.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, jl1 said:

Hey John,

I broke the spherical nut on my Cateks earlier this season. (see the thread"Catek users please read")  I was going to invert the bolt and put nylock nut  on top as you did but you need to hold the bolt from turning.  Is that a allen socket machined in the end of the bolt?  If so great idea.  I was going to just grind the end of the bolt to put a wrench on it.  any interest in machining a few bolts for me??

Joe

Hi Joe. I machined my own sphere nuts and just installed a set screw which already had the female hex. Used red lock tight to secure them together. Worked very well. 

Just now, Johno212 said:

Hi Joe. I machined my own sphere nuts and just installed a set screw which already had the female hex. Used red lock tight to secure them together. Worked very well. 

Didn’t you say you broke an OS2 style nut?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, rjnakata said:

Folks will have suggestions for improvements to fit their own personal needs, and raise CYA issues, but to me this is just incredible.  A man had a personal need and just up and built the solution... out of aluminum... with a CNC... from scratch. 

My hats off to you sir.

Thank you. I value peoples input but at the end of the day, I did what I saw needed doing. I very much appreciate your kind words. 

Johno I am a Bomber guy but enjoy looking at these so much if I had a money tree I'd buy a set for the coffee table just so I could admire your engineering. Respect.

Edited by Lurch
Quality never gets old.