Note to New Members ×

CATEK Patent Expiring—Anything new?

Mord

3 hours ago, neanderthal said:

Awesome!!!

What would be the downside of.directly mounting this to a snowboard instead of a plate?

Bomber advise against it and say ' do at your own risk' - I did ask Walker about it once and he gave me a logical enough answer to stop me in my tracks with that exercise; can't quite remember the exact details, but think it may be something to do with the BP lower centers not being designed to deal with the board flexing under them and possibly deforming enough to disengage the teeth and allowing the cant to turn. They are a LOT thinner.

16129353678635057041844347999178.jpg

Edited by Lurch
Happy to be corrected here - they work fine on Geckos and Bruce was ok with it.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:06 AM, Johno212 said:

Hello all. 
I am a machinist located in SLC UT. 
I’ve  been riding Catek’s since the late 90’s. 
I’m thinking of reproducing the OS1’s in step in configuration only and looking to se if there’s any interest. 
I’ve reproduced all of the parts digitally and am about to start cutting a few pairs. 

Johno212 - This is great news!  I have wished I had the tools and skills to make modifications to Cateks, and you're going way beyond by making whole new bindings.  I do have a suggestion.  An annoyance with Cateks is that there is nothing to keep the toe bail on a step-in binding (or heel bail on a standard binding) from flopping down.  It's very easy to bump the bail with your boot and push it down when trying to clip in.  Then you have to reach down and pull the bail back up.  TD3 bindings have a ledge machined into the toe block to hold the bail up and perhaps that's something that you could add to your Catek "revival" bindings.  Here's a photo with the ledge circled:

1719425555_TD3Ledge.jpg.827807d5745cadebcd7a1e963f4a5afa.jpg

Alternately, you could add/bend an extra nib on the bail itself as shown below:

1880750766_BailwithNib.jpg.44f3eb4bd12ee62b232abf6b62a48e81.jpg

The extra nib could engage somewhere on the toe block to hold the bail up.  A photo is shown below, but it's just to give an idea of what I'm talking about - there are a couple of ways that a nib could rest against some surface to limit the amount that the toe bail can rotate.  The nib sticking toward the back of the binding and coming up underneath the toe block might work well (it was harder to make an understandable picture showing that with my image editor).  And, of course, the nib can't stick up as far as in my picture or it will hit the boot sole.  But hopefully, you get the idea.

1667542041_BailwithNib-2.jpg.3b1f68496f39c88584e86fae3fdffbd6.jpg

The upright position of the bail is pretty critical.  The bail has to be just high enough that you can slip the toe ledge on the boot under it when stepping in, but then when you lower your heel into the step-in receiver, the toe bail has to lift just a bit.

Once again, I applaud your efforts to revive the Cateks.

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 2

I’m thinking I would add either an aluminum feature or even a screw inserted on the side so the head acted as a stop. 
finished my toe bail bending fixtures today and I’m quite pleased. 
Updates to follow.  
I’m thinking about a slightly enlarged short plate for a single plate option. 

6D415E6E-59D2-4DEC-B0AF-416C36511EC6.jpeg

On 2/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, Johno212 said:

In order to utilize the steel heel receiver from Bomber I’d need to create a spacer that provides clearance for the 2 rear canting screws. 
OR

I create a steel receiver that utilizes the Catek hole pattern and clears the canting screws

OR

I just reproduce the aluminum one. 
Thoughts?

What is the rub with the Aluminum heel anyway?

fit? I can adjust that

If you could inlay steel on the ramp to the pin hole you would solve the main issue with the Aluminum heel reciever

In order to utilize the steel heel receiver from Bomber I’d need to create a spacer that provides clearance for the 2 rear canting screws. 

Yes.  I widened the slots in a TD3 heel receiver to work with Cateks, and also had to grind out clearance for those canting screws.  I do prefer the steel.  The steel pins on Intec or Fintec heels will wear a groove in aluminum receivers and round off the top of the hole that the pin engages in.  There also seems to be more friction when the aluminum galls making it less smooth as you press your heel down into the receiver.

Catek-TD3-1.jpg.f83d1739f516ab107845e2fe0ac5f15b.jpg

1.jpg.9e77c2ee3b484af928b20fca9ecff059.jpg

• Like 1

OR

I create a steel receiver that utilizes the Catek hole pattern and clears the canting screws

OR

I just reproduce the aluminum one. 
Thoughts?

What is the rub with the Aluminum heel anyway?

fit? I can adjust that

I have steel receivers on my cateks. I am not sure who made them but they appear to be drilled out for more than just cateks. I will post pictures.   

14 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Thanks. I never found a website for them, just saw them advertised in Carving magazine years ago. Still not clear where one can actually purchase them. Looks to me like they've taken ideas from other products and tweaked them or combined them.

• 1 month later...

Impressive, neat and clean job....👍

Catek may be "old school" now, the design is still up to date (adjustability speaking), so well done mate !...

Let's see what's coming next.......always good to see passionate people pushing things ahead....!

• Thanks 1

When Catek’s first came out and were directly mounted the the board, the rubber ring provided protection from creating a pinch point as the board flexed. Metal boards required a sub plate thus marking the ring redundant IMO. The bottom of my baseplate is only flat under the mounting screw locations and is saucer shaped out to the edge of the baseplate. This plus the Polycarbonate sub plate alleviate stress risers. 

On 3/20/2021 at 2:28 AM, slapos said:

Hi John o

Are you planning to make a standard bail one to fit mountain slope 951?

I need to look and see how difficult it’ll me to make a toe lever and toe and heel bails. Older Catek toe lever parts will swap but that redundant I suppose. 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:11 AM, daveo said:

Hey @Johno212, just curious if you think this might be... the best binding in the world? 

I would never make a claim like that....

For me, it gives me everything I want. 

I rode old WC for years. I don't remember direct contact- maybe the old CAT or Rhino's? I may be mistaken, but I thought the donut also provided a certain amount of compression on the system in addition to buffering the stress risers at the edge of the disc (both at the outer and inner diameter of the donut).

Curiouse if you have all of the liability and product coverage for these? 

I'd also be interested in bail versions if you go that far. I think reinforced nylon levers ala PHK would be a rad addition to these.  Pretty sure these are availabe as an OEM purchase.

Those PHK look like the Catek idea, but actually (according to the description on the PHK site) the cant/lift is achieved through a Bomber-style 3 degree disk you rotate under the sole plate.

Also a little TD1 influence with the bumpers. 

Edited by teach
Can't ignore the TD1