Note to New Members ×

What facemasks are people using on the hill?

queequeg

I looked into the ANON m4 goggles with the integrated magnetic face mask, but it would appear that the mask that it comes with has a patch of big old breathing holes, making it fairly useless for the capture / supression of water droplets. I am guessing I could just wear a KN95 and be done with it but I wonder what people are wearing to keep themselves and those around them safe on the mountain?

The Underarmor mask works well and in fact is my favorite for other purposes also. It forms a good seal around the bridge of the nose and causes no fogging with either the Smith I/O or the OutdoorMaster goggles. It's available in a range of sizes - I wear XL/XXL for my size 7 7/8 head.

• Like 1

We have been using these around town and at the hill when it is warmer.  https://www.dickpondathletics.com/performance-running-face-mask/

We have regular double layer merino wool ones for colder days.  Most people I have seen on the ski hills of Montana this year are wearing a neck gaiter.  

We are getting some fleece lined neck gaiters made for MCC complete with cool MCC logo!  I will post pictures when we get some at the house.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dredman said:

We have been using these around town and at the hill when it is warmer.  https://www.dickpondathletics.com/performance-running-face-mask/

We have regular double layer merino wool ones for colder days.  Most people I have seen on the ski hills of Montana this year are wearing a neck gaiter.  

We are getting some fleece lined neck gaiters made for MCC complete with cool MCC logo!  I will post pictures when we get some at the house.  

Thanks @dredman!

I'm wearing a Blackstrap balaclava.  It's two layers of neoprene so I think it's ok.  Plus I stay the heck away from people.  I can't be responsible for the people behind me in lift line who straddle my board.

BlackStrap_Kids_Hood_Balaclava_Solid_Bla

I'm seeing a not insignificant number of these on the hill...

81ZEDB0-r3L._AC_UY445_.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @jack! Depressing to hear that mountains are permitting people to slide with traditional perforated masks, I am surprised those have not been outlawed. 

Looking forward to seeing the MCC gaiters! I don’t usually ride with anything covering my lower jaw, because it never really seems to get particularly cold in Tahoe (either that or I’ve been very lucky) but I suspect MCC will be a lot colder and that I’ll be happy to have my mug concealed — I’m gonna buy a few different options to see which one works out best for me. 

Every now and then a liftie will do mask patrol in the roped off space between maze lines.  I'm wondering when they will start pulling passes for standing in a crowded lift line with your mask down.

5 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Depressing to hear that mountains are permitting people to slide with traditional perforated masks

But they force the lifties sitting in the shacks all alone to wear masks.  CYA.  Optics.

4 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Every now and then a liftie will do mask patrol in the roped off space between maze lines.  I'm wondering when they will start pulling passes for standing in a crowded lift line with your mask down.

But they force the lifties sitting in the shacks all alone to wear masks.  CYA.  Optics.

Woof. I really feel for the the way essential/low-wage/blue-collar workers have borne the brunt of unequal treatment throughout this thing, it’s just so painfully unfair. They have to work to survive in these economically unfair times and have so little control over the amount of risk they must take on. 

I'm just using a Carhart poly/spandex balaclava. I pull it up over my nose in line at the bottom and during the ride up on the high-speed quad if I ride up with 1 other (no more). I pull it down when riding so it doesn't fog my goggles. The risk of exposure is virtually non existent while flying down the hill, and I'm usually trying to keep my distance from others on the hill anyway.

Spirit Mt is enforcing masks in lift lines and won't let you board the chair without proper covering. Gaiters and such seem to be okay as long as you have your mouth & nose covered. They will clip your ticket each time you don't comply and pull your ticket after 3 times or suspend your pass for a week. Most Minnesotans are rule followers, so there have been few incidences of non-compliance (probably skiers from WI :eek:). Minnesotans are excellent passive/aggressives and are more likely to wear the mask and no pants, just to make a point.

A soon as a case is linked to a ski resort it's over for everyone. It's so easy to cover up.  Plus, it's usually so cold here we're doing that already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've got a real nice polar fleece 2 layer with metal nose profiler and adhere to all covid 19 proto-calls but alas all resorts are closed till the 22nd of Jan. I'm not holding my breath on that happening as it appears everyone everywhere is behaving badly. That is something we should all learn from this pandemic. Don't rely on others for your own safety.                                                                                      And to top it off  I've got two sled ready to go and no snow forecast for the next week. 

• Like 1

Thin neck gaiters are my preference.

Sometimes I wear some thin neoprene abomination of a mask, that Cypress provided x3 to all employees. They are too small but for the smallest female faces. Also, they clog with moisture, so one can not breathe properly. 

Once I used a surgical mask, when I forgot everything else... It was actually OK. 

• Like 1