Note to New Members ×

What facemasks are people using on the hill?

queequeg

1 hour ago, MNSurfer said:

Anyone else ride with just sunglasses? I can't stand goggles. I see @lonbordin has a suggestion, but I've used masks like this, to no avail; Just fogs right up. Lately I've just been squinting. Maybe that'll just have to be this year's solution.

I was in the same boat until I found the mask I mentioned. 

I was seriously considering no goggles or glasses this season... The fogging was driving me NUTS!

Like boots it seems mask fit is paramount.

21 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Like boots it seems mask fit is paramount.

The KN95 masks easily available on Amazon fit really well. I (and a few others) have found it solves the fogging problem. They can get a little damp after 2/3 hours, but that because they are working and not letting any air escape when you exhale. Most of the KN95s fold flat, so it's easy to keep a spare in a pocket. Definitely the way to go if you want the best protection for yourself.

Edited by BobD

I picked up this mask from backcountry.com. https://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-backcountry-face-mask?s=a Didn't like it for "normal" wear because it goes around the back of the head, rather than hooking behind the ears. It's great for riding because of the way it fits on the helmet.  

I keep it attached to my helmet using the same clip in the back that secures my goggles. It doubles as a cover to stop my goggles from getting scratched after I'm done riding.  

It's effective protection from COVID. It has double-layer fabric that can hold a filter and includes two PM2.5 activated carbon filters. 

I'm usually breathing pretty hard during and after a run, so I usually have it below my chin while riding, then pull it up to my nose before getting to the lift line. So far, so good. Ducked the virus in some crowded Hunter Mtn chaos. 

image.png.63ac79b7717f739e79b4381b09178137.pngimage.png.33d800867254bc904431da2978e3a371.pngimage.png.2a43c7f8e4412abc192584b31c7bb2e7.pngimage.png.a29a0507013d54302d8f57ea9a96ebf6.png

Preview attachment IMG_5428.jpg

Stay safe and think snow,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...